Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I was skeptical about that myself -- I shop at Target all the time and I've never seen a Criterion release in their stores -- but they do carry some on their website, though seemingly not all of them.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm not getting it until it's released during a 50% off sale.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Understandable

This is a day one for me, though
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I was skeptical about that myself -- I shop at Target all the time and I've never seen a Criterion release in their stores -- but they do carry some on their website, though seemingly not all of them.
Well that's just due mostly to targets not having a big media section anymore. But they've had then on their sites since at least the original Godzilla release they did.

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Understandable

This is a day one for me, though

Couldn't agree more, support the official releases asap so we continue to get amazing releases. If people want to try and get more toho stuff from criterion should set the preorders on fire when it's official. Because that is one sure way to get then to maybe do more films in the genre from toho.

Cuz me personally I want them to do Frankenstein Conquers the World so we can get the American exclusive scenes restored finally.
Last edited by G-MAN on Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Who am I kidding, I'll probably jump on a pre-order day 1 as well.

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

OH MY GOD, ITS HAPPENING!!!!!!!!
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Cookson wrote:So the only film not included will be kKvsG ??
We don't know that yet.
We get Megalon in this?
Presumably. Janus has had the rights for a while.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I expect we'll get the Japanese and international versions at the least. I would love the American versions as well however.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Terasawa wrote:
Cookson wrote:So the only film not included will be kKvsG ??
We don't know that yet.
We get Megalon in this?
Presumably. Janus has had the rights for a while.

It's not going to be included. There is no way they managed to secure the rights to put out the Japanese release from universal and Toho. Not to mention even if they did Toho wouldn't allow them to as it would cause people in Japan to import it rather than buy the overpriced Toho disc whenever it gets put out. As they've yet to do anything besides broadcast the 4k remaster.
Last edited by G-MAN on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

miguelnuva wrote:I expect we'll get the Japanese and international versions at the least. I would love the American versions as well however.
Honestly, I'll be pleasantly surprised if the International versions are included. I'm fully expecting Japanese cut w/ subtitles ONLY for all, plus the KOTM cut of G54 included as a bonus simply because they already have it and I figure that disc is going to be just a reprint of the previous release. I'll be jumping for joy if there's anything more than just the Japanese cut of each film.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

G-MAN wrote:It's not going to be included. There is no way they managed to secure the rights to put out the Japanese release from universal and Toho. Not to mention even if they did Toho wouldn't allow them to as it would cause people in Japan to import it rather than buy the overpriced Toho disc whenever it gets put out. As they've yet to do anything besides broadcast the 4k remaster.
How about we wait until the specs to come out before making statements that "it's not going to be included"? I understand the hurdles Criterion has to clear and I know it's a real possibility that KKvG won't be included, but the fact is we know nothing for certain about this release. We didn't even know for certain that a release was coming, it's all just been speculation based on Janus' licensing of certain films and their appearance on TV and streaming, noncommittal comments from Criterion's social media, and vague statements from people "in the know." The Target listing, which is a placeholder, doesn't even have any real information yet to suggest this is Criterion.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It doesn't make sense to me that this, probably the most prestigious and complete release of the entire Showa series, would be missing a film, especially one like KKVG which is important to why the Showa series of films is culturally relevant to this very day.

Wario94
Samurai

Post by Wario94 »

UltramanGoji wrote:It doesn't make sense to me that this, probably the most prestigious and complete release of the entire Showa series, would be missing a film, especially one like KKVG which is important to why the Showa series of films is culturally relevant to this very day.
You have a good point. For all of the Showa Godzilla films I watched (excluding Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, that's the only film I didn't watched yet), King Kong vs. Godzilla is the only Showa film in which I only watched the Universal English dub version but not the original Japanese language version.
Last edited by Wario94 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Wario94 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:It doesn't make sense to me that this, probably the most prestigious and complete release of the entire Showa series, would be missing a film, especially one like KKVG which is important to why the Showa series of films is culturally relevant to this very day.
You have a good point. For all of the Showa Godzilla films I watched (excluding Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, that's the only film I didn't watched yet), King Kong vs. Godzilla is the only Showa film in which I only watched the Universal English dub version but not the original Japanese language version.
True it wouldn't be the full showa era. But unless Toho has completely change the way they worked or criterion somehow got the rights from both universal and Toho for either just the English cut or both I highly doubt it's inclusion. Especially since toho like most Japanese companies doesn't really like when other companies best them to the punch on releases as it makes it harder for them to make more money in Japan on their over priced releases. As they have yet to do anything besides broadcast the 4k remasters of this and the other films.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Criterion's already bested Toho in their standalone G54 release, four years after Toho themselves put it out on Blu-Ray.

