Toho Master Collection now what?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
TohoMan
Young Farmer

Re: Toho Master Collection now what?

Post by TohoMan »

First off I love the Godzilla movies yeah some where better than others but that's ok what bothers me is[JVM calling them all crap [*]some fan you are Godzilla movies aren't made to pick apart there supposed to be fun and a little campy if you can't appreciate of humanitythat don't watch Tokyo Shock put out a 3pk DVDs with The mysterians dubbed in English, Spanish, and of course Japanese. Also Matango with Japanese version , US dubbed version, and also US subtitles version.Theres Evan Varan Japanese version with US dubbing. What movie is GMK and is Godzilla returns Godzilla 1985? Finally is any one going to take over the unfinished Battlezone set by the now bankrupt Far East Monster. Thanks

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

kpa wrote: ADV Films is no longer in business but they released a terrible DESTROY ALL MONSTERS DVD. They also did better discs of GUNHED (Japanese and English dubs) and OROCHI: THE EIGHT-HEADED DRAGON (Japanese and English dubs).
So with ADV, for example, being out of business, who has the rights to their Toho releases now, such as Gunhed? Do they automatically revert back to Toho? And since you can still find new copies of some ADV releases, where do all the profits go now? Just random questions.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Tohosaurus wrote:And since you can still find new copies of some ADV releases, where do all the profits go now? Just random questions.
Cimmerian Dragon is right about profits from new sales of old DVDs. As for your other questions...
So with ADV, for example, being out of business, who has the rights to their Toho releases now, such as Gunhed? Do they automatically revert back to Toho?
Not automatically, no... that would depend on the conditions stated in the licensing contract. In general, if a company like ADV licenses a film for x number of years then the film remains their asset until that time expires. And if that company folds they can sell off that asset to another company to cover losses or pay off creditors. In most cases, Toho would have to buy back the rights they'd sold or wait for them to expire before they could offer the film to another distributor.

When ADV went out of business their assets were divided among a handful of companies who currently release DVDs and Blu-rays through distributor Section 23Films. GUNHED is currently the only old ADV tokusatsu title still listed in their press archive. The rights for DAM, the Gamera trilogy and the Daimajin films obviously expired as those movies were re-licensed to other labels. And since OROCHI and the YOKAI trilogy aren't listed by Section23, they've likely also reverted back to Toho and Kadokawa, respectively.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

First off I love the Godzilla movies yeah some where better than others but that's ok what bothers me is[JVM calling them all crap [*]some fan you are Godzilla movies aren't made to pick apart there supposed to be fun and a little campy if you can't appreciate of humanitythat don't watch
I said most are crap, not all. Boo-hoo I'm not nice to Godzilla movies - there isn't more than a handful of fans on this board who is going to say "I love all Godzilla films!!!" No movie is made to be picked apart, but you can't put yourself out in the entertainment industry and just expect people to enjoy your work. Comedies aren't always funny, Horror flicks aren't always scary, and Monster movies aren't always half-decent.

More importantly, Godzilla films aren't about fun and camp. There isn't anything 'fun' or 'campy' about the original 1954 classic - it's a political and social commentary on the horrors of atomic warfare, the use of the atom bomb on Japan, and the long-term effects and repercussions of nuclear weapons as well as mankind.

Camp and fun is what the seventies films are about, and I don't nessecarily mean those (or even only those.)
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

kpa wrote: Not automatically, no... that would depend on the conditions stated in the licensing contract. In general, if a company like ADV licenses a film for x number of years then the film remains their asset until that time expires. And if that company folds they can sell off that asset to another company to cover losses or pay off creditors. In most cases, Toho would have to buy back the rights they'd sold or wait for them to expire before they could offer the film to another distributor.

