Page 2 of 3

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:34 pm
by UltramanGoji
Joseph Goodman wrote:LAKE and EVIL apparently do have their dubs:

http://dvddrive-in.com/reviews/a-d/bloo ... 707174.htm


Holy crap, I thought that was an Angelfire website when I clicked on it. :dizzy:

Man...$31.39 on Amazon at the moment. It's seriously tempting, but I have to save for G-FEST. I'm trusting it'll stay that way for a good while.

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:02 pm
by Joseph Goodman
UltramanGoji wrote:
Holy crap, I thought that was an Angelfire website when I clicked on it. :dizzy:

Man...$31.39 on Amazon at the moment. It's seriously tempting, but I have to save for G-FEST. I'm trusting it'll stay that way for a good while.



Yeah, that site is a little stuck in the 90's... reminds me of Sinister Cinema's old site.

A review of "The Vampire Doll" is up, with screencaps:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDrevie ... lu-ray.htm


I have no idea if Arrow did their own transfer or not, but at least this doesn't look like the mush Toho has supplied in the past.

The best deal on this set I've seen so far, for $27.99:

https://www.deepdiscount.com/the-bloodt ... 0137126881

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:46 pm
by Godzilla21
Joseph Goodman wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Holy crap, I thought that was an Angelfire website when I clicked on it. :dizzy:

Man...$31.39 on Amazon at the moment. It's seriously tempting, but I have to save for G-FEST. I'm trusting it'll stay that way for a good while.



Yeah, that site is a little stuck in the 90's... reminds me of Sinister Cinema's old site.

A review of "The Vampire Doll" is up, with screencaps:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDrevie ... lu-ray.htm


I have no idea if Arrow did their own transfer or not, but at least this doesn't look like the mush Toho has supplied in the past.

The best deal on this set I've seen so far, for $27.99:

https://www.deepdiscount.com/the-bloodt ... 0137126881


The transfer looks good. I just sold my DVD copies a few days ago. Ready for this!

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:48 am
by MandaSaurus
Never seen these films, but I've always griped that the US never gets anything Toho outside of their kaiju movies, and this certainly seems like a step in the right direction. Count me in! Ordered mine thru Amazon...

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 am
by Joseph Goodman
Blu-ray.com has reviews for the full set up:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Blood ... 48/#Review

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:58 am
by kingkevzilla88
I got the set today, as well as few other films. I plan on watching over the next couple of days and I'll give me full thoughts on them at the end of the week. I hope this sells well enough for Arrow, so they will release more of Toho's genre films.

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:14 am
by MandaSaurus
Mine is on the way. Amazon says it will be here by June 4, at latest. Never seen 'em before, so looking forward to it...

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:53 pm
by Godsteigman
I enjoyed all three films, which to me were all quite similar in some aspects, the PQ was excellent overall. Im happy to have this set. I never had seen the movies until I received the set. They have a Hammer horror feel to them as well. Recommended !

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:55 pm
by Godzilla21
Got my set today too. Haven't had a chance to watch. I do enjoy these films though. Probably get around to it this weekend

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am
by kingkevzilla88
I finished watching them last night, all three are highly enjoyable vampire movies. In order of preference, I say Evil of Dracula, The Vampire Doll then Lake of Dracula. I'll say the video and audio quality is superb, the only downside I'll say is the lack of special features. The booklet that comes with the set, very well written and adds more movies for me to track down.

I really hope this does well that Arrow goes after more of Toho's genre films as well as more Japanese horror films from the before the J-horror boom.

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:50 pm
by cloverfan98
kingkevzilla88 wrote:I finished watching them last night, all three are highly enjoyable vampire movies. In order of preference, I say Evil of Dracula, The Vampire Doll then Lake of Dracula. I'll say the video and audio quality is superb, the only downside I'll say is the lack of special features. The booklet that comes with the set, very well written and adds more movies for me to track down.

I really hope this does well that Arrow goes after more of Toho's genre films as well as more Japanese horror films from the before the J-horror boom.


It's after the J-horror boom but I believe they did a re-release of the original Dark Water film.

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:24 am
by kingkevzilla88
It's after the J-horror boom but I believe they did a re-release of the original Dark Water film.


I do have that, and it's fantastic.

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:22 am
by tbeasley
These movies are so cool.

For me Lake was the strongest of the bunch but all three have a wonderfully spooky stylish look and feel to them. Makes me curious as to what a Michio Yamamoto Godzilla film would be like, I imagine something like a cross between Hedorah and Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Godzilla fans should recognize quite a few faces as well - In Vampire Doll Sachio Sakai (Hagiwara in the original Godzilla and a bit player in many other Honda sci-fi films) cameos as a cab driver, and a young Akira Nakao (Commander Aso in the Heisei series and Prime Minister in the Kiryu films) stars as the male protagonist. Shin Kishida (the Interpol agent in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla) appears as the main vampire in the last two films, and he's one of the coolest screen vampires I've ever seen.

Only thing that really bothered me, and I hope I was seeing things, but I'm pretty sure there's some animal violence in the first film, where it appears a crow gets its throat slit. It goes by fast but it should go without saying that is appalling and unnecessary... there's also a pretty convincing dead dog in the second film, but I like to think that was a well done prop.

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:47 pm
by Goji
That's most definitely not a dead dog..that's something nobody would have been okay with. It's the same dog (Leo), but just playing dead, and with some fake blood and make-up applied.

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:34 am
by kingkevzilla88
The Dog is definitely a prop, the scene is shown unedited in the UK edition. The UK government is extremely videlatlent on animal cruelty being shown on film. It's why the Italian cannibal films aren't available uncut over here.

anyway, it's great to see people rediscover these films.

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:12 pm
by Goji
Ah okay, I haven't had the time to watch the Blu-Ray yet, and it's been a really long time since I've seen it. I remember it looking really lifelike, but maybe it's more obviously a prop on the Blu-Ray transfer compared to the the murky LaserDisc or DVD rip that I've been watching for a while now.

If the scene was cut from the U.S. version, than I don't remember. I haven't seen those edits in a long time, but I do recall them being edited for blood and nudity (which isn't surprising; they premiered on TV in the States).

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:13 am
by mikelcho
Now that Arrow Films has released this trilogy, wouldn't it be great if they did the same for other lesser-known Toho films (yes, I'm looking at you, Gorath !)?

Added in 1 month 10 hours 15 minutes 21 seconds:
Well, I'm finally going to order the The Bloodthirsty Trilogy Blu-ray tomorrow (it's about time)! Can't wait to get it!

Added in 1 day 23 seconds:
Just ordered it this afternoon. I'll be waiting with bated breath!

Added in 18 hours 11 minutes 34 seconds:
UPDATE: It should be in the mail at my house on Friday.

Added in 1 day 5 hours 28 minutes 8 seconds:
UPDATE 2: Make that Saturday.

Added in 2 days 13 hours 48 seconds:
It came in on Friday (8-31-18) after all! Yesssss! I've only got one question: the Blu-ray (which I know is British in origin) says that it's Region A. Is that the same as Region 1 that's used in this country?

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:16 am
by Maritonic
mikelcho wrote:Now that Arrow Films has released this trilogy, wouldn't it be great if they did the same for other lesser-known Toho films (yes, I'm looking at you, Gorath !)?

Added in 1 month 10 hours 15 minutes 21 seconds:
Well, I'm finally going to order the The Bloodthirsty Trilogy Blu-ray tomorrow (it's about time)! Can't wait to get it!

Added in 1 day 23 seconds:
Just ordered it this afternoon. I'll be waiting with bated breath!

Added in 18 hours 11 minutes 34 seconds:
UPDATE: It should be in the mail at my house on Friday.

Added in 1 day 5 hours 28 minutes 8 seconds:
UPDATE 2: Make that Saturday.

Added in 2 days 13 hours 48 seconds:
It came in on Friday (8-31-18) after all! Yesssss! I've only got one question: the Blu-ray (which I know is British in origin) says that it's Region A. Is that the same as Region 1 that's used in this country?


"This" country meaning....USA? What country do you live in lol

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am
by mikelcho
Yes, the US. Guess I should've mentioned that.

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:17 am
by kingkevzilla88
mikelcho wrote:Yes, the US. Guess I should've mentioned that.


It should play fine, Region A covers the US, the same thing with region 1.