Zone Fighter DVD?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Starsteam
Keizer

Re: Zone Fighter DVD?

Post by Starsteam »

Godzillian wrote:I could see shout releasing the series on DVD but its prob not very likely
Outside of Power Rangers, their Toku Stuff is not selling well. BigBadBeetleborgs Season 2 vol 2 was cancelled, and they are no plans to continue with Ultraman. I doubt we'll be seeing much more.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

starsteam wrote: Outside of Power Rangers, their Toku Stuff is not selling well. BigBadBeetleborgs Season 2 vol 2 was cancelled, and they are no plans to continue with Ultraman. I doubt we'll be seeing much more.
Ugh, really? :( Have they said that?

I'm guessing Godzilla titles would be our best bet, and even then I don't know about Showa titles. Shout! and Mill Creek were really the only ones to do that kind of stuff.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

starsteam wrote:
Godzillian wrote:I could see shout releasing the series on DVD but its prob not very likely
Outside of Power Rangers, their Toku Stuff is not selling well. BigBadBeetleborgs Season 2 vol 2 was cancelled, and they are no plans to continue with Ultraman. I doubt we'll be seeing much more.
I don't know. It could be very different once they reach is 20th anniversary. And besides, they could re air some of these shows and bolster popularity for them.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Being labeled as an anniversary title isn't going to help them sell any better. Beetleborgs and VR Troopers simply don't have the same name recognition as something like Power Rangers, and to some extent, Ultraman. Also, TV rights are different from home video rights, and I sincerely doubt S!F has both.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Does anyone here actually own the Zone Fighter DVD? I swear a new version came out recently.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah, Toho just released the show in 4 or 5 volumes in Japan. No subs though.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Kink Kong
Ronin

Post by Kink Kong »

I have all the volumes of the new release. Unfortunately it's cropped to fill up a widescreen TV so it's not even in the original aspect ratio. It's very annoying. No special features or subs.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Kink Kong wrote:I have all the volumes of the new release. Unfortunately it's cropped to fill up a widescreen TV so it's not even in the original aspect ratio. It's very annoying. No special features or subs.
I know this sounds like an odd request, but could you watch episodes 9 and 25 and check if Spider Uros actually fires an energy beam?
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Can remember seeing a DVD boxset on Mandarake in 2012.

Going for 120K+ yen.

So your SOL.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I would love for a release with subs, heck any release that is easy to get.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Kink Kong wrote:I have all the volumes of the new release. Unfortunately it's cropped to fill up a widescreen TV so it's not even in the original aspect ratio. It's very annoying. No special features or subs.
Any idea if the recent DVDs have Japanese captions? I read a listing claiming they do, but I'd take that with a grain of salt. If so, that might be a good way of finally getting the series subbed to some capacity. They'd be far from perfect, but serviceable enough.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Any idea if the recent DVDs have Japanese captions? I read a listing claiming they do, but I'd take that with a grain of salt. If so, that might be a good way of finally getting the series subbed to some capacity. They'd be far from perfect, but serviceable enough.
Nope. No Japanese subs, either. Only has the episode select and 3 special features, at least for the 1st volume.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

So, I'm checking this out to see if he's the real deal...
https://www.patreon.com/user/overview?u=2795074

Otherwise, it appears that only episodes 2, 4, 6, 13, and 25 have been fansubbed... although DeadFish once did episodes 4-6, so theoretically episode 5 is out there, somewhere; I am tracking down that lead. Although, if KaijuGeek is legit... that searching will be unnecessary any longer.

Added in 22 hours 36 minutes 12 seconds:
Arrrrrgh. Such a painful saga... I posted for the campaign, the guy wrote me that he would send me the Zone Fighter subs, but to drop the subscription, because he had decided the project (from a year ago, and I was the first Patron) wasn't going to work. Then he deleted his account.

Classic scam, right?

Except he sent me the Zone Fighter episode 1 subtitles. :shock:

And obviously, I want to write him to fully fund the Zone Fighter translations if they aren't done; heck, they may already be, and he might've meant to send me all of them- but with his account deleted, there's no way to contact him!

I feel rather like Elsa at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. "I can almost reach it...!"

The search continues, but I've got 6 and a partial seventh episodes to start with...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

Mandarake has the DVDs from the set, but with no slipcase. Great deal at around $75 though
https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/det ... 5&ref=list

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zone ... dventure#/
I can't determine how legitimate this is but it looks promising.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Loganrules115 wrote:https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zone ... dventure#/
I ran it, so I think it's pretty legit. ;) We've already produced a subtitle for episode 21, and episode 7 just kicked off today. I'm in discussions with someone who has translated 1-6 but not released them yet to see if we can combine resources and stretch the budget further; but otherwise, we've funded translating all but episodes 16, 20, and 23, with translations currently being planned to proceed at the pace of 1-per-week and finishing up the first week of November or so.

I will, of course, be happy to share freely with TK once completed. Right now the primary concern- though I don't think there is anything too legally questionable going on- is keeping a low enough profile to avoid bringing the hammer of Toho down on our heads. ;)

I'm planning to put together a closed Facebook group for the contributors to post status updates for the project; anyone here interested in following it will be welcome to join, too. (Just shoot me a PM).
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Nice! I'd imagine you're using the newer, better transfers from the recent DVD releases for these?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Right now, I am not using any actual transfers; this funding project is solely for the creation of subtitles. (Again, trying to avoid anything Toho could slap us down for). I do direct users to where someone else has the older transfers uploaded for those that don't have them, but at present, it's kind of 'bring your own raw files, we'll provide the subs.'

Maranatha!

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Zarm wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote:https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zone ... dventure#/
I ran it, so I think it's pretty legit. ;) We've already produced a subtitle for episode 21, and episode 7 just kicked off today. I'm in discussions with someone who has translated 1-6 but not released them yet to see if we can combine resources and stretch the budget further; but otherwise, we've funded translating all but episodes 16, 20, and 23, with translations currently being planned to proceed at the pace of 1-per-week and finishing up the first week of November or so.

I will, of course, be happy to share freely with TK once completed. Right now the primary concern- though I don't think there is anything too legally questionable going on- is keeping a low enough profile to avoid bringing the hammer of Toho down on our heads. ;)

I'm planning to put together a closed Facebook group for the contributors to post status updates for the project; anyone here interested in following it will be welcome to join, too. (Just shoot me a PM).
Awesome! I wish I had thrown buckets of money at the campaign but I discovered it fairly late.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Well, if you're still interested, we are $110 short of finishing the entire series, and still take contributions/send out perks via email! :) (We've actually gotten $90 via paypal since the campaign ended from interested contributors!)
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!