Toho doesn't care about other countries having better releases, just other companies having any releases before their home market. The entire Showa series has been available on Blu-Ray in Japan for years. The average Japanese consumer is likely not gonna bother importing an expensive box set. Toho likely knows that cinephiles and hardcore fans in Japan are gonna do it anyway, no sense in crippling the Western market over these concerns.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I have to say, this could be EXTREMELY interesting to see how it plays out. Will it be ALL of the Showa films...? Could they have done the impossible and roped all the different current rights holders together and acquired the rights from them? Including Gigan, Hedorah and Sea Monster from Kraken and KKvG from Universal? It'd be amazing. I'm doubting, but absolutely amazing. Price tag seems pretty reasonable as well.

Now, for the flip side, and I imagine I'm in the minority here, but if they DON'T include dubs/international versions, count me out. Yeah, don't get me wrong. I understand the importance of the original subbed versions. But when I want to watch some dumb monster movie mayhem, I don't feel like READING Godzilla vs. Megalon or Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla. You don't need subs to "appreciate" the later Showa films, they're not some high level art, hell, none of the Godzilla films are.

Then, also, this leads us to could they eventually be planning a Heisei era pack? Could Sony fold on the rights? Millennium after that? How expansive is Criterion's plans!? Will the Showa box contain FCTW, WOTG and Rodan? Who knows!? And before anyone says Heisei doesn't belong with Criterion, I'm, just gonna' remind everyone here this collection also features Michael Bay works.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MM Raids Again wrote:I have to say, this could be EXTREMELY interesting to see how it plays out. Will it be ALL of the Showa films...? Could they have done the impossible and roped all the different current rights holders together and acquired the rights from them? Including Gigan, Hedorah and Sea Monster from Kraken and KKvG from Universal? It'd be amazing. I'm doubting, but absolutely amazing. Price tag seems pretty reasonable as well.
Well, we know that Janus/Criterion at least have Hedorah and Gigan since they're being advertised for screenings. Sea Monster is a wild card right now, but safe to assume it's in their grasps. After that, pretty much every other Showa film is (to shorthand a bit) owned by them now except KKVG which would be the only one left. I don't think they'd release an incomplete box set.
MM Raids Again wrote: Now, for the flip side, and I imagine I'm in the minority here, but if they DON'T include dubs/international versions, count me out. Yeah, don't get me wrong. I understand the importance of the original subbed versions. But when I want to watch some dumb monster movie mayhem, I don't feel like READING Godzilla vs. Megalon or Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla. You don't need subs to "appreciate" the later Showa films, they're not some high level art, hell, none of the Godzilla films are.
I think it's pretty much guaranteed that we'll at least get any International dubs since they're meant to sync up specifically to the Japanese cuts. Though, that leaves the question of what happens to the films without any International dubs? There might be some restoration on those English versions, but the rumor mill says that Gigantis, for example, isn't coming. That could mean the version of the film with the Gigantis title card or the entire dub itself not being included.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

UltramanGoji wrote:Criterion's already bested Toho in their standalone G54 release, four years after Toho themselves put it out on Blu-Ray.

Toho doesn't care about other countries having better releases, just other companies having any releases before their home market. The entire Showa series has been available on Blu-Ray in Japan for years. The average Japanese consumer is likely not gonna bother importing an expensive box set. Toho likely knows that cinephiles and hardcore fans in Japan are gonna do it anyway, no sense in crippling the Western market over these concerns.
Didn't say better version. I'm saying a version of it period as again most Japanese studios. Toho included don't like to let certain things be released out of Japan completely and especially early as it would deter people from buying them in Japan. It's probably the reason why we aren't getting the color version of Ultra Q from Millcreek. And it's definitely the reason why the 4k version of Shin was Japan exclusive because 4k is region free. And we share the same bluray region as Japan.

