Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by o.supreme »

I've asked several times, whenever someone brings up releasing a Blu Ray box set of Heisei/Millennium movies, other than accurate subtitles for some of the films, and G 1985 ( neither of which seems to hold any possibility currently), what possible benefit could there be over all the individual releases already produced?
Last edited by o.supreme on Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If GVKG/GVM are anything to go by, not being totally out of print on Blu-Ray for one.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Something being OOP does not mean impossible to obtain. I know many people obviously don't want to pay inflated prices. But then that begs the question...why wait so long? I'm not saying there are no excuses, but it seems like if it wasn't a priority before, no reason why it should be now, its not as if this was the Gamera Arrow set that sold out even before its release. The sony BRD's were readily available for several years.

Still, I know for myself, if I want something bad enough, I'll go out of my way to obtain it. I'll continue to check eBay, Amazon etc... for the item I want until I find it at what I personally consider to be a reasonable price, and get it. I've obtained several OOP titles this way. I know everyone is different, but for me personally I find it hard to comprehend just sitting and hoping/complaining/waiting years for a re release that may or may not happen when the thing I want is legitimately out there, even if it costs more now because it is not readily available.

Case in point: I know I can Get Ultraman Great & Ultraman Powered BRD's from TPC in Japan for about $150 each, with English dubs and all. I know the current Agreement with Mill Creek does not include these series. If I wanted them bad enough, I'd pay that huge price, but I don't, and that is fine. I hope MC does eventually release them, but I'm not going to complain and be unhappy until they do.

I also wanted all of the Neptune VHS releases of the Gamera films. They are super niche, but I really appreciate them. I was missing Gamera vs Zigra for the longest time, as the only eBay seller with one was asking over $100 for it. (I know it's essentially the same as the King Features VHS with Sandy Frank Dub, but has a unique Title Sequence in English, not included on the Arrow set). A few months back I was actually able to get one for about $20, and complete my collection.
Last edited by o.supreme on Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

I remember back when I became a fan, it was VHS tapes of Godzilla Raids Again and Godzilla vs. Hedorah that were impossible to find in stores. I didn’t know at that age what it meant for a title to be out of print, nor did I have any concept of international film licensing deals and how finite they are.

Every year is the first year of being a Godzilla fan for a lot of people, most of whom are kids who’ve just seen their first Godzilla movie and are eager to take the plunge with the rest of the series. That’s why it’s always important for each of these flicks to have a licensed release available in the current physical media format.

Of course fans nowadays can see every Godzilla movie for the first time with ease by finding free streaming & downloading options online. That eliminates the need for any fan to fork over $65 to $250 for a used copy of Godzilla vs. Biollante just so they can see the movie at all. That’s a nice relief for fans who are discovering out-of-print Godzilla films but downloading shouldn’t be a permanent substitute for physical media. Fans should want to physically own the Godzilla movies, and they shouldn’t want to build their collections so badly that they’ll pay ridiculous prices for movies on discs.

Anybody who just became a Godzilla fan in the past year has been able to buy new BRD copies of the live-action films at reasonable prices with the exceptions of Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mothra. Hopefully Toho's hamstringing of the Criterion set won't discourage other companies from licensing those three Heisei flicks and giving them new releases for a new generation of fans.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I remember when the ONLY way to see the films was on TV, unless you were super rich and could afford film prints. My dad actually did have a couple super-8 reels with clips from Godzilla films, but every time one was on TV it was an Event as a kid I didn't want to miss. In the mid-late 80's it was all about recording them off of TV, or using 2 VCR's to make copies from video rental stores (The Idea of owning them wasn't possible until I believe Video Treasures starting releasing them inexpensively in 1990) Coincidentally Godzilla Raids Again was the first G film I actually owned on VHS. And the only reason I got it because it was so inexpensive, and it was an 8th grade graduation gift. (June 1990) At the time, I would have preferred just to rent it, and make a copy, but I had never seen it at a video store for rent before.

I wont go through how in the past 30 years I got them all on VHS, DVD, and now BRD, but it is as you say, A Different World Today. Far easier to physically own these films now than ever before, even if OOP. The sad truth is , most media unless it is Marvel/Star Wars, or preeminent Disney will always go OOP at some point. As much as we all Love Godzilla, to think that these films will always be available in perpetuity on Physical media is a pipe dream. A Child just becoming a fan of Godzilla this year, may take several years before they decide they even want to own all the films. Yet most can be tracked down on streaming, and less than above board methods, but for those kids that will probably suffice. I'm not saying they never will be released again, but I'd rather spend a few more dollars to get what I can now, rather than waiting for the unknown future. But again, that may just be me. I'm actually surprised Funimation is doing another BRD release of Shin after only 3 years since the last BRD/DVD combo, while technically "OOP", it is still reasonably priced on the secondary market.

