Zone Fighter DVD?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Zone Fighter DVD?

Post by o.supreme »

I'm 36 and like you ahve been a lifelong G-Fan. Unfortunately there is no official North American release at this time, and seemingly no prospects either. The series came out on DVD in Japan quite a while ago, but there has never even been a fan sub (that I know of). Sci-Fi Japan.com has a very thorough episode guide on their site. The only way to view the series at this time is in raw japanese. There are unlicensed DVD copies available if you search hard enough. This forum however does not allow the discussion of where to obtain bootleg copies. I too am hopeful that one day someone will license this series legitimately for distribution in North America, until then I just enjoy what I have. Godzilla makes appearances in 5 of the 26 episodes. King Ghidora is in a 2-parter, and Gigan appears (post G vs. Megalon)in the second Godzilla cameo episode. I was fortunate enough to find out about the series around 1991 through some fan zines.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

o1man
Young Farmer

Post by o1man »

The ones I have are bootlegs but for bootlegs they are pretty good quality. Not all of the episodes are subbed, but so far I have seen 3 that are and they are on disk one. When Classic Media was putting out the first 7 films (unfortunately they couldn't do King Kong Vs. Godzilla) I emailed and asked if they would pick it up. Since it was a few years ago I do not remember their exact answer, but it was something like they were disinclined to pursue it at the time. Perhaps if a petition were to get started and sent to the American studio making the newest film we might persuade them to put it out to whet our appetites. :huge:

Oops. Almost did a bin NO NO! :oops: I almost told where I got mine.

Shōbijin
GPN Volunteer

Post by Shōbijin »

It's funny to see how this show looks better than Megalon in the special-effects departement. The show would be more worthwile too, I guess.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

o1man wrote:The ones I have are bootlegs but for bootlegs they are pretty good quality. Not all of the episodes are subbed, but so far I have seen 3 that are and they are on disk one. When Classic Media was putting out the first 7 films (unfortunately they couldn't do King Kong Vs. Godzilla) I emailed and asked if they would pick it up. Since it was a few years ago I do not remember their exact answer, but it was something like they were disinclined to pursue it at the time. Perhaps if a petition were to get started and sent to the American studio making the newest film we might persuade them to put it out to whet our appetites. :huge:

Oops. Almost did a bin NO NO! :oops: I almost told where I got mine.
Shout! really seems like a company that would do it, if only they had the licence.....
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

kaiju king
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaiju king »

Anyone try [insert bootleg service here that has been removed]

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

It's still rather surprising that this series has not been released in the NA R1 market for reasons already mentioned several times over. Godzilla is a recurring character so they can use him in the cover art and market that name. Advertise Godzilla being in this series! Had Megalon and DAM gone more smoothly then MB might be more keen to look into this and all is not going swimmingly with Mill Creek's Biollante either.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

kaiju king
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaiju king »

Ya it's a shame that these movies don't get (at minimum) the DVD release that "WE" think they deserve. I really don't think that the market is there for these obscure movies. A lot of thing's have got to do with it. But bottom end comes to profit. There's just not a big enough market for this type of stuff. Ya,you can point to Red Barron. Why did it get a DVD release? I don't know maybe it just a anomaly. Zone fighter is a better series IMO, which doesn't mean anything. But The market just isn't there as much as we want to believe it is. Lets look at the biggest market of Japanese sci-fi in this country, hell maybe the world, Godzilla! We have the biggest dedicated convention to a single character in the world,G-fest. And at best we can barley break 2000 attendees. 2000 that's it. & Its not growing by leaps and bounds. Other than grand having & bringing there kids that never been,its pretty much the same crowd. I've been 10 times. Look, it a niche market. If people want to use Red Barron as an example that they released it and not zone fighter & z.f. was a better or more popular series. If that's the case then why don't they release let's say "denjin zaboga" or "sukeban deka"? Those have twice as many episodes than z.f. Its a very narrow market.

Another reason IMO, is this county ( THE GENERAL POPULATION) people are so caught up in the spfx. So many movies nowadays are just spfx w/a story wrapped around it. No really good substance. But that's in Hollywood in general. I.e.all the remakes. I would love

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

kaiju king wrote:Ya it's a shame that these movies don't get (at minimum) the DVD release that "WE" think they deserve. I really don't think that the market is there for these obscure movies. A lot of thing's have got to do with it. But bottom end comes to profit. There's just not a big enough market for this type of stuff. Ya,you can point to Red Barron. Why did it get a DVD release? I don't know maybe it just a anomaly. Zone fighter is a better series IMO, which doesn't mean anything. But The market just isn't there as much as we want to believe it is. Lets look at the biggest market of Japanese sci-fi in this country, hell maybe the world, Godzilla! We have the biggest dedicated convention to a single character in the world,G-fest. And at best we can barley break 2000 attendees. 2000 that's it. & Its not growing by leaps and bounds. Other than grand having & bringing there kids that never been,its pretty much the same crowd. I've been 10 times. Look, it a niche market. If people want to use Red Barron as an example that they released it and not zone fighter & z.f. was a better or more popular series. If that's the case then why don't they release let's say "denjin zaboga" or "sukeban deka"? Those have twice as many episodes than z.f. Its a very narrow market.

Another reason IMO, is this county ( THE GENERAL POPULATION) people are so caught up in the spfx. So many movies nowadays are just spfx w/a story wrapped around it. No really good substance. But that's in Hollywood in general. I.e.all the remakes. I would love
The franchise is to some extent in a bit of a hibernation, so I wouldn't expect significant growth in attendance. Plus number of episodes doesn't really correlate with popularity in the long run. I would say considering the releases we have had of other movies and series, there is undoubtedly a market for it here in the NA R1 market. The issue is more in getting it released here, not the market. Depending on what Toho wants in licensing and all, the initial cost has probably scared off some distributors.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

kaiju king
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaiju king »

I think your absolutely right. I whole heartily agree with you. All the points on this topic r valid, and I agree with most. I'm not going to say NEVER ,But I just don't see it happening. Trust me,this is something I would love to be wrong about.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

kaiju king wrote:Anyone try "-_________"? There zone fighter episodes aren't subtitled but the quantity is very good. I get all my daikaiju DVDs from them.
This thread mainy pertains to the hope of someday obtaining Zone Fighter on DVD legally in North America. I'm sure all of us know "how" to obtain them if we really wanted to. I have a set myself. But as far as I know, these have never been fansubbed anywhere. Also we are not supposed to talk specifically about where to get bootlegs. Just trying to keep you out of trouble, and keep the mods from gettings legal warnings from corporate reps.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Shōbijin wrote:It's funny to see how this show looks better than Megalon in the special-effects departement. The show would be more worthwile too, I guess.
I personally find Zone Fighter to be more enjoyable than Megalon... I guess because it cranks up the cheese a bit more, which helps, and generally has better pacing as well due to the 20 minute format of the episodes.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Arbok wrote:
Shōbijin wrote:It's funny to see how this show looks better than Megalon in the special-effects departement. The show would be more worthwile too, I guess.
I personally find Zone Fighter to be more enjoyable than Megalon... I guess because it cranks up the cheese a bit more, which helps, and generally has better pacing as well due to the 20 minute format of the episodes.
I'm on the same page, for basically the same reasons.

There's something that's always bugged me about Megalon. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about it makes me physically uncomfortable, like I get a little sick to me stomach watching it.

I think it might be something about the movie's color palette and film stock. Something in the tones I'm seeing that's slightly nauseating.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

kaiju king
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaiju king »

TO O.SUPREME: I too I'm from the left coast, so Cal actually. Have you ever been to kimono my house? If u have how is it? I've never made it up that way to go there,just wondering. Ya not sure they are a boot leg distributor. They been in business for like 20 yrs. Commercial grade recording & packing keeps me going back. Toho's attack dogs have not brought any injunctions against them. & we know there very good at that. Heck you write a comic like story in Gfan and they threaten the wrath of yamata on them/us. I think it possibly could be that they could claim it to be "there personal collection"that is being sold. Just a side note:the Democrats in the house are trying bring up a bill that would prohibit any sales of personal property, such as putting a ban on yard/garage sales ect. Also they are working witht the U.N. to tax the" USAGE "of the internet, just saying. Back to point! The best way to put the stop to bootlegs is to put out a quality legitimate product. You don't,some is going to step up and fill that void. Its Called the price of "NOT" doing business. Weather you agree with it or not,if you think its right or wrong,or stealing or not is irrelevant. With technology what it is today & people able to get this stuff through multiple means, legitimate companies need to step up and cash in on there. Own product. If not someone else will,& do.

BTW,O.supreme. Thanks for having my back. That's was cool bro!

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

I wonder if we could get Zone Fighter on DVD from Mill Creek, the distributors of the original Ultraman 1966 series seen here for cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DQSKLU

And soon, this December, Ultraseven series not so cheap...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096W46VW

..would be a better choice than Tokyo Shock (Media Blasters).
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

kaiju king wrote:TO O.SUPREME: I too I'm from the left coast, so Cal actually. Have you ever been to kimono my house? If u have how is it? I've never made it up that way to go there,just wondering. Ya not sure they are a boot leg distributor. They been in business for like 20 yrs. Commercial grade recording & packing keeps me going back. BTW,O.supreme. Thanks for having my back. That's was cool bro!
I'll PM ya :)

borodan
Yojimbo

Post by borodan »

Crimson_Raptor wrote:I wonder if we could get Zone Fighter on DVD from Mill Creek, the distributors of the original Ultraman 1966 series seen here for cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DQSKLU
When it comes to Japanese SFX stuff, so far Mill Creek has really just reissued titles that BCI or ADV previously brought to the US. They did do a new dub for Daimajin Strikes Again, so that might be changing, though.
And soon, this December, Ultraseven series not so cheap...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096W46VW
Compared to the $650 Japanese DVD box!? Also, the new R1 Ultraseven set is from Shout Factory, not Mill Creek.
..would be a better choice than Tokyo Shock (Media Blasters).
I disagree. For all of the complaining that's surrounded their last two releases, Media Blasters has had more successes with Toho than any other existing distributor in the US aside from possibly Janus/Criterion (who I think we can rule out for any TV show releases). They probably haven't burned their bridges quite yet...

Has anyone suggested Meteor Man Zone to Discotek Media? They've been on a tear when it comes to snatching up licenses lately.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I think Discotek would be an awesome fit for Zone Fighter. Shout!Factory might be, but because they own the rights to MST3K, its possible Toho probably dosen't want to deal with them because of the whole Megalon/Sea Monster thing.

U-Tom
Monarch Researcher

Post by U-Tom »

Funny I actually got boot leg Zone Fighter years ago from my brother for Christmas? Anyways sold it about a year ago to Japanese guy lol. I really liked that six armed kaiju with a yellow and black color scheme, sorta looked like a bee?

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

gigan72 wrote:I know where you can get the entire series on DVD, but it is in Japanese language only...
I don't think there's been any official subtitled version or even a fansub of Zone Fighter. Is that correct?

Well, other than this parody video. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HavlKTpxqjY
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

borodan
Yojimbo

Post by borodan »

There's a thing called "Attack of the Galactic Monsters" that has footage from the Godzilla episodes of Zone spliced into War in Space, but I have no idea if it was made with Toho's permission or not. I got it as a bootleg. I wouldn't recommend bothering to track it down, but I am curious if anyone else knows anything about it.