Now would I love it to be included even if it's just the English dub with a commentary? Oh heck Yeah! Do I think they would be able to get the 4k remaster from toho? No, not this soon at least.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

UltramanGoji wrote:
MM Raids Again wrote:I have to say, this could be EXTREMELY interesting to see how it plays out. Will it be ALL of the Showa films...? Could they have done the impossible and roped all the different current rights holders together and acquired the rights from them? Including Gigan, Hedorah and Sea Monster from Kraken and KKvG from Universal? It'd be amazing. I'm doubting, but absolutely amazing. Price tag seems pretty reasonable as well.
Well, we know that Janus/Criterion at least have Hedorah and Gigan since they're being advertised for screenings. Sea Monster is a wild card right now, but safe to assume it's in their grasps. After that, pretty much every other Showa film is (to shorthand a bit) owned by them now except KKVG which would be the only one left. I don't think they'd release an incomplete box set.
MM Raids Again wrote: Now, for the flip side, and I imagine I'm in the minority here, but if they DON'T include dubs/international versions, count me out. Yeah, don't get me wrong. I understand the importance of the original subbed versions. But when I want to watch some dumb monster movie mayhem, I don't feel like READING Godzilla vs. Megalon or Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla. You don't need subs to "appreciate" the later Showa films, they're not some high level art, hell, none of the Godzilla films are.
I think it's pretty much guaranteed that we'll at least get any International dubs since they're meant to sync up specifically to the Japanese cuts. Though, that leaves the question of what happens to the films without any International dubs? There might be some restoration on those English versions, but the rumor mill says that Gigantis, for example, isn't coming. That could mean the version of the film with the Gigantis title card or the entire dub itself not being included.
Well, GRA sucks anyway, so I can live without that one lol

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MM Raids Again wrote: Then, also, this leads us to could they eventually be planning a Heisei era pack? Could Sony fold on the rights? Millennium after that? How expansive is Criterion's plans!? Will the Showa box contain FCTW, WOTG and Rodan? Who knows!? And before anyone says Heisei doesn't belong with Criterion, I'm, just gonna' remind everyone here this collection also features Michael Bay works.
I wouldn't expect this box set to include Rodan, WOTG, FCTW or any non-Godzilla Toho science fiction film. The box set is likely going to be purely Godzilla films with the others possibly receiving either a box set of their own or an Eclipse release.

I'm going to go ahead and say we probably shouldn't expect anything beyond the Golden Age/Showa-era for Toho releases. The Heisei films are not as important or significant enough to warrant a release. Yes, Armageddon is in the collection but a lot of films like that have been released under the label in the past but it's a totally different beast now, especially when it comes to film choices and the Heisei Godzilla films just do not fit that bill. If any company were to do them, it would be Arrow Video or Shout! Factory but definitely not Criterion.
G-MAN wrote: Didn't say better version. I'm saying a version of it period as again most Japanese studios. Toho included don't like to let certain things be released out of Japan completely and especially early as it would deter people from buying them in Japan. It's probably the reason why we aren't getting the color version of Ultra Q from Millcreek. And it's definitely the reason why the 4k version of Shin was Japan exclusive because 4k is region free. And we share the same bluray region as Japan.
And I already stated in my post that Japan has had Blu-Ray versions of these films for at least eleven years now. Those Blu-Ray releases did not stop Criterion from releasing G54 to Blu-Ray in 2012 and it makes no sense why they would stop this box set today.

The reason we aren't getting colorized Ultra Q from Mill Creek is because it's not being licensed at the moment, according to Keith Aiken on the Sci-Fi Japan forums. The 4K Shin release didn't come to America because the license holder over here (Funimation) doesn't do 4K releases.

If you're referring to the Criterion box set possibly having 4K remasters, that's most likely not happening and you would be correct in that Toho wouldn't allow that to happen before Japan gets their own 4K releases. They're likely 2K, not 4K.