Also, for the record, I wouldn't totaly object to a Complete Heisei/Millennium/Shin set (14 Films) to compliment the Criterion Showa Set . The only thing it could offer however to entice me to purchase would be accurate subtitles of all the films, and G1985, other than that, what I already have is sufficient.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

^ Oh for sure, I was all about recording things on videotape as a kid in the ‘90s. I’d program the VCR to record shows and movies so I wouldn’t miss them, and I’d keep collections of episodes on tapes before they ever started releasing full-season DVD sets. The Godzilla film series was the first thing I really became a devoted fan of, though, and with that came the desire to actually own all of the Godzilla movies myself.

I do kind of envy kids who’ve become Godzilla fans in the past few years, since it’s so easy for them to find all of the Godzilla movies online and see them all for the first time whenever they want. On the other hand, the amount of scrounging that I had to do to find the various Showa & Heisei movies in video stores, on TV broadcasts and from buying tapes over the internet was all part of my formative experience of being a fan, and I wonder if new fans today won’t get as much satisfaction from not needing to put as much effort into discovering the films.

I can definitely sympathize with anyone who has become a fan in the past year and realized that there are three Godzilla movies from the Heisei Series that they can’t find on home media at reasonable prices. I know that game. It’s good that Funimation is keeping Shin Godzilla available on the North American market. I guess they decided it would be more cost-effective for them to discontinue their 2-disc BRD/DVD release and replace it with this 1-disc BRD edition. I don't feel compelled to get it myself since it's probably just the same BRD that I already own but what matters is that Shin Godzilla remains available for fans who don't own it yet, including those who aren't fans yet.

As for the rest of the Heisei & Millennium movies that Sony has released on BRD, there’s not a whole lot of room for improvement. Godzilla 2000 lacks the international English dub but it has the uncut Japanese version with subtitles, the US version with the audio commentary and even some other special features. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Spacegodzilla both look really good and Destroyer looks much better than Toho’s own HD transfer. Final Wars looks the same as ever and it still has the same subtitles that date back to the film’s Hollywood premiere. GMK could sure use a re-release with a better transfer and accurate subtitles. GxMG also got a downgrade from Sony’s DVD to BRD in both the video quality and the subtitles, so it could use an improved re-release. GxM and GMMG look good but they also need accurate subtitles.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

That's one of the main things I'm holding out for, is accurate subtitles. I haven't bought any of the Sony Heisei/Millennium BRs, and don't own the post-89 Heiseis, G2K, SOS, or GFW in any format. Haven't seen any of them in 5+ years, either, for that matter. I'm definitely getting to the point where I want to see them again, though... I'm on the verge of biting the bullet and grabbing the available Sony disks while I can, but I know that a new set will be announced a month after I do.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:33 am That's one of the main things I'm holding out for, is accurate subtitles. I haven't bought any of the Sony Heisei/Millennium BRs, and don't own the post-89 Heiseis, G2K, SOS, or GFW in any format. Haven't seen any of them in 5+ years, either, for that matter. I'm definitely getting to the point where I want to see them again, though... I'm on the verge of biting the bullet and grabbing the available Sony disks while I can, but I know that a new set will be announced a month after I do.
Unlikely, not for a few years at least. Although some films are currently unlicensed (84, 89, GvKG and GvM), many of the remaining Heisei films as well as the Millennium films don't revert to Toho until 2023. I believe there's one Millennium film (I think it may be Godzilla 2000, but I could be wrong there) that won't revert until either 2024 or 2025.

Something to note is that Sony will still own distribution rights to Mothra, Battle in Outer Space, and H-Man, due to a deal Toho did with Columbia pictures during the production of those films.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:02 am As for the rest of the Heisei & Millennium movies that Sony has released on BRD, there’s not a whole lot of room for improvement. Godzilla 2000 lacks the international English dub but it has the uncut Japanese version with subtitles, the US version with the audio commentary and even some other special features. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Spacegodzilla both look really good and Destroyer looks much better than Toho’s own HD transfer. Final Wars looks the same as ever and it still has the same subtitles that date back to the film’s Hollywood premiere. GMK could sure use a re-release with a better transfer and accurate subtitles. GxMG also got a downgrade from Sony’s DVD to BRD in both the video quality and the subtitles, so it could use an improved re-release. GxM and GMMG look good but they also need accurate subtitles.
As far as the transfers go, some of them might be better than their Toho HiVision counterparts, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be greatly improved upon. For example, the portions of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II that Sony itself did are fantastic, but the Blu-ray presentation still defaults to the hideous, noisy HiVision transfer for the bulk of the film.

