How will you organize your Godzilla movies?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Re: How will you organize your Godzilla movies?

Post by Dyrakro »

First all Japanese Godzilla movies, behind Shin Gojira all American movies, followed by Gamera and all Kong movies (together with Kong: Skull Island) and behind those Yongary, Gorgo, The Host, basically all other kaiju related movies. All movies are in chronological order.

But all Ultraman related movies and series are in a special row. Still thinking about how to place them.

Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Post by Camdigidy »

For anyone still interested in my updated covers, I just uploaded them to my deviant art gallery. Alot of changes for these editions. I think these are my most legit looking covers. I'm most happy with these ones.

http://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/gallery/

I always love feedback!
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

Zarm wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I mix and match my Toho monster movies together with Godzilla, chronological order... as best as I can... *glares daggers at Rodan/War of the Gargantuas*
You think that's bad? What about half the Showa era in the Classic Media box set? ;)

I basically go with chronological order, based on the earliest movie in any given box set or two-pack. It's kind of mess. :(
Once upon a time I tried to arrange by genre, but that was utter madness--I often had to make up sub-genres to keep things organized.

Since that dark time, I took to arranging everything on my movie shelf in alphabetical order and then chronological order after that. For instance, Night of the Living Dead is immediately followed by Dawn of The Dead, Day of the Dead, and Land of the Dead. However, before I decided to sell it, my DVD of the 2004 remake of Dawn of The Dead was in the "D" section. I also arrange the Kong movies I have so far as King Kong (19933), King Kong Escapes, King Kong (1976), and King Kong (2005)--I treat KKE as a sequel to the original film, but I don't have a copy of Song of Kong or King Kong Lives yet and King Kong vs. Godzilla is obviously in the Godzilla section.

This arrangement means I am naturally even more annoyed by Sony's Godzilla vs. Destoroyah/Godzilla vs. Megaguirus Blu-ray set since it means forces that section of my Godzilla discs to go "1994,1995, 2000, 1998, 1999, 2001" and that is so annoying.

I don't include Rodan and Mothra with the Godzilla discs, even though I often make people watch them when introducing them to the Godzilla series. However, I also arrange the Marvel movies I have so far (which is, like, maybe half of the available ones at this point) by their individual series rather than in one section, arranged by order of release.

I don't have the box set of Classic Media Godzilla discs, since I picked them all up individually. Usually, though, when I have a box set, I try to arrange it by the first movie in the set--hence why this collection is under "B" for The Big Bird Cage--but sometimes that just isn't possible so I give in and arrange it by collection title. So the Andy Sidaris Collection is under "G" for the collection title: "Girls, Guns, and G-Strings." I finally got this set for Christmas and I still haven't decided if it will go under "C" for the set's title or "T" for the first movie, Tarantula.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Camdigidy wrote:For anyone still interested in my updated covers, I just uploaded them to my deviant art gallery. Alot of changes for these editions. I think these are my most legit looking covers. I'm most happy with these ones.

I always love feedback!
They look amazing! I love the dubbed DVD covers you made as well.

What's the best paper to print these on? Anyone know?

Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Post by Camdigidy »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Camdigidy wrote:For anyone still interested in my updated covers, I just uploaded them to my deviant art gallery. Alot of changes for these editions. I think these are my most legit looking covers. I'm most happy with these ones.

I always love feedback!
They look amazing! I love the dubbed DVD covers you made as well.

What's the best paper to print these on? Anyone know?

Semi gloss looks good, but I just printed them out at Staples on ordinary paper and they look great.
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

As far as individual releases are concerned, I've put them all in chronological order, including both Japanese and American movies/shows.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

I'll admit, up 'til now, I've basically arranged them in release order as that was easy to follow & manage, but with Toho making films at the same time that Legendary's working on their series, that arrangement's probably no longer going to be as efficient.