When ADV went out of business their assets were divided among a handful of companies who currently release DVDs and Blu-rays through distributor Section 23Films. GUNHED is currently the only old ADV tokusatsu title still listed in their press archive. The rights for DAM, the Gamera trilogy and the Daimajin films obviously expired as those movies were re-licensed to other labels. And since OROCHI and the YOKAI trilogy aren't listed by Section23, they've likely also reverted back to Toho and Kadokawa, respectively.
Awesome. So just to clarify: while Yamato Takeru and the Yokai trilogy are (probably) back in Toho's hands, Gunhed is still an ADV asset and Toho may just be waiting for ADV's rights to expire?
고질라

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Tohosaurus wrote:Awesome. So just to clarify: while Yamato Takeru and the Yokai trilogy are (probably) back in Toho's hands, Gunhed is still an ADV asset and Toho may just be waiting for ADV's rights to expire?
Like I said, GUNHED is the only one of the old ADV toku titles still listed in Section23's press files so apparently they still have rights to it. Without knowing when the ADV deal was set to expire-- or if ADV or Section23 may have renewed it-- it's impossible to say what Toho's plans are. Toho tends to take a "bird in the hand is better" approach to licensing, so if Section23 did/does want to renew the ADV agreement Toho would likely accept it rather than try to find a new buyer for a marginal title like GUNHED. Based on the info I have that's about as specific as i can get.

One quick correction: the Yokai trilogy would revert to Kadokawa, not Toho. I'm sure you know that, but if I didn't mention it someone else surely would.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

kpa wrote: Like I said, GUNHED is the only one of the old ADV toku titles still listed in Section23's press files so apparently they still have rights to it. Without knowing when the ADV deal was set to expire-- or if ADV or Section23 may have renewed it-- it's impossible to say what Toho's plans are. Toho tends to take a "bird in the hand is better" approach to licensing, so if Section23 did/does want to renew the ADV agreement Toho would likely accept it rather than try to find a new buyer for a marginal title like GUNHED. Based on the info I have that's about as specific as i can get.

One quick correction: the Yokai trilogy would revert to Kadokawa, not Toho. I'm sure you know that, but if I didn't mention it someone else surely would.
Er, yeah that. I was just wondering because Yamato Takeru and Gunhed are ever so slightly getting more difficult to find (and pricier in the case of the former) but both were issued in 2003(?) so they aren't "old" enough -much less popular enough- to get a new release.
고질라

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

GUNHED is dirt cheap on amazon.com. YAMATO..not so much.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Goji wrote:GUNHED is dirt cheap on amazon.com. YAMATO..not so much.
Yeah, hence me saying it was the former (YT) that's getting pricier.
고질라

TohoMan
Young Farmer

Post by TohoMan »

Hey JVM you may be right about the 1954 GKM Japanese version it was and still is a dark movie about mans stupidity , but I know that no matter what Godzilla I'm watching I find something I like except the fake NY Godzilla. It's a shame when someone takes them selves so seriously that they just can't chill watch a DVD and accept it for what and when it is. So BOOHOO to you and by the way your not the spokesman for all the people on this site thank god your mind is closed stop taking yourself so seriously

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

TohoMan wrote:Hey JVM you may be right about the 1954 GKM Japanese version it was and still is a dark movie about mans stupidity , but I know that no matter what Godzilla I'm watching I find something I like except the fake NY Godzilla. It's a shame when someone takes them selves so seriously that they just can't chill watch a DVD and accept it for what and when it is. So BOOHOO to you and by the way your not the spokesman for all the people on this site thank god your mind is closed stop taking yourself so seriously
Take 'er easy there partner. I don't think he's taking himself too seriously, and in any event I think he's at least partially right. Many Godzilla movies aren't "good" movies. Don't confuse that with enjoyment though. A person can fully enjoy or love a "bad" or "mediocre" movie.
고질라

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Tohosaurus wrote:
Goji wrote:GUNHED is dirt cheap on amazon.com. YAMATO..not so much.
Yeah, hence me saying it was the former (YT) that's getting pricier.
I missed the "in the case of the former" part somehow, my bad.

