Battle in Outer Space Blu Ray!

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Battle in Outer Space Blu Ray!

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

Battle in Outer Space is apparently getting a very limited blu ray release
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... BoImK6VRf4

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Re: Battle in Outer Space Blu Ray!

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ Well, that's rather sketchy... :eh:

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Well, this is interesting.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

GodzillaFan1996 wrote:Battle in Outer Space is apparently getting a very limited blu ray release
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... BoImK6VRf4
MandaSaurus wrote:^ Well, that's rather sketchy... :eh:
Some more details, as has been briefly discussed in the Distributors thread: This is being released on the “Sony Choice Collection”, which is taking a page out of the “Warner Archives” service by offering catalog titles directly to consumers via discs made on demand instead of producing mass quantities to flood brick and mortar stores. The upside is that extremely niche titles can finally see an official release, often times in a format beyond VHS. Also, the quality tends to be pretty stellar, especially with Sony. In the case of BiOS, their DVD master came from (at least) an HD restoration, so there should be a noticeable improvement in picture quality assuming they use the same master (and why wouldn’t they?)

On the downside, Sony’s past releases in this series have been on BD-R’s — that’s right, BURNED discs — but more recent releases have apparently been pressed discs so it’s unknown which format BiOS will be on. One glimmer of hope is the feature of the Blu-ray logo on the cover art — apparently in order for companies to use that logo the discs must be pressed.

Unknown at this time is whether or not both Japanese and American versions of the film will be included. Past CC releases have had special features, so one can hope this won’t be just a barebones release of the American cut.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

If the film has actual subtitles instead of those confusing as hell, mistimed-like, dubtitles, I'll pick it up, but I need to know more first.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/b ... ic-p-25506

Take this with a grain of salt, but this online shop put the following in their listing:
-Presented in its original Japanese language version – important for fans

Also, consider the recent German release -- which sported Sony's restoration -- as a measuring stick for what we could hope to have (save for the booklets):
Battle in Outer Space, under the German release title Krieg im Weltenraum, will see release on August 18th as part of Anolis’ ongoing Gallery of Horrors series. Utilizing HD restorations first released to DVD by Sony some years ago, Anolis will present Battle not only in its original Japanese (with Japanese and German DTS-HD monophonic audio) and German (German DTS-HD mono only) theatrical release versions, but also in its English-dubbed American release cut (with both English and German DTS-HD monophonic audio). Optional German subtitles are included for all versions.

Supplements are surprisingly stacked, and include a new audio commentary from Dr. Rolf Giesen and Jörg M. Jedner as well as the excellent previously-released commentary by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski, as well as the German theatrical trailer, film program, and Super 8mm film version, and American and German press books. An image gallery and illustrated 20-page booklet round out the mix.
Source: http://exploderbutton.com/exploder/krie ... om-anolis/
Last edited by goji1986 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:If the film has actual subtitles instead of those confusing as hell, mistimed-like, dubtitles, I'll pick it up, but I need to know more first.
Well, to be fair, the weren’t mistimed, the lines that appeared that way corresponded to dialogue in the dubbed version that wasn’t in the Japanese version. But I agree that it’s very distracting.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

With Sony doing this I wonder if that UK label Indicator/Powerhouse be planning a release over? If they do, I hope they put it out in one of their nice boxsets with Mothra and The H-man.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Terasawa wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:If the film has actual subtitles instead of those confusing as hell, mistimed-like, dubtitles, I'll pick it up, but I need to know more first.
Well, to be fair, the weren’t mistimed, the lines that appeared that way corresponded to dialogue in the dubbed version that wasn’t in the Japanese version. But I agree that it’s very distracting.
I know, that's why I put it as "mistimed-like" because when I see subtitles coming up before or after dialog has been spoken, it seems like it is mistimed. It also doesn't help that that was the first and only time I had ever watched BiOS, so I had no idea they were dubtitles, let alone that there was dialog in the dub no present in the Japanese version. As such, I thought that either the subs were mistimed or that there was audio missing in the Japanese track. It really ruined my experience with the movie, which is probably also why I gave it such a poor review.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

goji1986 wrote:https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/b ... ic-p-25506

Take this with a grain of salt, but this online shop put the following in their listing:
-Presented in its original Japanese language version – important for fans

Also, consider the recent German release -- which sported Sony's restoration -- as a measuring stick for what we could hope to have (save for the booklets):
Battle in Outer Space, under the German release title Krieg im Weltenraum, will see release on August 18th as part of Anolis’ ongoing Gallery of Horrors series. Utilizing HD restorations first released to DVD by Sony some years ago, Anolis will present Battle not only in its original Japanese (with Japanese and German DTS-HD monophonic audio) and German (German DTS-HD mono only) theatrical release versions, but also in its English-dubbed American release cut (with both English and German DTS-HD monophonic audio). Optional German subtitles are included for all versions.

Supplements are surprisingly stacked, and include a new audio commentary from Dr. Rolf Giesen and Jörg M. Jedner as well as the excellent previously-released commentary by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski, as well as the German theatrical trailer, film program, and Super 8mm film version, and American and German press books. An image gallery and illustrated 20-page booklet round out the mix.
Source: http://exploderbutton.com/exploder/krie ... om-anolis/
Extremely doubtful we'll get anything beyond a trailer and the commentary from the DVD.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Probably. Past Choice Collection releases have basically ported over DVD-era special features.

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

I would totally buy the German release if it weren't for the fact that it is region locked, why can't it be like most European releases these days where it is region free, I get a ton of Blu rays from the UK and Germany that are region free.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Preorder is up on Amazon! Currently $25. Still no details on special features or language options.

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Outer-Spa ... uter+space

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

It comes out in 10 days and we still don't know jackshit about this release. WTF?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:It comes out in 10 days and we still don't know jackshit about this release. WTF?
It's a catalog BD-R release, what do you expect?
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:It comes out in 10 days and we still don't know jackshit about this release. WTF?
It's a catalog BD-R release, what do you expect?
Information on what is or is not included. Does it include the Japanese version? What is the source it is being taken from? Will it have subtitles or dubtitles? Is the audio going to be uncompressed or lossy? Is it taken from a 4K master or a VHS master? Will it have bonus features? Is it going to be a 25 or 50 GB disc? What does the actual cover art look like?

It's not freaking rocket science. Do they just want peopel to blind buy it without knowing anything about it? If so, that's fucking -------- and is only going to lead to failure.

WB gave the full specs for what the Batman The Animated Series box set coming out next month was going to include when it was announced. There is no excuse for this much laziness on Sony's part.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote: WB gave the full specs for what the Batman The Animated Series box set coming out next month was going to include when it was announced. There is no excuse for this much laziness on Sony's part.
Yeah, a big budget box-set of one of the most highly regarded animated series of all time is comparable to a cheap, manufactured-on-demand catalog title. :roll:

This isn't a Scream Factory/Criterion release. It's a made-to-order disc that only exists so Sony can make a few bucks on the side. Stop treating it like a triple-A movie release.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote: WB gave the full specs for what the Batman The Animated Series box set coming out next month was going to include when it was announced. There is no excuse for this much laziness on Sony's part.
Yeah, a big budget box-set of one of the most highly regarded animated series of all time is comparable to a cheap, manufactured-on-demand catalog title. :roll:
You do know the BTAS set is made under their Warner Archive banner, right? It is the same thing as this Sony thing. Sony needs to stop being fucking lazy and tell us what the specs are.

Why are you even defending them? You should be demanding to know the specs like I am. There is no excuse for bullshit like this.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

“Let me complain to you guys because Sony hasn’t reported any specs!”
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote: You do know the BTAS set is made under their Warner Archive banner, right? It is the same thing as this Sony thing.
Yes, but BTAS is a much more important release than BIOS and naturally would get a much better treatment.

Also, different companies, different ways of doing things.
Kaiju no Kami wrote: Why are you even defending them?
Telling you how things work isn't defending them.
Kaiju no Kami wrote: You should be demanding to know the specs like I am.
Nah.

1.) I'm not a petulant, entitled brat.
2.) I don't care enough about fucking Battle in Outer Space of all films to stamp my feet and pout.
3.) I already own the DVD with everything I need on it and if I suddenly want to upgrade it to BR, I have a source to get a much better copy than what Sony is likely to put out.