Hmmm... maybe I'll do like I do with the rest of my movie collection and put G'14's sequels and spinoffs inbetween it and Shin?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I organize my Godzilla/kaiju/tokusatsu DVDs in chronological order. Then, when I collect the rare out of print DVDs, i put them in year of release. :)
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

My rule of thumb for these movies is I keep them in chronological order (sets of multiple movies are placed according to the earliest film in them), and divided into Godzilla and non-Godzilla movies. So, for instance, you start with the Godzilla series in order, including the American films, with the Destoroyah/Megaguirus set placed before the 1998 film. After that comes the non-Godzilla films, with the Rodan/WotG set coming first, then the Icons set, then the rest in chronological order.

As far as the LP franchise and Toho's projects, being a unique case of multiple "series" unfolding simultaneously, I'm thinking I'll approach those as I would sets of multiple films: The LP Godzilla film, Kong: Skull Island and the rest will come after Final Wars, followed by Shin, the anime film, etc.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

That's cool. BTW cool avatar.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Chronological order.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Mastergodzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mastergodzilla »

I always rearrange mine whenever I'm bored, but the 3 I do the most is chronologically, in order of when I got it, and Alphabetized. Have all kajiu related videos on my self.
:baragon: :destoroyah: :muto: :bagan: :g2k: :monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :tk:
Check out my YouTube Channel, GodzillaFan2004! Has everything Godzilla, from reviews of fan films to fan films themselves! Please subscribe!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1qg2 ... 4JEFNvBhCw

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

"How will" or how have? The former implies that no Godzilla DVDs/BDs exist, but that they're on the way. :lol:
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I think the wording might have to do with the fact that we're about to have two concurrent Godzilla series/franchises being produced at the same time, which raises the question of how one would organize them on a shelf.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Unfortunately they're all in boxes right now, as I've recently moved (and may be out of the country next year, so I don't want to get too set up at this point).

I think I'll ultimately go in order and according to the box design for uniformity though, whenever I next get media shelves set up. So all the Classic Media cases together, all the Blu-Rays, etc., even if it means the order of films jumps around a little. Probably with related Toho genre films at the end in chronological order (or as much as possible with some of the films sharing a case).

As for the concurrent series, thing, right now I'd just put the films in chronological order (Destroyah/Megaguirus > Godzilla '98 > Godzilla 2000, Godzilla 2014 > Shin Godzilla, etc.). Though as the Legendary universe gets more expansive, that may have to become its own cluster. Maybe '98 can hang out in front of it for a general foreign Godzilla section.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

By chronological order, its how I do it.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I organize my limited collection by chronological order. I have a lot on DVR that I can't organize, though.
Resized Image

NeoBlisseyX
Ronin

Post by NeoBlisseyX »

Currently, I have them alphabetical with all of my other movies, with multi-film sets (with the exception of Sony's Toho Godzilla Collection DVD set, which is with the T-titles) being placed based on the title of the first-listed film on the package.

For example, Sony's Icons of Sci-fi: The Toho Collection is placed under H for The H-Man, and CM's Rodan/War of the Gargantuas is placed under R for Rodan.
Last edited by NeoBlisseyX on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

In release date order.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I have the first 50 years spread across 4 thick Blu Ray multi-packs(Regular Blu Ray cases, but thicker and with many more disc trays)

Set 1 - King Kong 33, Godzilla 54-66 - 8 Films
Set 2 - Godzilla 67-75 - 8 Films
Set 3 - Godzilla 84-95 - 7 Films
Set 4 - Godzilla 98-04 - 7 Films

Then:
Shin Godzilla
Anime Trilogy(if its ever released)
Kong: Skull Island
Godzilla 14
Godzilla KOTM
Godzilla vs Kong

The MonsterVerse has films released well after Shin and well after the Anime Trilogy.....I'm not going to break the MV to splice in random one-off films. This way....you get the Japanese reboots first, then save the best for last and switch to the MonsterVerse at the end.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."