Toho:
Resized Image

Sony:
Resized Image

And an example of the dramatic improvement in Sony's scan:

Resized Image
Resized Image

The grading, contrast, clarity and definition are all markedly better, but as noted, the new transfer makes up a small portion of the film.

Full-rez image comparisons of the Toho and Sony MGII discs here.

Sony had an HD transfer of the export version of Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla on iTunes prior to its Blu-ray release. Unfortunately, it's not as strong as their similar HD scan for Godzilla vs Mothra, but it's interesting to compare the three HD versions of the film (Toho's HiVision, Sony's BD, and the iTunes release). I only nabbed some screenshots from the sunset beach scene, here: I think the Sony BD's color timing wrecks this scene, but none of these transfers is definitive. (Note that the iTunes screenshots lack fine detail because it's a web download.)

I have but haven't watched the Sony GFW, so I can't comment on that, but I think all the rest of Godzilla flix Sony released on Blu-ray have plenty of room for improvement.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

the most jarring change is if you compare toho's godzilla vs destoroyah bluray vs sony's. wtf were toho thinking with their release? why the green ugly look? did they lose the correct transfer or something? lol

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

airforce111 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:11 am the most jarring change is if you compare toho's godzilla vs destoroyah bluray vs sony's. wtf were toho thinking with their release? why the green ugly look? did they lose the correct transfer or something? lol
That nasty, murky green wash may have been intentional, reflecting how the film looked when screened in 1995. Elsewhere, I believe SpacehunterM has mentioned that the timing of the HiVision transfer is consistent with the look of the Hong Kong and other Asian theatrical releases that have seen video release. So if that's the case, and if it were up to me, I'd present the film two ways: one that reflects the theatrical look, but another that is more neutrally graded, ala the 2000 TriStar DVD. IMO, that's still the most appealing video transfer of the film, even with the excessive edge enhancement.

It's also worth mentioning that a better and more modern scan of the film, graded the same way, would output a better transfer than the Toho HiVision.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:53 am As far as the transfers go, some of them might be better than their Toho HiVision counterparts, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be greatly improved upon. For example, the portions of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II that Sony itself did are fantastic, but the Blu-ray presentation still defaults to the hideous, noisy HiVision transfer for the bulk of the film.

Toho:
https://i.postimg.cc/dwQYNqkm/mg-8-toho.png

Sony:
https://i.postimg.cc/kJN0wZ7p/mg-8-sony.png

And an example of the dramatic improvement in Sony's scan:

https://i.postimg.cc/2jDzShSP/mg-3-toho.png
https://i.postimg.cc/jxVTMPPL/mg-3-sony.png

The grading, contrast, clarity and definition are all markedly better, but as noted, the new transfer makes up a small portion of the film.

Full-rez image comparisons of the Toho and Sony MGII discs here.

Sony had an HD transfer of the export version of Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla on iTunes prior to its Blu-ray release. Unfortunately, it's not as strong as their similar HD scan for Godzilla vs Mothra, but it's interesting to compare the three HD versions of the film (Toho's HiVision, Sony's BD, and the iTunes release). I only nabbed some screenshots from the sunset beach scene, here: I think the Sony BD's color timing wrecks this scene, but none of these transfers is definitive. (Note that the iTunes screenshots lack fine detail because it's a web download.)

I have but haven't watched the Sony GFW, so I can't comment on that, but I think all the rest of Godzilla flix Sony released on Blu-ray have plenty of room for improvement.
Thanks for sharing those screenshots. Don't get me wrong, I'd spring for a re-release of pretty much any Godzilla movie if it's a different transfer from what's been released before. Mechagodzilla could have benefited from Sony doing the entire transfer themselves, and they sure could have handled that beach scene in Spacegodzilla better, but I think most of the Heisei & Millennium BRDs that have been released so far are noticeably better than Toho's transfers and they definitely shouldn't be skipped by any fans who care to own these movies on physical media.

GFW is one film that doesn't need a new transfer. It's always been a heavily stylized movie with saturated color filters and a thick amount of grain that's probably artificial. Sony's DVD looked just like Toho's DVD and Sony's BRD maintained that same look in HD. I know there was a European DVD release of Final Wars in 2005 or 2006 that had all of the color filters removed, which would be interesting to check out, but I'm content to have the movie keep looking the way it's always looked.

