Best Sources Available Today for English Language Godzilla Films

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Best Sources Available Today for English Language Godzilla Films

Post by Great Hierophant »

My purpose in this post is to identify the best available versions, official or unofficial, of the Godzilla films currently available in their English-language versions. Ideally this would be their original theatrical versions, but if those are not available in a high quality source, I'll recommend the next best thing with English dubbing and hopefully English text. Second choice follows first choice with a comma, a tie uses "or".

For me, a high quality source is from a Blu-ray, a 1080p source, but if neither are available I will point to a good quality DVD release (but anamorphic is a must for widescreen films). I have no qualms about recommending unofficial fan-based reconstructions over lackluster official releases.

Godzilla King of the Monsters - Showa Set Blu-ray or Criterion Blu-ray
No real contest here, either the standalone release or Showa Set release is the best way to see the original Raymond Burr version. Criterion is at its best when it is unshackled.

Gigantis the Fire Monster - SpaceHunter M's DVD Theatrical Reconstruction, Classic Media DVD
If you want to see the film as it would originally have been presented in theaters in 1959, try to track down SpaceHunter M's version. That version mattes the film to 1.85:1 and restore the "Gigantis the Fire Monster" opening title. Otherwise the Classic Media version will have to do.

King Kong vs. Godzilla - Universal Blu-ray or Showa Set Blu-ray
Only HD options out there, if you have one you need not track down the other, although I have seen some comparison screenshots suggesting the Showa Set is a little dark.

Godzilla vs. the Thing - Red Menace Reconstruction or G-MAN Restoration
Both versions have their merits, so you should be satisfied with either. The official releases are extremely dated.

Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster - Red Menace Reconstruction, Classic Media DVD
A great job by Red Menance to fix this film, Classic Media's reconstruction has sync issues.

Monster Zero - Red Menace Reconstruction, Classic Media DVD
Another fine job by Red Menace, Classic Media is a distant second best

Godzilla vs the Sea Monster - goji1986 HD Reconstruction, Kraken Blu-ray
goji1986 uses the superior Titra Sound dub which accompanied the TV version. Kraken has the Frontier Enterprises dub.

Son of Godzilla (US TV Version) - Red Menace Reconstruction, Sony DVD
Red Menace uses the superior Titra Sound dub which accompanied the TV version. Sony has the Frontier Enterprises dub.

Destroy All Monsters - Red Menace Reconstruction v2.0, Showa Set Blu-ray
Red Menace's version is the only release that provides the AIP theatrical version for a long time, and contains the superior Titan Sound dub without damage. The Showa is another Frontier Enterprises dub.

Godzilla's Revenge - The G-MAN Restoration, Classic Media DVD
G-MAN's restoration is the first time Godzilla's Revenge has been available in HD. Classic Media runs a distant second.

Godzilla vs the Smog Monster - SpaceHunter M's DVD Reconstruction, Kraken Blu-ray
Even though a few shots remain cropped, SpaceHunter M's version is the best way to experience the film as AIP released it with the "Save the Earth" song. A true HD version can be found on the Kraken Blu-ray, but the dub is from Hong Kong.

Godzilla vs. Gigan - Kraken Blu-ray, Sony DVD
There is no high quality version of the Cinema Shares theatrical version available, but the dub is the same on the Kraken Blu-ray and Sony DVD and they have English titles.

Godzilla vs. Megalon - G-MAN's International Version Reconstruction, Showa Set Blu-ray DVD
No Blu-rays use English titles, so G-MAN's International Version is the most English-friendly release and equivalent quality to Blu-ray. There is no high quality version of the Cinema Shares theatrical version available.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - MustafaD's Theatrical Version Reconstruction, Sony DVD
MustafaD's Theatrical Version Reconstruction is the only high quality version of a Cinema Shares release, but if you can't get that, the Showa Set has English dialogue and is in HD and the closest you can get.

