Godzilla 3D Blu-ray

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla 3D Blu-ray

Post by GoWhaleTours »

RandomDeinonychus wrote:
gvamp wrote:If you have a 4K TV I would highly recommend grabbing a 4K HDR player assuming your TV supports HDR. HDR is a vast improvement for movies which IMO is what makes 4K great. So far the best disc I've watched is Aquaman the colors on that are amazing quite possibly the best disc I've watched yet. I do own Blade Runner 2049 which is supposed to be the best movie to watch in 4K. I haven't watched it yet due to wanting to get a proper home theater set up (4K TV with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos) but I may just break down and watch it soon any way.

That being said I really hope WB does a 4K release of Godzilla, it'd probably benefit from 4K HDR.
Pretty sure my TV is just a regular HDTV, since the term 4K wasn't even being tossed around when I met my wife in 2014 and it's her TV. So that's another reason to be reluctant, since I would have to buy a new player and a new TV to get the most out of it. I'm going to wait and see if it actually becomes worth it, since I'm still making the switch from DVD to Blu-ray for most of my collection.

As for Bladerunner 2049, I'm sure it looks great in 4K but good lord that was a crappy movie. I still don't get why so many people loved it, but to each their own.

I do hope we get a new transfer of 2014 eventually. Maybe when King of the Monsters hits disc.
What don’t you like about 2049?
GO GO GOJI KUN

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

GoWhaleTours wrote:What don’t you like about 2049?
It's tempting to just say Jared Leto, but he was only part of what I hated. It also had some serious issues with women and the story was basically pointless, while it frustratingly hinted at a much better story on the margins with the replicant revolutionaries.
gvamp wrote:If we don't get a 4K Godzilla 14 this year I'm sure we'll get one next year to hype up Godzilla vs Kong.
I would guess that we will either get it then or after GvsK hits disc, so they can release either a trilogy set or a Monsterverse set.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Does the Japanese Blu-Ray have better quality than the US Blu-Ray?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

DoctorWarpdrive
Samurai

Post by DoctorWarpdrive »

Sorry to bring this thread up again but it's related to the topic of the film's brightness issues. So just a little bit ago I stumbled up something really peculiar. Someone posted an image from a forum post(that in turn sourced it from tumblr) purporting to show the difference between a "digital bluray" version of 2014 compared to the "actual" version. This forum post was made on August 25, 2014, shortly before the film actually officially released on BluRay(though it does seem like some people managed to get their hands on the BluRay early as I found a few tweets about pirated copies from just a few days before this post)

https://www.godzilla-movies.com/topic/37636

I'll just copy the post here for reference purposes. I went ahead and put the images in a spoiler to shorten my post:
These images where posted on Tumblr. (It's the real bluray release v.s the rip everyone probably has seen.)

TOP: DIGITAL BLU RIP.

BOTTOM: ACTUAL BLU RAY VERSION.
Spoiler:

Now, as you can probably see, the bottom image in each of the comparisons is way brighter than the top, which looks how the BluRay actually looks. But it doesn't seem to simply be a manually brightened image, or if it is it was done carefully because it doesn't look washed out at all. And I've compared it with the 3D BluRay brightness from your video and it's brighter and clearer than that one is.

Does anyone have any idea where these crystal-clear images could be from? I've been unsuccessful in finding the tumblr post these are originally sourced from, if it even still exists.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

DoctorWarpdrive wrote:Sorry to bring this thread up again but it's related to the topic of the film's brightness issues. So just a little bit ago I stumbled up something really peculiar. Someone posted an image from a forum post(that in turn sourced it from tumblr) purporting to show the difference between a "digital bluray" version of 2014 compared to the "actual" version. This forum post was made on August 25, 2014, shortly before the film actually officially released on BluRay

[snip]

Does anyone have any idea where these crystal-clear images could be from? I've been unsuccessful in finding the tumblr post these are originally sourced from, if it even still exists.
I have no idea, but I'm hoping we will get a 4K release of the 2014 film alongside the KOTM 4K release in August, and that it will be remastered in some kind of HDR to address the contrast issues.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Obviously I can't say for sure where those images came from, but there is a rare MKV encode out there taken from an Italian-dubbed DCP that's brighter than the 3D Blu-ray. It's compressed to 5GB, so there's a good deal of fine detail lost, but the brightness is vastly improved. I can't compare these stills to that file now as I'm at work, but they might be from a similar source.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Obviously I can't say for sure where those images came from, but there is a rare MKV encode out there taken from an Italian-dubbed DCP that's brighter than the 3D Blu-ray. It's compressed to 5GB, so there's a good deal of fine detail lost, but the brightness is vastly improved. I can't compare these stills to that file now as I'm at work, but they might be from a similar source.
Do you have a link?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

DoctorWarpdrive
Samurai

Post by DoctorWarpdrive »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Obviously I can't say for sure where those images came from, but there is a rare MKV encode out there taken from an Italian-dubbed DCP that's brighter than the 3D Blu-ray. It's compressed to 5GB, so there's a good deal of fine detail lost, but the brightness is vastly improved. I can't compare these stills to that file now as I'm at work, but they might be from a similar source.
I know it's been a while but are you still able to make that comparison? Also any way to track that DCP?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Oh hey, yeah, I'm not sure where you can find that DCP rip but the filename is Godzilla.2014.1080p.mkv and the size is 5.08GB.

As for the comparison, I just pulled up the first scene in that comparison and looked at the MKV, and neither picture seems to be taken from it. Looking at it now, I'm a bit more skeptical of its origin -- it has a similar muted look to the top photos (the Blu-ray) but it seems to have had the brightness boosted, which hurts the black levels a bit -- even the black before the WB logo is now just darkish gray.

I tried reverse image searching those screenshot comparisons to find the Tumblr post they referred to for more information, since those bottom screenshots are absolutely not from the "actual Blu-ray," but it looks like the only place they can be found now is in that forum thread.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I'm not sure where you can find that DCP rip but the filename is Godzilla.2014.1080p.mkv and the size is 5.08GB.
I use MKV, and that filesize jumps out at me. At 5.0GB, that seems awfully small for a 1080p rip, unless the file only contains the fight scenes or the MKV rip is very compressed.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It is very compressed.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon