Worst Alternate Cuts

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Worst Alternate Cuts

Post by Terasawa »

Great Hierophant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:29 am His KOTM was only trimmed a bit between the commercial breaks, but the original KOTM was only 80 minutes long.
Similarly, the line "We'll be in trouble if King Seeser brings other monsters to life" was lost to a commercial fade out on Sci-Fi Channel's broadcast master for Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster, despite the movie running approximately 84 minutes. Sometimes stations just needed a clean break for commercials, resulting in those trivial trims in movies that didn't need to be edited for time.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Bisaju
Ronin

Post by Bisaju »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 am
Bisaju wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:10 pm Any of those drastically edited for tv timeslot versions to be the worst. I remember the super scary saturday(loved that show)version of "godzilla vs monster zero" cut out the entire portion after akira kubo falls in the trap door where the astronauts go to planet x then see godzilla and rodan fight and they discover other kumi mizunos then they go back. So pretty much a full 10-12 mins. Not only that there are references to that missing portion that left 6-7 year old me like "huh" back in 1988. Then i saw the monster vision airing back in 1995 and i was shocked to see the scenes in that. Took me a while to realize i was seeing something i haven't lol. Since then i saw the movie with those scenes. Again the super scary Saturday airing went like akira kubo being caprured by the aliens then the earth men back at earth with the "formula" for the miracle drug.
In the late '70s, KSTW (Seattle) edited its print of Monster Zero to remove everything between the opening credits and the P-1's first return from Planet X. The first scene after the credits is the conference held in the Diet Building, which takes place about 25 minutes into the unedited film.

The U.S. version of MZ runs about 93 minutes, just a touch too long for most stations programming it in a 2-hour slot. Because of that, I think it was very rarely broadcast uncut. I'd bet the Super Scary Saturday version was so heavily edited to make room for the Al Lewis segments.
I have that 70s broadcast of MZ.

Added in 3 minutes 47 seconds:
Bisaju wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:59 pm
Terasawa wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 am
Bisaju wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:10 pm Any of those drastically edited for tv timeslot versions to be the worst. I remember the super scary saturday(loved that show)version of "godzilla vs monster zero" cut out the entire portion after akira kubo falls in the trap door where the astronauts go to planet x then see godzilla and rodan fight and they discover other kumi mizunos then they go back. So pretty much a full 10-12 mins. Not only that there are references to that missing portion that left 6-7 year old me like "huh" back in 1988. Then i saw the monster vision airing back in 1995 and i was shocked to see the scenes in that. Took me a while to realize i was seeing something i haven't lol. Since then i saw the movie with those scenes. Again the super scary Saturday airing went like akira kubo being caprured by the aliens then the earth men back at earth with the "formula" for the miracle drug.
In the late '70s, KSTW (Seattle) edited its print of Monster Zero to remove everything between the opening credits and the P-1's first return from Planet X. The first scene after the credits is the conference held in the Diet Building, which takes place about 25 minutes into the unedited film.

The U.S. version of MZ runs about 93 minutes, just a touch too long for most stations programming it in a 2-hour slot. Because of that, I think it was very rarely broadcast uncut. I'd bet the Super Scary Saturday version was so heavily edited to make room for the Al Lewis segments.
I have that 70s broadcast of MZ.
Crazy thing about the super scary saturday version of this and gargantuas is the host segments weren't movie specific. I think the 1987 first season episodes tended to base the segments around the movie.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

With my expertise being strictly confined to the Godzilla series...I think I have to say Godzilla Raids Again.

Like a previous poster said - You change Godzilla's name, change his roar most of the time, and try to sort of "Un-Godzilla" a Godzilla movie into something else. Like, all of the other alternate cuts are still Godzilla movies and not hiding that fact. Gigantis the Fire Monster seems to suffer the deepest wounds an Alternate Version could suffer.

Most of the US versions I am generally indifferent to, some of them I enjoy as an alternate option, and some have some things I like or even prefer, but a lot of them have at least one REALLY annoying 'poison pill' that basically ruins them for me. None of them are quite so thoroughly "Net negative" as Gigantis, though.

The only minor saving grace is that they at least put a "Godzilla Raids Again" title card on the thing even if they didn't "fix" anything else about it. So at least people who watch that version get SOMETHING telling them it is in fact a Godzilla film.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."