Terror of Mechagodzilla - G-Man UPA-TV Widescreen Reconstruction, Classic Media DVD
UPA G-Man Reconstruction is the most English friendly release of this film and uses HD sources, the Classic Media DVD also inserts the TV prologue.

Godzilla 1985 - Red Menace Reconstruction v1.5
The Return of Godzilla - EOST HD Reconstruction

Red Menace's Reconstruction remain the standard for the Raymond Burr version and its dub. The alternate dub is best served by the EOST HD Reconstruction, which has English text unlike the Kraken Blu-ray.

Godzilla vs. Biollante - Echo Bridge, Mill Creek or Miramax Blu-ray
Right now, these are your only choices for the English dub, but they have the Japanese text.

Later Films - Only One Choice
You're beholden to Sony, Funimation or Universal for Blu-rays of Godzilla films after Biollante.

Fortunately this list will not stand still. New HD Restorations have been announced or are being worked on currently. The ones I know of are Seranov's EOST for Biollante, a 4K 35mm scan for Red Menace's Godzilla 1985, G-MAN's Terror of Mechagodzilla HD TV Reconstruction, goji1986's Smog Monster HD Reconstruction.
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Best Sources Available Today for English Language Godzilla Films

Post by Space Hunter M »

My Gigantis reconstruction is in desperate need of a revision and I feel bad for ghosting people who still want it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Great Hierophant wrote:Godzilla vs the Sea Monster - Kraken Blu-ray
Kraken has the Frontier Enterprises dub.

Son of Godzilla - Sony DVD
Sony has the Frontier Enterprises dub.
It's worth mentioning that, unfortunately, the export versions here have new credits done in the style of the originals.
Godzilla vs the Smog Monster - Kraken Blu-ray
A true HD version can be found on the Kraken Blu-ray, but the dub is from Hong Kong.
The best home video release of the export version with accurate (read: untouched) audio is the 1998 Carlton Video release (PAL).
Godzilla vs. Gigan - Kraken Blu-ray, Sony DVD
...the dub is the same on the Kraken Blu-ray and Sony DVD and they have English titles.
The home video version that closest represents the original international version is the 4:3 Power Multimedia DVD released in Taiwan. Actually, if one can get past the 4:3 video (all credits are squeezed), I'd recommend these discs. The export versions are presented pretty much untouched. Gigan and TOMG are from 35mm sources but the other three '70s films are from good (Hedorah) and bad (Megalon, Mechagodzilla) 16mm.

The Sony and Kraken releases have altered audio and all English text is obviously brand new (and very poorly done).
Godzilla vs. Megalon - Showa Set Blu-ray DVD
Avoid Criterion's English dubbed track at all costs. It sounds awful. The Media Blasters version has higher fidelity audio.
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - Sony DVD
the Sony DVD has English titles and is very pleasing to watch.
Some of the audio has been adjusted ala Sony's other Showa releases.
Terror of Mechagodzilla - MustafaD's Widescreen TV Version Reconstruction, Classic Media DVD
MustafaD's Widescreen TV Version Reconstruction is the most English friendly release of this film, although the Classic Media DVD also inserts the TV prologue, MustafaD's uses higher quality sources.
The UPA TV version has horrible audio, and the Classic Media presentation is no exception. If one's looking for the best-sounding version it's probably the Criterion set, although the Power Multimedia disc is really good too (despite the 4:3 cropping).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

All of the Classic Media presentations should be disqualified as even distant second choices. All of them have issues that the fanmade reconstructions don't have, and all of them were missed opportunities. They are filled with inaccuracies, and they look and sound awful.

There is no alternative to continued 16mm and 35mm fan scans.
Last edited by Tamura on Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

I did not know that the later Showa G-films had such audio problems.

The Classic Media DVDs are pretty much useful now for their commentaries and special features, they've almost been thoroughly eclipsed. However, not everyone has access to fan restorations or wants to take legal liberties, so they're pretty much the only releases with any kind of accessibility.

