Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Gamera Arrow possible release?

Post by Terasawa »

I haven’t seen the Rifftrax version but I think with their association with Legend Films it’s the same as the Amazon version.

In short: Neptune Media is more complete, “Amazon” looks much, much better (HD resolution). If UCLA’s elements are in good shape then that would be the ideal starting point for a new HD transfer.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Eh if arrow is doing a gamera set fair enough to them, though ill think ill skip it if thats the case, already have the mill creek set plus the bd of gamera the brave

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote:I’d love to see more titles from Daiei’s SFX catalog (Not just the Yokai films, but also the likes of Demon of Mt. Oe and especially Whale God
Yes to all of this.
I'd like to see them do these films these films that I got from Sinister Cinema:

*Rainbow Man (1949) (I'll be getting this one very soon)
*Enter the Invisible Man (1949)
*Warning from Space (1956) (both Japanese subtitled and American dubbed versions)
*The Invisible Man vs. the Human Fly (1957)
*The Whale God (1962).

In fact, why not go for broke and get these two films that SC didn't (and isn't going to) get:

*The Invisible Demon (1960) (or The Invisible Braggart, I still don't know which (can someone please help me out here with this one and tell me which one it really is?))
*The Invisible Swordsman (1970).

Heck, why not a boxed set containing all seven of these films? That'd be great!

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

realinvaderdesign wrote:Eh if arrow is doing a gamera set fair enough to them, though ill think ill skip it if thats the case, already have the mill creek set plus the bd of gamera the brave
I'd say an Arrow release would probably feature new transfers, but I'm not about to go counting my chickens prematurely again. Arrow is capable of some great stuff, though -- I only have their Blu-ray of The Andromeda Strain, but it looks absolutely gorgeous.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
realinvaderdesign wrote:Eh if arrow is doing a gamera set fair enough to them, though ill think ill skip it if thats the case, already have the mill creek set plus the bd of gamera the brave
I'd say an Arrow release would probably feature new transfers, but I'm not about to go counting my chickens prematurely again. Arrow is capable of some great stuff, though -- I only have their Blu-ray of The Andromeda Strain, but it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Asides john carpenters the thing, the only other arrow bd I have is the guyver, though really they should of done the sequel

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

I get that but anything would be better even if they used the same transfers as the main problem is the fact they crammed four films onto one disc and it lead to weird compression issues throughout the films. Hope arrow announces stuff. Also from what I've seen I wouldn't mind them using the new transfers if they couldn't do new ones.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

After watching Arrow's AAWiL remaster last night I'd be all for them doing Gamera. They did an amazing job with one of my all time favorite Werewolf movies so I'd love to see what'd they'd do with Gamera.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Arrow did the Dracula Trilogy, I assume they just touched up the Toho transfers from who-knows-when and done with who-knows-what technology.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Great Hierophant wrote:Arrow did the Dracula Trilogy, I assume they just touched up the Toho transfers from who-knows-when and done with who-knows-what technology.
I have The Bloodthirsty Trilogy and watched everything; it was magnificent! I even got a first printing copy with the booklet!

Hope that I can do the same thing with Ringu Collection and would love to do the same thing with the Showa (and maybe the Heisei, if they get to do it) Gamera series.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh I hope they do the Heisei trilogy just so the third film has much better subtitles than the last attempt. Ugh terrible!

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Great Hierophant wrote:Arrow did the Dracula Trilogy, I assume they just touched up the Toho transfers from who-knows-when and done with who-knows-what technology.
From the Blu-ray.com review, that appears to be the case, though at a glance they do look better than the Godzilla Hi-Visions.

EDIT: Looking at the review again, the color does seem a bit problematic in the same way many of the Godzilla transfers do, but there appears to be more grain preserved... unless that's just video noise. Arrow's liner notes aren't very enlightening about when and how these were made, which might help determine that:
The films in The Bloodthirsty Trilogy are presented in their original aspect ratio of 2.35:1 with mono audio. The Vampire Doll, Lake of Dracula and Evil of Dracula were remastered from the original film preservation film elements by Toho Co., Ltd. and delivered as High Definition masters to Arrow Films. Additional picture restoration work was completed at R3store Studios, London.
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

They do seem sharper than the HiVisions, or Toho just didn't blur out the video noise this time. It's hard to be definitive about whether these are part of the newer wave of superior transfers done on a higher end machine, which includes Daigoro vs. Goliath, Space Amoeba and Secret of the Telegian. Even in heavily compressed Amazon streams, significant gains are noticeable in terms of color, dynamic range and sharpness on all three of those. Too bad they are fairly minor entries in the Toho genre canon.

