King Kong vs Godzilla FYE Exclusive Steelbook

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

King Kong vs Godzilla FYE Exclusive Steelbook

Post by Noble Saber »

Release Date: Sep 10, 2019

https://www.fye.com/king-kong-vs-godzil ... 980a1c0e0b

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah booooooooi!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: King Kong vs Godzilla FYE Exclusive Steelbook

Post by Chrispy_G »

Aaaaand I've ordered it. Like with the Mothra Blu Ray Steelbook, I can't resist ordering these Steelbooks for the cool packaging and artwork alone....even though I know the Blu Ray is going to go into one of my mega-cases with all of the other discs. I keep all of the non-Legendary films in mega-cases(Blank Blu Ray cases that are about twice as thick and hold 7-10 discs)

I never expect to have all of the films get Steelbook releases...but any of them that DO get that honor, I like to pick up to display on my shelf.

Also....any hope that this is a Universal move to make one last cash-in on their EXISTING King Kong vs Godzilla Blu Ray Disc because they know they have licensed(or plan to license) King Kong vs Godzilla to Criterion for their Box Set?

Also also...I was always hoping this might be a potential side benefit of the Legendary films...the potential of getting catalog Godzilla films back on the shelves and in circulation in any kind of new incarnation, Steelbooks, new editions, etc etc
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

At that price, how can I say no? Pre-ordered!

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Hoping this has the JP cut.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Fingers crossed at the very least it's a better release than the current bluray

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Since it’s an F.Y.E. exclusive I’m sure the disc will be identical to the 2014 release. I can’t imagine why F.Y.E. would exclusively get the Japanese version.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:Since it’s an F.Y.E. exclusive I’m sure the disc will be identical to the 2014 release. I can’t imagine why F.Y.E. would exclusively get the Japanese version.
My assumption as well. This will probably just be the same release, but in more annoying packaging.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote:This will probably just be the same release, but in more annoying packaging.
Whoa! Eabaker with no regard for collectors of eccentric Blu-ray housing!
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I used to not be on board the whole Steelbook thing because I didn't like the idea of all of the movies on my shelf NOT being in uniform packaging. I just wanted them all as regular disc cases that matched.

A few things changed my perspective.

I started to shrink my collection and wipe out a bunch of movies I didn't love as much and would never have time to watch....and I began to appreciate how damn cool the artwork and packaging of Steelbooks are, and how much better they look and stand up when you put them on a shelf, especially when lined up with other Steelbooks.

Kong, G14, and forthcoming G:KOTM are all Steelbook for me. I put my Kong 4K disc that I had for years inside of the Blu Ray Steelbook I found for cheap.

All of the other Godzilla films plus Rodan and now Mothra, everything non-Legendary, I spread across 4 cases. Showa films split across 2 cases, 1 case for Heisei, and 1 case for G98, Millennium, and Shin.

I have G98 as a 4K Steelbook, as well as Mothra, and soon King Kong vs Godzilla. Even though I put the discs in the larger "collection cases", I still like to have the Steelbooks on display....because they are just so damn fancy and classy.

I fully expect Criterion to have a gorgeous Criterion Box Set for the Showa films, so that would then replace my two Showa Big Cases.

If we started getting Heisei and Millennium films as Steelbook releases, I would buy them in a heartbeat. Same thing if Funi ever put out a Shin Steelbook.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I'm only interested if it comes with some special features.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Stump Feet wrote:I'm only interested if it comes with some special features.
it wont since it seems to be just a reissue of the universal bluray

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Please god let there be a KKVG release of the Japanese cut thay doesn't look like ass
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Please god let there be a KKVG release of the Japanese cut thay doesn't look like ass
Such a thing exists but we won't be seeing it from Universal.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Terasawa wrote: Such a thing exists but we won't be seeing it from Universal.
If you're referring to the 4K restoration, it has some bad DNR from what I've seen. Of course I haven't seen the actual broadcast on a 4k display so who knows.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Not interested if it doesn't have the Japanese version, which it won't...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Terasawa wrote: Such a thing exists but we won't be seeing it from Universal.
If you're referring to the 4K restoration, it has some bad DNR from what I've seen. Of course I haven't seen the actual broadcast on a 4k display so who knows.
I dunno, it looks like pretty natural amount of authentic grain to me, and I don't see any significant noise reduction. It's not a noisy image at all but it's definitely there, even in the circulating non-4K copy. (Images may be slightly compressed on Imgur's end.)

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

It'd probably be best to save judgments about potential noise reduction in a 4K restoration until we've seen anything but a highly compressed HDTV broadcast. It's like a JPEG compared to a 16-bit TIFF.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Well, it looks like the old "This is Universal squeezing pennies out of their release before the Criterion Set" line of thinking was true.

But still, the artwork has dropped, and it looks cool. I'm still buying it. It will look cool next to my Mothra 61 and G98 Steelbooks...which are right next to my Kong, G14, and forthcoming GKOTM steelbooks.

I would love to get Steelbooks of the Heisei Era with the Ohrai poster art as the covers. That would be pretty epic.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Hold up...the cover art includes the Japanese Kanji AS WELL AS the English title. They’ve never acknowledged that in previous releases. Could Universal be including the Japanese version after all?
Last edited by goji1986 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I see no reason to bother with Universal's version now that we are going to get the real version through Criterion.