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:33 am That's one of the main things I'm holding out for, is accurate subtitles. I haven't bought any of the Sony Heisei/Millennium BRs, and don't own the post-89 Heiseis, G2K, SOS, or GFW in any format. Haven't seen any of them in 5+ years, either, for that matter. I'm definitely getting to the point where I want to see them again, though... I'm on the verge of biting the bullet and grabbing the available Sony disks while I can, but I know that a new set will be announced a month after I do.
Pal, do not wait to get this stuff! We're not talking about Hollywood movies here, we're talking about foreign movies with niche marketability and finite licensing deals. Whenever any of these flicks gets released on any physical media format, that release only sticks around for so many years and then it's out of print. The number of existing units for that title is set at that point and can only dwindle, as online retailers' stock eventually depletes and they all get bought from whatever stores had them on their shelves, leaving only the third-party sellers to offer all of the copies they snatched up at whatever inflated prices they can gouge out of fans.

Whether it's VHS tapes, laserdiscs, DVDs, blu-ray discs or any other format, every licensed release of a Godzilla, Gamera or other foreign monster movie was brand new at one point and widely available for some time. There's nothing wrong with owning multiple copies of the same film, since different releases will have varying content when it comes to transfers, subtitles, dubs and special features. These releases all come and go over the years and it's up to us fans not to let them slip through our grasp when they're available.

Classic Media released Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster on DVD in 2007 and they bundled it in a box set with six other Godzilla movies later that year. Those DVDs were so easy to find at cheap prices for so many years, especially after Classic Media re-released them in cheaper packaging in 2012. For less than $9 you could order a brand new, shrinkwrapped DVD copy of Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster during those years. Heck, you could have ordered a dozen of them and the retailer still would have just restocked their supply. It was so easy to take that availability for granted during those years, and now it's surreal to look at Amazon and see that right now they only have three puportedly new copies of that DVD from third-party sellers with prices ranging from $50 to $80. There are a couple of used copies currently going for less than $30 but most of those prices are way up there too.

Sony staked out some long-term licensing deals with Toho for the '90s & 2000s films back when they were actively involved with the franchise. They released their Godzilla 2000 DVD in December 2000, just over 20 years ago, and new copies of that DVD are still available for under $7 online. Sony's rights to that flick are up for renewal in 2025, so don't be surprised to see the prices of those Godzilla 2000 DVDs skyrocket five years from now when they're suddenly only available on the resale market.

Sony's rights to Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mothra were up for renewal in 2019. Since 2020, all of Sony's DVD and BRD releases of those two titles have apparently gone out of print, unavailable from online retailers, and the prices from third-party sellers are through the roof. At this time there is one seller offering a new copy of Sony's 2014 BRD double feature with a $270 asking price. As for Sony's 2014 DVD re-release that bundled GvsKG and GvsMothra with GMK, right now there are two used copies listed for upwards of $70 on Amazon. Sony's original 1998 double feature DVD, which included GvsKG on one side of a flipper disc and GvsMothra on the other side, is currently fetching more than $40 for used copies and upwards of $50 for a copy listed as new.

Right now, new & shrinkwrapped copies of Sony's Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Spacegodzilla 2014 BRD double feature are only $15 on Amazon. Their Destroyer and Megaguirus double feature set is currently even cheaper than that, and the same goes for their GMK and GxMG double feature set, and their Rebirth of Mothra triple feature set. Every one of those releases includes movies for which Sony's distribution rights are up for renewal in 2023, so we'd be foolish not to expect every one of those BRD sets to go the same way as Sony's GvsKG and GvsMothra releases come 2024, which is now just three years away. We don't know when Sony's rights to GxMG, GMMG and GFW are up for renewal, whether that will be in 2025 like G2K or sometime later, but I wouldn't let Sony's GMMG and GFW double feature set or their G2K dual-version BRD get away from you either. All of those releases will be out of print and expensive in a few years.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

I was really hoping that Sony was going to do a cheap Blu-ray bundle of the Heisei and millennium series when Godzilla 2014 or KotM came out. Sadly nothing.

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

I'd like to own them, but those bundles don't make any sense.
Besides, I already own all of Heisei stuff. I just want the Millenium ones. And these do not appeal at all to me, because of the heisei stuf thrown together. But I guess i'll have to get them someday anyway...