The color still isn't neutral... still has that Toho digital brown tint. It's only obvious in the DVD Beaver comparisons to the old, hardsubbed UK DVD, which looks more neutral, if not a bit too cool. Somewhere in between the brown HD transfer and the cool SD would have been ideal. But this is a horror film, and the icy cold colors might give it a certain atmosphere the golden brown look doesn't.
Last edited by Tamura on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Ah, the old Kraken/Criterion Sea Monster conundrum.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

A little disappointing to hear not a whole lot of people here own Arrow's Bloodthirsty Trilogy set (Or a lot of other great releases by Arrow for that matter). Anyways, I actually watched Arrow's release of all three for the first time this October (I've seen the movies before, but that was prior to Arrow's release), and can confirm they look pretty damn good. Not perfect (I did notice a bit of smearing during the chase scene in the woods in Evil), but a hell of a lot better than any Pure Hi-Vision crap. It is curious how Toho, who are terrified of reverse-importing, let Arrow release the films considering they don't even have BD releases in Japan, but I guess it's just due to them being a lot more niche than Godzilla. Likewise Toei, who are equally anal about reverse-importing, allowing Arrow to release titles like Horrors of Malformed Men and Wolf Guy (Which I don't even think has a DVD release in Japan). I guess they just don't care about these obscure titles when compared to cashcows like Godzilla, Dragonball, Sentai or whatever. And hey, fine by me. That means good releases.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

As mentioned previously in the thread, it's worth noting that Kadokawa not only did 4K transfers of the four Heisei films, but even released them on home video already in 2016. I would assume these are the best versions of the films to date, so if Arrow seriously considers doing a set, maybe - hopefully - they could get access to those transfers. Tsuburaya is certainly being generous to Mill Creek so far with their Ultra releases, so if any rivalry exists between Toho and Kadokawa, this could also be a great opportunity to one-up Toho in foreign marketing.

Another thought: 2020 will mark the 25th anniversary of Gamera: Guardian of the Universe, so the time might be ripe for a new, special home video release, with some additional marketing and promotion.
Last edited by Rody on Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

MaxRebo320 wrote:A little disappointing to hear not a whole lot of people here own Arrow's Bloodthirsty Trilogy set (Or a lot of other great releases by Arrow for that matter). Anyways, I actually watched Arrow's release of all three for the first time this October (I've seen the movies before, but that was prior to Arrow's release), and can confirm they look pretty damn good. Not perfect (I did notice a bit of smearing during the chase scene in the woods in Evil), but a hell of a lot better than any Pure Hi-Vision crap. It is curious how Toho, who are terrified of reverse-importing, let Arrow release the films considering they don't even have BD releases in Japan, but I guess it's just due to them being a lot more niche than Godzilla. Likewise Toei, who are equally anal about reverse-importing, allowing Arrow to release titles like Horrors of Malformed Men and Wolf Guy (Which I don't even think has a DVD release in Japan). I guess they just don't care about these obscure titles when compared to cashcows like Godzilla, Dragonball, Sentai or whatever. And hey, fine by me. That means good releases.
In Toei's case, I wonder if that's why Shout! Factory's DVD release of Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot: The Complete Series didn't have the Japanese version with English subtitles, like their two Ultra Series DVD releases did.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

mikelcho wrote:In Toei's case, I wonder if that's why Shout! Factory's DVD release of Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot: The Complete Series didn't have the Japanese version with English subtitles, like their two Ultra Series DVD releases did.
I'm pretty sure Johnny Sokko was licensed entirely through MGM/Orion, hence the original dubbed prints.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

You know how Toho did international versions for their Kaiju films? Did Daiei do that with thier Kaiju films too? In other words are there "international dubs/versions" of the various Gamera films?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:You know how Toho did international versions for their Kaiju films? Did Daiei do that with thier Kaiju films too? In other words are there "international dubs/versions" of the various Gamera films?
Barugon, Gyaos and Guiron all got international dubs in Hong Kong (Or by "Pedro Productions" in Guiron's case), which were the dubs Sandy Frank used for those 80s VHS releases and later MST3K.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Super Monster is also an international version done in Hong Kong.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.