Toho and Godzilla Music Streaming on Alexa/Amazon Music

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Toho and Godzilla Music Streaming on Alexa/Amazon Music

Post by Arbok »

Have Alexa? Have Amazon Prime or Amazon Music? There is an okay and surprising selection of Godzilla and Toho Music on the service for streaming. This thread will archive what I was able to find in January/February on it inside the US and how to tell Alexa to play it, the latter is sometimes a trick in itself. For example, saying "Play the Rodan soundtrack" will not work, but "play the Rodan movie soundtrack" will. If anyone has discovered additional music that's relevant, please mention it in replies.

I was going to make a blog about this on the main site, but it feels like such a moment in time thing that I didn't see the point. For example, between doing this in January versus trying again in February, one of the soundtracks was removed (they used to have Ninja Scroll). So it feels like this might be better as a forum topic.

Commands are done with the fewest words to get the soundtrack to play. Any commands that are bold means it's available without Amazon Music, which is an additional fee. Also note that some commands work differently based on your service. Like "play Godzilla soundtrack" will play the 2014 Godzilla soundtrack if on Amazon Music, while it will play the 1998 GODZILLA album if just on Amazon Prime.
  • Rodan (1956)
    "play Rodan the movie soundtrack"
  • Varan (1958)
    "play Varan the Unbelievable soundtrack"
  • Akira (1988)
    "play Akira soundtrack"
  • GODZILLA (1998) {Album}
    "play Godzilla album"
  • Ponyo (2008)
    "play Ponyo by Joe Hisashi"
  • The Tale of the Princess of Kaguya (2013)
    "play The Tale of the Princess of Kaguya soundtrack"
  • The Wind Rises (2013)
    "play The Wind Rises soundtrack"
  • Godzilla (2014)
    "play Godzilla soundtrack"
  • When Marnie Was There (2014)
    "play When Marnie Was There soundtrack"
----

In addition to above, there is also the "Classic Themes from Godzilla" compilation. This is accessed by asking Alexa to play it, which has various themes from the Showa Godzilla films. Individual themes can be accessed from this compilation too, such as "play Godzilla vs. Megalon soundtrack" or "play Godzilla Raids Again soundtrack".

Remixes are also available by Alala and Monster Mania of Godzilla related themes. Each brought up by saying "play music by Alala" and "play music from Monster Mania".
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Toho and Godzilla Music Streaming on Alexa/Amazon Music

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Respect for the list but I'm much too paranoid to put an Alexa in my home.
Somebody play Battle in Outer Space soundtrack for me!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

This is a good idea for a thread. Perhaps we could expand this from just Amazon/Alexa to all music streaming platforms?

It inspired me to check Spotify again and I found they’ve added quite a bit of new material since the last time I searched. What I’ve found so far (sorry it’s not in a more logical order). I’ve listed the album titles exactly as Spotify labels them so hopefully anyone can find them.

Destroy All Monsters (Original Soundtrack Recording)

King Kong vs Godzilla (Original Sountrack Theme)

Varan the Unbelievable (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Rodan (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Battle in Outer Space (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Godzilla (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Kong: Skull Island (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

King Kong (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Steiner: King Kong

Pacific Rim (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Shin Godzilla (Original Soundtrack Album)

Monster Mania [Music From the Classic Godzilla Films (1954-1995)]

Classic Themes from Godzilla - Volume One

The Rebirth of Mothra Trilogy (Original Motion Picture Scores)

Godzilla Sound Effects

Godzilla Original Soundtrack

Godzilla Raids Again Original Soundtrack

King Kong vs. Godzilla Original Soundtrack (mono)

King Kong vs. Godzilla Original Soundtrack (stereo)

Mothra vs. Godzilla Original Soundtrack

And that’s it so far. If anyone knows of others please share!

Also, of note, the last five albums (the sound effects and first four Godzilla films) appear to be the full Japanese soundtrack releases. Album art such as this:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

YouTube has quite a few of these as well.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Looks like Spotify has added Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster Original Sountrack and Invasion of Astro-Monster Original Soundtrack to their roster. Again, those are the exact spellings for anyone searching.

It appears Sea Monster is coming soon.

Also, I had The Mysterians soundtrack on Spotify but, while it’s still in my albums, it’s no longer playable. Guess the license ran out?

Jet Faguar
Ronin

Post by Jet Faguar »

The soundtracks are being released weekly (every Friday) on to streaming/online stores by Toho Music and are the Perfect Box versions but without the bonus tracks included. Son of Godzilla's soundtrack is being released on the 19th, Destroy All Monsters the week after, etc. etc.

I have Spotify and Apple Music playlists that are compiling them in order but for some reason it's not letting me post the links.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

That’s awesome, thanks for the info. I’ve found all of them so far I think, but it can be a bit challenging because even on the US Spotify most of the info is in Japanese which makes searching more difficult.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

EBIRAH, HORROR OF THE DEEP Original Soundtrack (spelled exactly like that, caps and all) is on Spotify.

Jet Faguar
Ronin

Post by Jet Faguar »

Need subs? Click here.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Don’t have time to type out all the titles but the Toho soundtracks up to Godzilla vs Gigan are now available. I guess Megalon should be up in a week.

gomezm6
Ronin

Post by gomezm6 »

I am wondering if they are releasing all the film soundtracks up to Godzilla Final Wars? I ask, since as others have mentioned, the soundtracks are the 50th anniversary versions, and they have released the 50th anniversary version even if another version has already been released (i.e. Gojira, King Kong vs. Godzilla, or Destroy All Monsters).
I will admit I have been extremely excited with the releases as it allows buying tracks or entire soundtracks of those which have become prohibitively difficult to find or at very high prices.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Yeah I’ve wondered that too; if we’ll see the full set released or if it will just be through Showa or Heisei or something. I’d assume it will be the full 50th anniversary soundtrack lineup but I haven’t seen any kind of press release or other official confirmation to base that on.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Just an update. They’ve got all showa film soundtracks up to and including Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla. We should see the Showa series completed on Friday with the addition of Terror of MechaGodzilla. I am very much looking forward to the next Friday (5/14) where I hope to see Godzilla (1984) soundtrack uploaded! Fingers crossed!

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

Since these are the so called 'Perfect Box' albums being released digitally, I have a question for those more knowledgeable on these releases. I have read the Futureland individual releases for each movie (and the other companies who released some of the later OSTs) use superior masters to the 'Perfect Box' albums. Is this true? I am aware that there are exclusive tracks in some cases, but when a track has an equivalent on one or the other is it generally agreed upon that the individual releases are better? The main site reviews are a bit mixed on this as well.

John Schuermann
Samurai

Post by John Schuermann »

The Perfect Box versions have artificial reverb slathered all over the Showa Era soundtracks in an attempt to hide their mono roots. They don't sound bad per se, but there is a lack of musical detail compared to the original "dry" Futureland versions. For all we know the transfers for the Perfect Box versions are superior but any improvement in sound quality is lost due to the obscuring effects of the reverb.
Last edited by John Schuermann on Mon May 03, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

Thank you for the information. I'd like to eventually own copies of each, but I'm a bit of a wannabe audiophile so I'm happy that you took the time to clarify the differences for me.

SaiyanRider54
Interpol Agent

Post by SaiyanRider54 »

Does anyone know if we’ll be getting any soundtracks past Terror of MechaGodzilla? It doesn’t seem like G’84 has been put up anywhere yet

gomezm6
Ronin

Post by gomezm6 »

I am wondering the same thing. I have had a thought since I heard about the recent release "Godzilla: The Showa Era Soundtracks, 1954-1975" by Waxwork Records that this may be the reason for the Showa releases, but since the Heisei was not included, they may not be released. I hope I am wrong, but it may be a possibility why Return of Godzilla has not been available yet.

SaiyanRider54
Interpol Agent

Post by SaiyanRider54 »

That might make sense but wouldn’t they use the new original artwork for those records instead of the 50th anniversary set designs? Perhaps they’re taking a break between eras. I wish there was an official announcement of some kind that detailed whatever licensing deal was made

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

My guess is they’ll all be uploaded soon. Just as the English YouTube channel is uploading a trailer for each film sequentially - and guess which movie was uploaded yesterday?
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132