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Lecontinentperdu wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:48 am I'd like to own them, but those bundles don't make any sense.
Besides, I already own all of Heisei stuff. I just want the Millenium ones. And these do not appeal at all to me, because of the heisei stuf thrown together. But I guess i'll have to get them someday anyway...
The only one of the double features that mixes Heisei/Millennium is the Destoroyah/Megaguirus disc; which happened because G2K got it's own deluxe release. That's literally one out of a handful.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

SuperDuper-X
Ronin

Post by SuperDuper-X »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:31 pm Pal, do not wait to get this stuff! We're not talking about Hollywood movies here, we're talking about foreign movies with niche marketability and finite licensing deals. Whenever any of these flicks gets released on any physical media format, that release only sticks around for so many years and then it's out of print. The number of existing units for that title is set at that point and can only dwindle, as online retailers' stock eventually depletes and they all get bought from whatever stores had them on their shelves, leaving only the third-party sellers to offer all of the copies they snatched up at whatever inflated prices they can gouge out of fans.
Thank you for this information!

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

^ As long as I didn't inspire you to become a scalper, you're welcome. :mrgreen:

Malchik wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:42 pm I was really hoping that Sony was going to do a cheap Blu-ray bundle of the Heisei and millennium series when Godzilla 2014 or KotM came out. Sadly nothing.
Sony's Godzilla & Mothra BRDs may not be bundled together in one big set but they couldn't really be any cheaper than they already are. For less than $85 you can get all of the 1993-2004 Godzilla movies and the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy. That's 12 movies on 11 blu-ray discs. Compared to Criterion's Godzilla set (15 movies on 8 discs) and Arrow's Gamera set (12 movies on 8 discs), both of which cost at least $112 at their cheapest, Sony's BRDs are an even better deal.

Goji wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:39 am
Lecontinentperdu wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:48 am I'd like to own them, but those bundles don't make any sense.
The only one of the double features that mixes Heisei/Millennium is the Destoroyah/Megaguirus disc; which happened because G2K got it's own deluxe release. That's literally one out of a handful.
Additionally, all of Sony's double-feature bundles have each Godzilla movie on a blu-ray disc unto itself. Destroyer and Megaguirus come in the same case but each movie has its own disc, so you don't have to keep them together in the same case if you don't want to.

Take Sony's 1-disc Megaguirus DVD, remove the disc and the wraparound cover from the case, put the disc and wraparound cover into an empty 2-disc case, and then add Sony's Megaguirus BRD to that case in the other disc slot. Presto! The copy of Godzilla vs. Megaguirus on your shelf is now a 2-disc BRD/DVD combo set! You can do that with all of them!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:54 pm Take Sony's 1-disc Megaguirus DVD, remove the disc and the wraparound cover from the case, put the disc and wraparound cover into an empty 2-disc case, and then add Sony's Megaguirus BRD to that case in the other disc slot. Presto! The copy of Godzilla vs. Megaguirus on your shelf is now a 2-disc BRD/DVD combo set! You can do that with all of them!
.... Holy shit. This man is a genius. That is legit one of the reasons I never got Sony's BRs, lol.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I lost the link but someone was doing marketing analysts on the Criterion set and estimated Tohomlikely cost themselves 25 to 30% of profits from G fans but not including the dubs for the early showa films as well.

Wish I could find the link again but I could see that. If 4 G fans saw this set that means 3 out of 4 still bought it.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm I lost the link but someone was doing marketing analysts on the Criterion set and estimated Tohomlikely cost themselves 25 to 30% of profits from G fans but not including the dubs for the early showa films as well.

Wish I could find the link again but I could see that. If 4 G fans saw this set that means 3 out of 4 still bought it.
That claim doesn’t pass the smell test. After Criterion’s Godzilla set was announced in late July 2019, pre-orders made it one of Amazon’s top 100 bestsellers in movies & TV, peaking at #9 on August 12:

After it was released in late October 2019 and Amazon matched Barnes & Noble’s $112 sale price, Criterion’s Godzilla set rocketed up to Amazon’s #1 bestselling movie or TV product by November 2:

The set remained one of Amazon’s top 100 bestsellers throughout November 2019. There was no indication that sales were muted at all, and certainly not by any measure that could be attributed to a lack of specific English dubbed audio tracks. My guess is there were fewer than 100 Godzilla fans who boycotted the set for that reason.

The set sold so well that it became a rising tide that lifted all ships. On November 11 of 2019, while the Criterion set was still the #42 bestselling movie/TV title on Amazon and Legendary’s still-new G:KotM was at #86, the BRD editions of Shin Godzilla and the Heisei & Millennium films were all among the top 33 bestselling foreign film products on Amazon.

Heck, with all of the web-based publicity stemming from the Godzilla vs. Kong trailer, Criterion’s Godzilla set is currently just outside the top 100 on Amazon at #118 after being available for more than a year! This is today: