Zone Fighter DVD?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Zone Fighter DVD?

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

borodan, that sounds very interesting. Was this produced abroad (outside of Japan) by some exploitation distributor or something a while ago, or is it more recent or a fan project?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

borodan
Yojimbo

Post by borodan »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:borodan, that sounds very interesting. Was this produced abroad (outside of Japan) by some exploitation distributor or something a while ago, or is it more recent or a fan project?
It was in English, so I doubt this was a Japanese-produced project. The copy I got said 1983, but there were no credits in the video itself, and there's no way to verify that date. I'm inclined to think that it's a fan project since it only uses footage from the Godzilla episodes of Zone, and those are the ones that tend to get circulated in the gray market. That and the fact that it's really poorly intercut, but there have been some atrocious professional jobs out there, too.

A quick google search seems to back up the fanfilm hypothesis (the imdb page was taken down), but none actually say where it came from.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I don't see the intense desire to get this show released on R1, personally. It's cheap fun with that 70s Godzilla feel and even has Godzilla, but IMO there are a ton of other, far better old tokusatsu shows that need to be released in America with subtitles first. It sets a bar and achieves what it tries to be, and it's pretty enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it has the same compelling unpredictability as good episodes of stuff like Return of Ultraman. This is all just my opinion though, and maybe if the series gets subbed, we'll all be able to individually judge it more easily.
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Tamura wrote:I don't see the intense desire to see this show on R1. It's cheap fun with that 70s Godzilla feel and even has Godzilla, but there are a ton of other, far better old tokusatsu shows that need to be released in America with subtitles first. You watch one Zone Fighter episode, you've seen them all. It sets a bar and it achieves at what it tries to be, and it's pretty enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have the same compelling unpredictability as good episodes of stuff like Return of Ultraman. Maybe my opinion about it would change if subs were available, but yeah.
Maybe you should ask Ben to translate it.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Ben is cool.

StriderSubzero
Monsterland Worker

Post by StriderSubzero »

I think people just want to watch it because it's so difficult to see right now. People always want what they can't have.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

StriderSubzero wrote:I think people just want to watch it because it's so difficult to see right now. People always want what they can't have.
Ah, that's very true. You see this kind of thing a lot with obscure/lost movies even if they aren't particularly well regarded by that many people. And if this does get released on R1, it would be really sweet if the distributor did new transfers... the R2s are horrid LD rips with tons of ghosting. It's hard to tell what's going on in the human fight scenes because the frames get blended together in a big, blurry mess.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I think the most reason people want it is because... it has Godzilla.

If a R1 Subtitled copy was ever released I would buy it, I can't say that I cared too much for the show, but it didn't help that I couldn't understand Japanese. It's not the best Tokusatsu show out there, but it is unique for having big-movie monsters.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

If this show delivers the goods in any aspect, it's the special effects scenes. The monster designs are interesting, the fights exciting, and the detail in the miniatures uncanny. There was a lot of talent behind this, and it shows. The special effects scenes justify watching it, IMO. The music is really good, too. This show is enjoyable and I like it, but you just need to have the right expectations of it. It's probably not the greatest tokusatsu series, but it doesn't strive to be that anyway. It's only sincere, harmless, mindless, escapist fun... nothing more, and nothing less. At least that's the way I see it.

I don't want to sound like I'm trying to influence peoples' opinions of this show before they even see it - it's just a bunch of thoughts I've been having about it that I wanted to let go. In a way, this show ought to be more easily available so everybody can have a chance to form their own unique opinions about it and be able to discuss it in detail or whatever.
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I can understand that there are better Tokusatsu shows in need or release in the States, but this is quite different--this is a piece of Showa Godzilla that you're not seeing. Take a minute to process that. :dizzy:

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

That's true too. I do see what y'all are saying. And the Godzilla episodes are pretty rad, along with the King Ghidorah two-parter. It's always fun when Toho's more well-known monsters appear in this. It's like being able to watch 70's Godzilla movies for the first time again (if that makes any sense).

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Speaking as someone who watched dozens upon dozens of Ultraman fight videos while never actually seeing the full episodes, it's just not the same. Even if I'm seeing the whole battle, it doesn't feel like I've really seen it, because I'm only seeing a portion of the story.

That said, I'm not currently very concerned about Zone Fighter, but I would like to see a R1 release someday.

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Rockzilla »

This show needed to be dubbed by axis international SO BAD.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I remember hearing rumors that Classic Media was interested in it back when they were releasing Godzilla films but I doubt they were more then just rumors. I think the best bet would to hope that Shout! factory does a release of it in the near future. After all they are releasing Ultra Q on dvd (which is something I am very excited for :D )

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It wasn't CM who were interested, it was ADV. They passed on it because Toho was asking for absurd amounts of $ for it.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

inframan
Yojimbo

Post by inframan »

I bought the R2 Dvd's years ago, the picture quality was pretty crappy, didn't even have menus on the discs. I ripped copies and sold the originals. Still haven't watched all of them.

obs
Yojimbo

Post by obs »

I would love to have a US Zone Fighter release, and to be honest, the Toho Masters are not nearly as bad as others have said. It obviously could use a good restoration job. I'm a little surprised that Toho has not re-released Zone Fighter on DVD in Japan, or even a Blu-ray Release.
Tokusatsu, above all else.

inframan
Yojimbo

Post by inframan »

Now that I think of I think mine do too, but if I remember correctly they are set up to autoplay and not load the menu when you first insert the disc. It's been a while since I watched these....

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

obs wrote:I would love to have a US Zone Fighter release, and to be honest, the Toho Masters are not nearly as bad as others have said. It obviously could use a good restoration job. I'm a little surprised that Toho has not re-released Zone Fighter on DVD in Japan, or even a Blu-ray Release.
That suggests that even in their domestic market it is a niche franchise. I think I read on here that Toho's Godzilla Blu-Rays didn't sell that great either, but I doubt there is any available information to confirm that.

Still, I wonder if Shout! is willing to get as niche as Ultra Seven and Ultra Q, maybe they'd go a bit higher on the nicheometer and try again for a ZF release. Mill Creek did the Super Robot Red Baron and Iron King releases, and I can't imagine those are more popular than Zone Fighter would be, especially if they advertised how Godzilla and related monsters are in the series. NEVER BEFORE SEEN ON DVD! Lol.

What really matters is how much Toho would want for the complete series. From what we've heard (if it's true) they wanted more the last time than what Shout! was willing to spend on the series.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I could see shout releasing the series on DVD but its prob not very likely