I'm really glad I found YAMATO at a used DVD/record shop for a measly $6 a couple of years. I'm honestly pretty surprised how much second hand copies are going for on amazon right now.
TohoMan wrote:Hey JVM you may be right about the 1954 GKM Japanese version it was and still is a dark movie about mans stupidity , but I know that no matter what Godzilla I'm watching I find something I like except the fake NY Godzilla. It's a shame when someone takes them selves so seriously that they just can't chill watch a DVD and accept it for what and when it is. So BOOHOO to you and by the way your not the spokesman for all the people on this site thank god your mind is closed stop taking yourself so seriously
Are you David Nunez?

I can understand ocassionally getting upset with some of the things JVM says..but I don't really understand what you're even complaining about here. :eh: Your post is such a garbled mess, it just seems like a stream of consciousness, more than anything.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Goji wrote: I'm really glad I found YAMATO at a used DVD/record shop for a measly $6 a couple of years. I'm honestly pretty surprised how much second hand copies are going for on amazon right now.
I'll have to make an Amazon run for YT. Actually I might have to make a run for G85 and Biollante because I got my VHS copies of the movies that still don't have DVD releases wayyy back when they first came out. They aren't looking so great anymore.
고질라

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Finding new unused VHS is probably going to be difficult, if not expensive. If you have the capability, you could just transfer copies to DVD for your own personal use, thats what I did with all my Toho films that dont currently have Licensed R1 DVD releases.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

o.supreme wrote:Finding new unused VHS is probably going to be difficult, if not expensive. If you have the capability, you could just transfer copies to DVD for your own personal use, thats what I did with all my Toho films that dont currently have Licensed R1 DVD releases.
I wasn't planning on new for that very reason. ;) I am pretty incapable right now of doing a convert but I may try this summer. Just have to see. Or I may try to find a cheap region free DVD player from Amazon or something and order these region 3s:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/godzilla-vs-b ... /info.html
http://www.yesasia.com/us/the-return-of ... /info.html
고질라

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Understood. But in my past experience purchasing used VHS are usually in no better conditions than the ones I already had. I recently had to replace my "Yog Monster from Space" VHS because my VCR ate my old copy :mad: .

http://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/ima ... amvest.htm

Thankfully it was less than ten dollars to replace it with the Trans-Atlantic release, but it is another problem avoided if I can get this on DVD. That is one of the last films I have yet to make a successful DVD transfer too. As you said "may try this summer. Just have to see".
Last edited by o.supreme on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

o.supreme wrote:Understood. But in my past experience purchasing used VHS are usually in no better conditions than the ones I already had. I recently had to replace my "Yog Monster from Space" VHS because my VCR ate my old copy :mad: . Thankfully it was less than ten dollars, but it is another problem avoided if I can get this on DVD. That is one of the last films I have yet to make a successful DVD transfer too. As you said "may try this summer. Just have to see".
Yeah the best thing for me is probably to just do what I said and buy a cheap region free player and buy some affordable region 3 DVDs but I've never done any of that so I don't know how it works. As a result I've been leery of trying it for fear of wasted money, time, and HOPE. lol
고질라

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

I would like to see Sony re-release their Godzilla catalog on DVD/Blu-Ray in a way similar to how they handled that "Icons of Sci-Fi" set. Both versions of each film and a film historian commentary track. It would be great to get the U.S. versions of Sea Monster, Son Of Godzilla, and Smog Monster on DVD.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Crazy Jim Films wrote:I would like to see Sony re-release their Godzilla catalog on DVD/Blu-Ray in a way similar to how they handled that "Icons of Sci-Fi" set. Both versions of each film and a film historian commentary track. It would be great to get the U.S. versions of Sea Monster, Son Of Godzilla, and Smog Monster on DVD.
Sony badly needs to update some of their Toho films anyway. It's 2012 and I still have to watch Godzilla vs King Ghidorah in full screen dubbed.
고질라

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

Yeah. Those 1990's Godzilla titles could also definitely use the attention. I can only hope they'll do something by the time, the new "Godzilla" film hits the big screen but even sooner, would get no complaints from me.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s