Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Postby Godzillian » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:20 am

Bigs news! Criterion has seemingly gotten a hold of the classic media Toho kaiju titles as well as Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, Destroy All Monsters, and Godzilla vs Megalon. They are available on the Starz streaming service!
Image
Image
Image

Image
Last edited by Arbok on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2258
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby Tamura » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:26 am

This year or next year (can't remember which) would have been the 20th anniversary of the cancelled Criterion LD release of all the UPA Godzillas. It's great they finally have all of them again, along with these others. Some of these are dubbed, and War of the Gargantuas features the complete Hong Kong dub.
Last edited by Tamura on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
Image

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6056
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby Maritonic » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:56 am

Stupid question, but, does this mean we'll see physical releases of these titles from Criterion?
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
G1985
G-Grasper
Posts: 1355
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:10 am

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby G1985 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:15 am

Maritonic wrote:Stupid question, but, does this mean we'll see physical releases of these titles from Criterion?

was wondering the exact same thing, since the graphics show the Criterion label.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6365
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:16 am

Godzillian wrote:Bigs news! Criterion has seemingly gotten a hold of the classic media Toho kaiju titles as well as Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, Destroy All Monsters, and Godzilla vs Megalon. They are available on the Starz streaming service!
Image
Image
Image

Image

skreeonk, I have all of those, but the covers look really clean and nice in a very simplistic name.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby Godzillian » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:20 am

If they are released as blu-rays i'll be picking them all up except for Megalon and DAM. I have the classic media releases of both so unless Criterion makes them better quality and better special features i'll just stick with the tokyo shock blurays
Image

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6056
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby Maritonic » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:33 am

Criterion will absolutely have better special features. I'd gobble ANY of these up in a heartbeat.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer
Posts: 9374
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:34 am

I just want the Titan/Titra dubs of Son and Sea Monster. Luckily most the 70s films decided to forego a new dub and just released the international dubs more or less as is.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image

User avatar
Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2258
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby Tamura » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 am

I don't get why Son of Godzilla is subbed. The pattern seems to be that each film is presented uncut and in a fairly raw incarnation of a Toho transfer created since 2008, and if Toho has a complete, dubbed print of it, its audio has been slapped on the transfer... except for SOG. I really do wonder why that is. MZ has the extended US dub featured in Toho's English print, so each dub audio is technically an international dub. No heavily altered American cuts are presented except for GKOTM, which Toho seems to regard as a separate film. MvsG, Ghidrah, MZ, and Revenge don't feature hitherto unknown international dubs, which makes me think they either never existed or Toho can't find them. I don't want to rule them out yet. I'd love to know who was responsible for syncing these dubs (Criterion? Toho? Someone Criterion or Toho outsourced the work to?), and why the Japanese-only titles have much sharper audio than usual.
Last edited by Tamura on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5431
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:06 pm

Please, please release a blu-ray of Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla , that's all I ask!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

goji1986
Interpol Agent
Posts: 712
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby goji1986 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Godzillian wrote:If they are released as blu-rays i'll be picking them all up except for Megalon and DAM. I have the classic media releases of both so unless Criterion makes them better quality and better special features i'll just stick with the tokyo shock blurays


If these get physical releases, you will absolutely want to pick them up even if you already have DAM and Megalon on blu. Criterion goes out of their way to make sure they use the best possible video quality, and if it doesn't already exist then they create brand new transfers from the best possible source elements. Their G54/GKOTM transfers are shining examples of this, far and away better than Toho's own home video release.

A rumor floating around is that maybe, just maybe, Criterion/Janus could be using transfers from the "Godzilla 4K Project" but that is pure speculation.

It's also important to note that we shouldn't take what's offered on Starz as a preview of what they would release on DVD/Bluray. When Criterion first sub-licensed Gojira/GKOTM from CM in 2011, they streamed it on Hulu using the same 2006 transfers while they concurrently prepped their own for their 2012 release.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction in progress!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5541
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby LegendZilla » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:01 pm

goji1986 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:If they are released as blu-rays i'll be picking them all up except for Megalon and DAM. I have the classic media releases of both so unless Criterion makes them better quality and better special features i'll just stick with the tokyo shock blurays


If these get physical releases, you will absolutely want to pick them up even if you already have DAM and Megalon on blu. Criterion goes out of their way to make sure they use the best possible video quality, and if it doesn't already exist then they create brand new transfers from the best possible source elements. Their G54/GKOTM transfers are shining examples of this, far and away better than Toho's own home video release.

A rumor floating around is that maybe, just maybe, Criterion/Janus could be using transfers from the "Godzilla 4K Project" but that is pure speculation.

It's also important to note that we shouldn't take what's offered on Starz as a preview of what they would release on DVD/Bluray. When Criterion first sub-licensed Gojira/GKOTM from CM in 2011, they streamed it on Hulu using the same 2006 transfers while they concurrently prepped their own for their 2012 release.


I bet things will start to spice up once GKOTM comes out.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Crazy Jim Films
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby Crazy Jim Films » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:03 pm

I'll wait for an actual announcement before I get my hopes up too much but I would definitely buy every single release without hesitation.

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I just want the Titan/Titra dubs of Son and Sea Monster. Luckily most the 70s films decided to forego a new dub and just released the international dubs more or less as is.


I'd love to have those dubs as well as a much-needed HD version of Smog Monster with the original AIP dub. I'm pretty sure that Krakken is holding on to Ebirah and Smog Monster though.
Check out the trailer for my debut feature film, "The Angry World of Brian Webster".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaRxruc2oo&t=17s
https://www.facebook.com/angryworld2014

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14042
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:58 pm

I'm excited for potential physical releases of these, especially of the early 60's stuff (and Megalon!).

I totally expect them to be put into a box set à la Zatoichi. Don't think they'll wimp out on us with an Eclipse set. At least, I hope they won't.
Image

User avatar
Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2258
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby Tamura » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:00 am

UltramanGoji wrote:Don't think they'll wimp out on us with an Eclipse set. At least, I hope they won't.


"Don't wuss out, man!" (From Shout Factory's awful subtitles for Gamera vs. Gyaos)
Image

User avatar
SG-17
Interpol Agent
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby SG-17 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:05 am

I'd love these as Criterion blu-rays. Criterion Gojira is fantastic.

User avatar
Grimlock#1
Samurai
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:15 pm
Location: On my computer, of course
Contact:

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby Grimlock#1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:41 pm

I would deff buy all of these titles in a heartbeat if they're physically released with special features. When I first saw these, I thought they were jokes; Criterion releasing Godzilla vs. Megalon was the reason, plus the covers looked so damn random. It was like someone took a random still or production photo from the movie and slapped Criterion DVD text onto it.
Last edited by Grimlock#1 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"

Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.


"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

User avatar
GodzillaBurgh
Interpol Agent
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:28 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby GodzillaBurgh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:01 pm

I saw MOTHRA vs. GODZILLA on STARZ ENCORE tonight, and the subtitle script is way better than Classic Media's! So can't wait for these releases.
Last edited by GodzillaBurgh on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Image

User avatar
tbeasley
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:28 pm
Location: the tbunker

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby tbeasley » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Grimlock#1 wrote:I would deff buy all of these titles in a heartbeat if they're physically released with special features. When I first saw these, I thought they were jokes; Criterion releasing Godzilla vs. Megalon was the reason, plus the covers looked so damn random. It was like someone took a random still or production photo from the movie and slapped Criterion DVD text onto it.


Criterion is known for releasing 'prestigious' movies which often leads to snooty ideas about them ('they wouldn't release this or that film') but they've done all kinds of weird stuff. Godzilla, at least Showa Godzilla, would definitely fill a niche they've cut out for themselves in recent years when approaching classic Japanese film series (the Samurai Trilogy, Yojimbo/Sanjuro, Lady Snowblood, Lone Wolf & Cub, Zatoichi). If a proper set did happen every Godzilla fan would owe it to themselves to pick it up, not only would the films look and sound phenomenal, the simple fact that Godzilla got the seal of approval from Criterion would be a big f*cking deal.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.

User avatar
godzilla98rules
Futurian
Posts: 1946
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Postby godzilla98rules » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:33 am

For those who don't have STARZ, is there any chance that someone could show a side-by-side comparison of Criterion's subtitles to Classic Media's? I'm very curious of the difference.....
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4HAZwFtUEJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III


Return to “Toho Media”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests