GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE DVD/Blu-ray from Echo Bridge

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Starsteam
Keizer

Re: GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE DVD/Blu-ray from Echo Bridge

Post by Starsteam »

70s_Goji wrote:
Nothing "weird" about it, really. Its a generational thing, as far as I'm concerned. See, I grew up with the Showa stuff, and always found the 90s stuff ('dark', 'brooding', ooooohhhhh...) rather lame, at the time. There are still a couple I need to see, post-70s.

In time, in time.
GvBio is alright, though I do find it a bit overrated in the fandom. I'm not into the dark/brooding stuff either, and yeah... I did find GvBio a bit boring at times and the final battle with Biollante was rather quick and anticlimatic.

70s_Goji
GPN Volunteer

Post by 70s_Goji »

Starsteam wrote:
70s_Goji wrote:
Nothing "weird" about it, really. Its a generational thing, as far as I'm concerned. See, I grew up with the Showa stuff, and always found the 90s stuff ('dark', 'brooding', ooooohhhhh...) rather lame, at the time. There are still a couple I need to see, post-70s.

In time, in time.
was rather quick and anticlimatic.
Are we still talking about G vs. Biollante, or are you describing my wedding night ?? :lol:

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

70s_Goji wrote:
Starsteam wrote:
70s_Goji wrote:

In time, in time.
was rather quick and anticlimatic.
Are we still talking about G vs. Biollante, or are you describing my wedding night ?? :lol:
Did your wedding night end with you falling over asleep, and your partner gets bored and descends into space?

70s_Goji
GPN Volunteer

Post by 70s_Goji »

:[/quote]

Did your wedding night end with you falling over asleep, and your partner gets bored and descends into space?[/quote]

My GOD, its like you were THERE! :shock:

....Truth told, it was ME that "descended", only not into space....
:lol:

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Starsteam wrote: GvBio is alright, though I do find it a bit overrated in the fandom. I'm not into the dark/brooding stuff either, and yeah... I did find GvBio a bit boring at times and the final battle with Biollante was rather quick and anticlimatic.
I actually thought the plot moved too fast for anything to sink in, but it was still a good plot either way. Although I agree that the final battle is way too short.

As for overrated, I think it's reputation fits it, as I haven't necessarily heard all-out praise. The only thing it really has going for it in terms of being a fan favorite is it's the one non-Showa movie Showa purists will give credit to.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

ScouseGojira
GPN Volunteer

Post by ScouseGojira »

I think G V Bio was the best Godzilla film other than Gojira and G'14, just like the plot and the atmosphere, it's also in my top 3 Goji designs. For an era that gets some derision, Heisei did give us this one and Destroyah, two of the best films in the entire series for me.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

BIOLLANTE has been available on VHS and LD in this country for 22 years, so I wouldn't really call it a "generational thing". I also grew up with the Showa films, despite my age (I just turned 30; older than your 'average' user here), but I saw all of the Godzilla movies that were in existence by 1996 because I saught them out.

The Heisei films are hardly as "brooding" as one would suggest. RETURN OF GODZILLA is the only one that has much of a 'doom and gloom' aspect. DESTOROYAH attempted it, and failed miserably. The rest are honestly really just as zany as any of the other films, minus the more anthropomorphic behavior from Godzilla and his adversaries.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Jhiaxus
Yojimbo

Post by Jhiaxus »

The burning question I have is; does this re-release have the corrected audio? And is it worth the double dip?

So I have two questions, sue me!

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Jhiaxus wrote:The burning question I have is; does this re-release have the corrected audio? And is it worth the double dip?

So I have two questions, sue me!
It has the corrected audio. Everything else is pretty much the same so if you wanna double dip, that's up to you.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Chaoticmadness
Monsterland Worker

Post by Chaoticmadness »

The only godzilla movies I couldn't get into were the Showa 70s. They made it less serious for a younger audience and were just goofy as hell to me. For instance the fact godzilla had the ability to fly but balling himself up and using his atomic breath to propell himself. Also when g and jet jagure teamed up against gigan and megalon and g did the flying drop kick. I was happy they made them serious again in godzilla vs biollante

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Goji wrote:BIOLLANTE has been available on VHS and LD in this country for 22 years, so I wouldn't really call it a "generational thing". I also grew up with the Showa films, despite my age (I just turned 30; older than your 'average' user here), but I saw all of the Godzilla movies that were in existence by 1996 because I saught them out.

The Heisei films are hardly as "brooding" as one would suggest. RETURN OF GODZILLA is the only one that has much of a 'doom and gloom' aspect. DESTOROYAH attempted it, and failed miserably. The rest are honestly really just as zany as any of the other films, minus the more anthropomorphic behavior from Godzilla and his adversaries.
Shhh, shut up! You'll ruin it for all the teenagers who NEED the '90s films to be better than they are so they can trash better, '60s films without feeling bad about it!

Chaoticmadness
Monsterland Worker

Post by Chaoticmadness »

I liked the 60s just the 70s were the ones that seemed goofy

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Chaoticmadness wrote:The only godzilla movies I couldn't get into were the Showa 70s. They made it less serious for a younger audience and were just goofy as hell to me. For instance the fact godzilla had the ability to fly but balling himself up and using his atomic breath to propell himself. Also when g and jet jagure teamed up against gigan and megalon and g did the flying drop kick. I was happy they made them serious again in godzilla vs biollante
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Chaoticmadness
Monsterland Worker

Post by Chaoticmadness »

The best godzilla movie will always be godzilla 98 the American one lol

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Not only is this grossly off topic, but you're clearly trolling.

Chaoticmadness
Monsterland Worker

Post by Chaoticmadness »

Lol sorry guys but anyway is there a toho collection blu ray with godzilla vs biollante and another godzilla movie like I have the one were it's godzilla vs mecha godzilla 2 and godzilla vs space godzilla

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Chaoticmadness wrote:Lol sorry guys but anyway is there a toho collection blu ray with godzilla vs biollante and another godzilla movie like I have the one were it's godzilla vs mecha godzilla 2 and godzilla vs space godzilla
No, there isn't. The Toho Godzilla Collection sets were released by Sony, while GvBiollante is currently being offered from Lions Gate.

Chaoticmadness
Monsterland Worker

Post by Chaoticmadness »

Why do they have two different company's like that?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Because the Godzilla films are licensed out to different companies outside of Japan. It's always been that way, but you're likely not old enough to realize that.