GvK DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD 4K preorder links

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
G1985
Gotengo Officer

GvK DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD 4K preorder links

Post by G1985 »

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Re: GvK DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD 4K preorder links

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

No 3d,no buy

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Lecontinentperdu wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:40 am No 3d,no buy
I hear you. Right now the only 3D version being offered is through Amazon India, and they won't export / ship to the US.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I like how they release a 3 film set just to screw with us -
https://www.scifijapan.com/godzilla-toh ... ertainment

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Are people still into 3D? I thought that fad had passed. I wasn't even aware GvK had a 3D theatrical release, I don't even remember the last time I saw a 3DBRD in stores. I mean I have a few bundles that have the 3D discs because they were the most economic way to get the film at the time but I've never watched any of those discs because I don't have a 3DTV, and I see a lot of people selling them individually on ebay dirt cheap because they will never use tem. Most new 4K TV's don't have 3D capability do they, or am I missing something?
Last edited by o.supreme on Fri May 28, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

No, 3D is not part of the 4K UHD spec. 4K TVs and discs are not capable of 3D content. Oddly, many 4K home theater projectors still are.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Lecontinentperdu wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:40 am No 3d,no buy
I'm fairly certain they don't manufacture 3D devices or discs anymore. It was a fad, a fairly short-lived one at that.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

ok, thank you canofhamdingers and Pkmatrix. That makes more sense.

I mean, I'm certainly not on the cutting edge of Technology (I don't have a UHD TV or 4K player yet...) But I was pretty sure 3D had gone the way of the Dodo. Still kind of sad, all those TV's and discs manufactured for a fad that only lasted a few years. I mean if you go to the thrift store, you can buy a VCR dirt cheap and still play VHS tapes. DVD is still around (somehow ) along with BRD and 4K, but in a very short time, unless you are a hard core media guru that needs to have something in every playable format, 3D BRD's are going to be kind of like laserdiscs, or 8 tracks - nearly impossible to play.
Last edited by o.supreme on Fri May 28, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

o.supreme wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:06 pm ok, thank you canofhamdingers and Pkmatrix. That makes more sense.

I mean, I'm certainly not on the cutting edge of Technology (I don't have a UHD TV or 4K player yet...) But I was pretty sure 3D had gone the way of the Dodo. Still kind of sad, all those TV's and discs manufactured for a fad that only lasted a few years. I mean if you go to the thrift store, you can buy a VCR dirt cheap and still play VHS tapes. DVD is still around (somehow ) along with BRD and 4K, but in a very short time, unless you are a hard core media guru that needs to have something in every playable format, 3D BRD's are going to be kind of like laserdiscs, or 8 tracks - nearly impossible to play.

You're actually a little further behind than you realized, because 4K isn't the cutting edge anymore or even the premium - that's the standard model TV. The cutting edge/premium stuff is 8K, regular ol' HD is considered the discount stuff now. :lol:

DVD/BD and the 4K BDs are probably not going to be around for much longer either, unfortunately. It's getting harder and harder to find places that even sell them outside Amazon. The Best Buys and Targets in my area (the main places I know that sell them) have reduced their sections to a single rack, and that rack is not even fully filled. It's clear they're trying to phase it out. Sadly, the studios are trying real hard to kill physical media releases and force everyone to sign up to their streaming services as the only way to access content... >_>

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Nope, movie buffs like me that are into 3d are not going to give up that easily. 3d sets are cheap. Movies like gvk are converted in 3d and thought like that, so should be seen like that. And the guys at 3d film archives pull out marvelous things. The real trouble is streaming and the non cinephilic crowd that watches movies (if they watch any) on small pc screens or, worse, mobile devices. 3d is no more of a niche than toku. And if you love movies, you have to realize that a lot of them don't reach home media other than on.... DVDs. In 2021. So no, 3d is on the verge of extinction, but that's the destiny of all home medias.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I understand the industry as a whole wants to kill off physical media, but I'll support it as long as I can. I mean here in 2021 they are still producing DVD, even if at lesser rate. That is amazing. I bought my first DVD in 1998!. And will occasionally still do so if something I want is not available in a better format. Whereas I can remember my parents getting their first VHS in 1987 (I know they were around earlier but that was our first purchase),and my last one was in 1999, so only about 12 years collecting them, and I've purged all of them except some Kaiju films that don't exist any other way, and a few collectors items.

I still get BRD/DVD combo packs when I can, but will resort to standalone BRD if I have to. I have yet to purchase anything 4K. If I skip it All together, I guess that's ok.

To those that like 3D, whatever floats your boat. I just want to support a format that can continue to play the movies I have for the longest time. 4K will support BRD and DVD, but not 3DBRD. Seems to be a reason for that

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

So they can do a basic b***h Blu Ray set with the last THREE movies......but they can't give me a simple two-case, 5 disc 4K set with all 4 films on 4K and a dedicated Blu Ray disc for all of the collected bonus materials?

I just want some kind of simple Monsterverse set. All 4 films on 4K disc...nice matching disc art and menus, two regular ole' cases with matching slipcovers/spine art. Nothing very high maintenance.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I'll probably upgrade to 4K soon-ish, so maybe the combo pack for me? I prefer the regular Blu-ray cover, though!