Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by Godzillian »

Bigs news! Criterion has seemingly gotten a hold of the classic media Toho kaiju titles as well as Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, Destroy All Monsters, and Godzilla vs Megalon. They are available on the Starz streaming service!

Last edited by Arbok on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Post by Tamura »

This year or next year (can't remember which) would have been the 20th anniversary of the cancelled Criterion LD release of all the UPA Godzillas. It's great they finally have all of them again, along with these others. Some of these are dubbed, and War of the Gargantuas features the complete Hong Kong dub.
Last edited by Tamura on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:32 am, edited 6 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Stupid question, but, does this mean we'll see physical releases of these titles from Criterion?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Maritonic wrote:Stupid question, but, does this mean we'll see physical releases of these titles from Criterion?
was wondering the exact same thing, since the graphics show the Criterion label.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzillian wrote:Bigs news! Criterion has seemingly gotten a hold of the classic media Toho kaiju titles as well as Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, Destroy All Monsters, and Godzilla vs Megalon. They are available on the Starz streaming service!

Fuck, I have all of those, but the covers look really clean and nice in a very simplistic name.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

If they are released as blu-rays i'll be picking them all up except for Megalon and DAM. I have the classic media releases of both so unless Criterion makes them better quality and better special features i'll just stick with the tokyo shock blurays

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Criterion will absolutely have better special features. I'd gobble ANY of these up in a heartbeat.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I just want the Titan/Titra dubs of Son and Sea Monster. Luckily most the 70s films decided to forego a new dub and just released the international dubs more or less as is.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I don't get why Son of Godzilla is subbed. The pattern seems to be that each film is presented uncut and in a fairly raw incarnation of a Toho transfer created since 2008, and if Toho has a complete, dubbed print of it, its audio has been slapped on the transfer... except for SOG. I really do wonder why that is. MZ has the extended US dub featured in Toho's English print, so each dub audio is technically an international dub. No heavily altered American cuts are presented except for GKOTM, which Toho seems to regard as a separate film. MvsG, Ghidrah, MZ, and Revenge don't feature hitherto unknown international dubs, which makes me think they either never existed or Toho can't find them. I don't want to rule them out yet. I'd love to know who was responsible for syncing these dubs (Criterion? Toho? Someone Criterion or Toho outsourced the work to?), and why the Japanese-only titles have much sharper audio than usual.
Last edited by Tamura on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Please, please release a blu-ray of Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla , that's all I ask!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Godzillian wrote:If they are released as blu-rays i'll be picking them all up except for Megalon and DAM. I have the classic media releases of both so unless Criterion makes them better quality and better special features i'll just stick with the tokyo shock blurays
If these get physical releases, you will absolutely want to pick them up even if you already have DAM and Megalon on blu. Criterion goes out of their way to make sure they use the best possible video quality, and if it doesn't already exist then they create brand new transfers from the best possible source elements. Their G54/GKOTM transfers are shining examples of this, far and away better than Toho's own home video release.

A rumor floating around is that maybe, just maybe, Criterion/Janus could be using transfers from the "Godzilla 4K Project" but that is pure speculation.

It's also important to note that we shouldn't take what's offered on Starz as a preview of what they would release on DVD/Bluray. When Criterion first sub-licensed Gojira/GKOTM from CM in 2011, they streamed it on Hulu using the same 2006 transfers while they concurrently prepped their own for their 2012 release.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

goji1986 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:If they are released as blu-rays i'll be picking them all up except for Megalon and DAM. I have the classic media releases of both so unless Criterion makes them better quality and better special features i'll just stick with the tokyo shock blurays
If these get physical releases, you will absolutely want to pick them up even if you already have DAM and Megalon on blu. Criterion goes out of their way to make sure they use the best possible video quality, and if it doesn't already exist then they create brand new transfers from the best possible source elements. Their G54/GKOTM transfers are shining examples of this, far and away better than Toho's own home video release.

A rumor floating around is that maybe, just maybe, Criterion/Janus could be using transfers from the "Godzilla 4K Project" but that is pure speculation.

It's also important to note that we shouldn't take what's offered on Starz as a preview of what they would release on DVD/Bluray. When Criterion first sub-licensed Gojira/GKOTM from CM in 2011, they streamed it on Hulu using the same 2006 transfers while they concurrently prepped their own for their 2012 release.
I bet things will start to spice up once GKOTM comes out.

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

I'll wait for an actual announcement before I get my hopes up too much but I would definitely buy every single release without hesitation.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I just want the Titan/Titra dubs of Son and Sea Monster. Luckily most the 70s films decided to forego a new dub and just released the international dubs more or less as is.

I'd love to have those dubs as well as a much-needed HD version of Smog Monster with the original AIP dub. I'm pretty sure that Krakken is holding on to Ebirah and Smog Monster though.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm excited for potential physical releases of these, especially of the early 60's stuff (and Megalon!).

I totally expect them to be put into a box set à la Zatoichi. Don't think they'll wimp out on us with an Eclipse set. At least, I hope they won't.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

UltramanGoji wrote:Don't think they'll wimp out on us with an Eclipse set. At least, I hope they won't.
"Don't wuss out, man!" (From Shout Factory's awful subtitles for Gamera vs. Gyaos)

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I'd love these as Criterion blu-rays. Criterion Gojira is fantastic.

Grimlock#1
Monsterland Worker

Post by Grimlock#1 »

I would deff buy all of these titles in a heartbeat if they're physically released with special features. When I first saw these, I thought they were jokes; Criterion releasing Godzilla vs. Megalon was the reason, plus the covers looked so damn random. It was like someone took a random still or production photo from the movie and slapped Criterion DVD text onto it.
Last edited by Grimlock#1 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.
"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I saw MOTHRA vs. GODZILLA on STARZ ENCORE tonight, and the subtitle script is way better than Classic Media's! So can't wait for these releases.
Last edited by GodzillaBurgh on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Grimlock#1 wrote:I would deff buy all of these titles in a heartbeat if they're physically released with special features. When I first saw these, I thought they were jokes; Criterion releasing Godzilla vs. Megalon was the reason, plus the covers looked so damn random. It was like someone took a random still or production photo from the movie and slapped Criterion DVD text onto it.
Criterion is known for releasing 'prestigious' movies which often leads to snooty ideas about them ('they wouldn't release this or that film') but they've done all kinds of weird stuff. Godzilla, at least Showa Godzilla, would definitely fill a niche they've cut out for themselves in recent years when approaching classic Japanese film series (the Samurai Trilogy, Yojimbo/Sanjuro, Lady Snowblood, Lone Wolf & Cub, Zatoichi). If a proper set did happen every Godzilla fan would owe it to themselves to pick it up, not only would the films look and sound phenomenal, the simple fact that Godzilla got the seal of approval from Criterion would be a big f*cking deal.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

For those who don't have STARZ, is there any chance that someone could show a side-by-side comparison of Criterion's subtitles to Classic Media's? I'm very curious of the difference.....
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III