Questions about Godzilla vs The Sea Monster US DVD

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
o.supreme
Futurian

Questions about Godzilla vs The Sea Monster US DVD

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings All,

I know we had threads about this on the old forum, but I believe the link to the archive is no longer available. Admittedly, I purchased this DVD when it first came out in early 2005. I watched it once, and not again until recently. I've always preferred the Walter Reade version, and continue to watch that version. Anyway, I had some questions (which I know were brought up by others before), as to why Sony/Tri-Star released this film under the "Americanized" title rather than the International title "Ebirah-Horror of the Deep". I'm sure much of it has to do with marketability. But additionally I was wondering:

1.Who crerated the title card & opening credits for the Sony 2005 DVD?
2. Does an "Ebirah: Horror of the deep" Title Card and/or English opening credits print exist elsewhere?

Any asisstance is appreciated. Thank you.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Questions about Godzilla vs The Sea Monster US DVD

Post by Terasawa »

1. I'm pretty sure someone at Sony created the new titles and credits for SEA MONSTER.
2. There is a version with the EBIRAH title, though I've never seen it. It's the same as the Sony DVD, except with the EBIRAH title and original credits (which Sony ended up redoing). It was released on VHS in the 90s in the UK.

The Sony version of SON OF GODZILLA is slightly different from the true international version, too. Sony again redid all the titles and credits, but this time just to make them small enough for fullscreen viewing. So, in other words, it's the international version with the original title card (just reduced in size) and computer-generated credits instead of the original hand-drawn ones. The original international version was released in the UK by the same label that did EBIRAH.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

And here is Ebirah's title card:

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Thanks for confirming my suspicions Cody. I wasn't aware of the UK VHS however. Hmm... a couple more obscurities to add to the list of items I need to track down.

*edit" Thanks SHM! I love seing stuff like this. :)
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Toho's LA office has a 35mm print of EBIRAH: HORROR OF THE DEEP with the international dub and credits. It was licensed to Sony in the early 2000s but I don't know if Sony still has it or if the print is back with Toho now. Sony also struck a brand-new English subtitled 35mm print in 2004 for the Godzilla 50th anniversary festivals. The subtitled title on the print was GODZILLA, MOTHRA AND EBIRAH: HORROR OF THE DEEP (sort of a mashup of the Japanese and international titles)... I assume this was done to get Godzilla's name in there while staying close to the title of their English dubbed print.

For the DVD, Sony went with the more familiar American title because Godzilla is a marketable brand while Ebirah has no name value for retailers or general audiences.

RyanClark
Monarch Researcher

Post by RyanClark »

I recently got the British Ebirah VHS, and I noticed the opening credits were very similar to the redone Sony ones. I also think it was the film Sony mistakenly typos Masaru Sato's name as "Mararu" Sato (it was either this film or Son of Godzilla). Also considering Sony was able to do this with a few of the films, is it safe to assume Toho still has the "clean"/textless copies of the Showa films?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

May I ask how you were able to watch it? I know where I can get one now, just not sure about overcoming the PAL VHS format.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Ryan has a PAL VHS player, I believe.

I have the same VHS. A friend of mine went to school in Oxford, England a few years back, and she found it at a thrift store right around the corner from her school. I also have the PAL release of TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA, which includes the international version which has also never been released in the U.S.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Thanks Goji, just to clarify, you are referring to the International Opening Credits correct? because everything else about the film (TOMG) should be the same.

I've heard that there are some VHS players that will play tapes for both NTSC & PAL signal, just not sure if this is true, or where to find one. I wish these versions would have been released on DVD in the UK, would be so much simpler as I own a region free DVD player.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Yessir, it's more or less the same as the TV version that CM released on DVD, except that it features the international title screen (which is much more bad ass), different credits, and a different End card. It also has the topless scene with Katsura. Tamura restored the international credits, and posted them on his youtube page. I don't want to link it though, for obvious reasons. You can find it really easily though.

I too would love a NTSC/PAL VHS player. I have heard they exist, but I haven't made it a priority to research the options.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Rockzilla »

I think the CM dvd also cuts out Titanosaurus stomping on that kid.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ You sure? I'm pretty sure that's still in there. I would have to double check.

It was most definitely cut out of the Bob Cohn version. Actually, that version doesn't even have the shot of Titano and the kids in the same frame. I don't see why it was necessary to cut that out at all.

Man, that version really is terrible. I can't believe I watched it for 20 years before the CM release dropped..

RyanClark
Monarch Researcher

Post by RyanClark »

Yes, I have a PAL/NTSC player. I found it by dumb luck for $7. Here's another question: While Godzilla is definitely far more marketable, why not just have the box title be Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster, and the film itself be Ebirah? Like how, for example, Classic Media released Invasion of Astro Monster and All Monsters Attack under those titles, but still had the US cuts intact (or relatively so, in Monster Zero's case). Although their release had the Japanese version, I think Madman put out the film as Godzilla vs. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

Geez, had no idea that this film was called by so many titles; good thing I just call it Sea Monster. :)

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

As I continue to obtain various different cuts of different Toho films (my old list is complete hooray!) I am now going after the few rarities I know exist. Can anyone confirm- Do the Madman R4 DVD's of Sea Monster & Son of Godzilla use the same title sequences Sony created for their R1 DVD's, or do they have the international title sequenes (Ebirah Horror of the deep etc...). I figured I might have better luck trying to obtain Madman R4's, than the PAL VHS's , but any informaiton is appreciated.

Emperor5353
Monsterland Worker

Post by Emperor5353 »

I have the Madman dvd's of both, but sadly sold my other Sony dvd's when I got these...can you post a pic of the Sony so I can compare? I will do anything to help you here

This is title of Son of Godzilla on the Madman dvd

Here is Ebirah

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Cool, Thank you. I should have known Madman would have used the original Japanese Title Cards. I was looking for variations of The English ones. There are 3 known to Exist for Ebirah (aka Sea Monster)

International English Version 9only available on UK VHS)

The other two are the Walter Reade version released in the United States, and the Sony DVD version. I'll post screen caps as soon as i can.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

From what I understand, all of the Madman Godzilla releases utilize the Japanese versions of the films, and use the R2's as their source for the video/Japanese audio.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I wonder if Toho supplied PAL transfers or if Madman just converted the NTSC versions to PAL.