Pan & Scan, VHS and Laserdisc don't meet the cut of this list. I can't ask children to sit through that. I do appreciate being put onto the Power Multimedia DVDs, they seem to be the least compromised overall when it comes to audio fidelity for the "final five".

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Great Hierophant wrote:I did not know that the later Showa G-films had such audio problems.

The Classic Media DVDs are pretty much useful now for their commentaries and special features, they've almost been thoroughly eclipsed. However, not everyone has access to fan restorations or wants to take legal liberties, so they're pretty much the only releases with any kind of accessibility.

Pan & Scan, VHS and Laserdisc don't meet the cut of this list. I can't ask children to sit through that. I do appreciate being put onto the Power Multimedia DVDs, they seem to be the least compromised overall when it comes to audio fidelity for the "final five".
I mention pan & scan DVD and all analog media because -besides filmic elements, as mentioned by Tamura- those are sometimes still the best source for audio or visual elements for these films.

Some examples of audio missing from the revised TriStar/Kraken English mixes:

There are also "stutters" that are inherent to Gigan's and Mechagodzilla's dubs that were likewise "fixed" by TriStar.

It's hard to tell in what ways the English dubs on the Sea Monster and SOG releases differ from their original versions since those dubs had never been released here prior to 2004.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Terasawa wrote: The home video version that closest represents the original international version is the 4:3 Power Multimedia DVD released in Taiwan.
Technically, there's also the Mei Ah LaserDisc and VCD, but the former is PAL-to-NTSC and the latter is only 288p.

The highest quality audio source for the dub itself is still the excellent New World Video master on either the Image LaserDisc or Anchor Bay SP VHS.
Last edited by Space Hunter M on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Great Hierophant wrote:However, not everyone has access to fan restorations or wants to take legal liberties...
Two Toho films are only available through unofficial means. Is that an argument for not pursuing copies of Prophecies of Nostradamus or Half Human as a secondary option to the unofficial copies?
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Space Hunter M wrote:
Terasawa wrote: The home video version that closest represents the original international version is the 4:3 Power Multimedia DVD released in Taiwan.
Technically, there's also the Mei Ah LaserDisc and VCD, but the former is PAL-to-NTSC and the latter is only 288p.

The highest quality audio source for the dub itself is still the excellent New World Video master on either the Image LaserDisc or Anchor Bay SP VHS.
Thanks for the reminder about the Mei Ah releases. I declined to mention the New World master because I know at least their Mechagodzilla has some sync issues. I don’t know if Gigan does as well. They both sound excellent though.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Tamura wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:However, not everyone has access to fan restorations or wants to take legal liberties...
Two Toho films are only available through unofficial means. Is that an argument for not pursuing copies of Prophecies of Nostradamus or Half Human as a secondary option to the unofficial copies?
No, its just an observation that some people just don't want to get into trouble. Of course, for Prophecies of Nostradamus and Half Human, being law-abiding would require the person to track down a Laserdisc or VHS copy of Last Days on Planet Earth and a VHS copy of Half Human to be able to watch a semblance of either film legally. One of course may question the existence of copies of both in on a well-known archival site, even if in VHS-ish quality. ;)

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Tamura wrote:
Tamura, you seem to know a lot about things such as this, so I'd like to ask you a question.

I'm considering getting gray market DVDs of Half Human and Gorath from a company called scifistation.com. Both of them are Japanese subtitled version/American dubbed version combinations and are each $25.75 with free shipping.

My question is: have you ever had any dealings with this company; if you have, what is your opinion of them and do you think this is worth pursuing just to get these two films?

And I'd like the mods to know, just so we're clear here, that I'm not endorsing the website here; I'm just asking for an honest opinion before I commit to getting a couple of films off of it.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

It may take some time, but I'd like to see another thread like this for all other Toho classic sci-fi and Kaiju films. Havi the best possible English sources is amazing

Also I believe the family tyme VHS I have is the best video source for the English opening and closing credits with the Godzilla Monster Island title. I'd love to see these syncd up with Krakens Blu Ray for the rest of the film.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote:
Tamura wrote:
Tamura, you seem to know a lot about such things as this, so I'd like to ask a question.

I'm considering getting gray market DVDs of Half Human from a company called cultaction.com and Gorath from another company called scifistation.com. Both are Japanese subtitled version/American dubbed version combinations. The first one is $19.95 (I think; I tried to check on it, but the website is under construction right now and I don't know when it's coming back, if ever) and the second one is $25.75 with free shipping.

My question is: have you ever had any dealings with these two companies; if you have, what is your opinion of them; and do you think this is worth pursuing to get these two films?

And I'd like the mods to know, just so we're clear here, that I'm not endorsing the websites here; I'm just asking for an honest opinion before I commit to getting a couple of films off of them.
Are you out there, Tamura? Did you see this?

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Hope it's not rude to correct you but it was actually Echo Bridge that put out the initial disc of Biollante, and not Mill Creek.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Updated with new HD Reconstructions from G-MAN, keep up the good work peeps, we have only two Showa films left stuck with SD-quality recons. Poor Gigan has none, I guess its "a hard #$%^&".
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Great Hierophant wrote:Updated with new HD Reconstructions from G-MAN, keep up the good work peeps, we have only two Showa films left stuck with SD-quality recons. Poor Gigan has none, I guess its "a hard #$%^&".
Well for Gigan I would say the only main thing to do would just be the US theatrical titles. As there's no reason in my opinion to reconstruct the film edit wise. Outside of just recreating how it was shown in theaters. As I do personally prefer the uncut version with the dub on the Kraken disc.

Gigantis/Raids Again is definitely on my list. But definitely one that would require the most work in terms of getting the best sources available for the insert scenes/footage, and the titles. As I would personally like to just see the original theatrical opening used. Though I wouldn't crop it personally like the available SD reconstruction.
Last edited by G-MAN on Mon May 04, 2020 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

G-MAN wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:Updated with new HD Reconstructions from G-MAN, keep up the good work peeps, we have only two Showa films left stuck with SD-quality recons. Poor Gigan has none, I guess its "a hard #$%^&".
Well for Gigan I would say the only main thing to do would just be the US theatrical titles. As there's no reason in my opinion to reconstruct the film edit wise. Outside of just recreating how it was shown in theaters. As I do personally prefer the uncut version with the dub on the Kraken disc.

Gigantis/Raids Again is definitely on my list. But definitely one that would require the most work in terms of getting the best sources available for the insert scenes/footage, and the titles. As I would personally like to just see the original theatrical opening used. Though I wouldn't crop it personally like the available SD reconstruction.
I am interested in the "family friendly" theatrical reconstructions of Gigan and Mechagodzilla because I have no access to the violence and language edits. If you tackle them, I doubt it would take much effort to produce a cut and an uncut version. I imagine Cinema Shares' cuts were pretty simplistic.

GodzFire
Samurai

Post by GodzFire »

Where are all these reconstructions or whatever available to download?
G . o . D . z . F . i . R . e

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

GodzFire wrote:Where are all these reconstructions or whatever available to download?
We can’t post direct links here publicly, but if you PM the people who made them they’ll happily oblige.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Great Hierophant wrote:
G-MAN wrote:

I am interested in the "family friendly" theatrical reconstructions of Gigan and Mechagodzilla because I have no access to the violence and language edits. If you tackle them, I doubt it would take much effort to produce a cut and an uncut version. I imagine Cinema Shares' cuts were pretty simplistic.
No I doubt it would be much work to edit the films in that manner. The main thing needed for them if I was to ever do it would be a good quality source for the titles/credits. But I wouldn't say something like that kind of an edit is on my list of reconstructions at the moment. But might be fun for a future reconstruction much further down the road. Because they are fairly simplistic for sure though as far as the cuts go