Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Post by o.supreme »

I was wondering if you could clarify on the "new dub" portion of the German BRD. Is that for all non Japanese audio tracks? Or just German? It wouold be interesting if it were eventually released in the U.S. with a different English Audio.

yes just because something is exclusive to Netflix, doesn't mean it will never have a physical media release. The Netflix Marvel series all were released, even their big hit Stranger Things has been released as well.

I do agree though, these films are not my favorites, but there is a hole in my collection without them. A single release with all 3 films, each on their own BRD would suffice.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

o.supreme wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:19 am I was wondering if you could clarify on the "new dub" portion of the German BRD. Is that for all non Japanese audio tracks? Or just German? It wouold be interesting if it were eventually released in the U.S. with a different English Audio.
The German blu-ray only has German and Japanese audio and the German dub is not the original Netflix German dub but a new dub. The Japanese audio should be the same.

I'm not sure but I think the U.S. doesn't have the same kind of "dubbing culture" that Germany has, so maybe people there would be more hesistant to just record a new dub if they can't use the original one. But then again, the German blu-rays are also brand new so maybe there's something in the works for the U.S. too..
And even if noone is planning to release the anime trilogy to the U.S. right now, the movies are not THAT old and there are other movies that went decades without being available anywhere before they came to home video. Don't lose hope yet :D
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

Ronin

Post by 128k »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:07 pm Pretty sure it's legit. It's not a purple DVD-R or anything and any bootlegs of the MB discs wouldn't be as professionally made. The low-res art is just something that happens with independent companies like this. I have an official Flight of the Conchords DVD with horrendously low-res disc art.
A happy ending to my question — I ordered the "Toho Pack" (Mysterians, Matango, Varan) directly from CinemaScape on Amazon and the disc art is exactly the same quality, in fact, everything about the discs is nearly identical to my Frankenstein Conquers the World. Thank you again for your insight!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Purzel2205 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:59 pm I'm not sure but I think the U.S. doesn't have the same kind of "dubbing culture" that Germany has, so maybe people there would be more hesistant to just record a new dub if they can't use the original one. But then again, the German blu-rays are also brand new so maybe there's something in the works for the U.S. too..
And even if noone is planning to release the anime trilogy to the U.S. right now, the movies are not THAT old and there are other movies that went decades without being available anywhere before they came to home video. Don't lose hope yet :D
Oh I'm not worried. They are not my favorite films, and I do have Netflix if I ever want to watch. It's just a matter of filling a hole in my physical media collection, even though I'll probably watch them rarely if ever. I just wasn't sure if you were referring to a new English dub, because yes that would be quite odd, since not much time has passed at all. It is true, English dubs rarely if ever are redone. There are some examples I can think of though...

Media Blasters commissioned a new english dub of The Mysterians when they released their DVD in 2006. I'm not sure if they felt the RKO audio was unusable, or too expensive to obtain, or if Toho was nto permitting it?

Notably Evangelion got a new english dub for it's release on Netflix. I think DBZ has a second english dub as well. I know Giant Robo has 2 English Dubs. Oddly, for the 1990 Guyver OVA, when license was obtained by Manga Ent. They didn't change the dub, but they modified the actors performances to make them sound more "robot -ike" when they were in Guyver mode...not sure why...

Also, most notably, as has been discussed on other threads, many of the classic Godzilla films from the 60's and early 70's received English dubs for Titan/Titra studios distributed by AIP. For decades fans thought these were the ONLY dubs that existed because Toho's own commissioned English dubs were never heard in the United States until 1972's Godzilla vs Gigan (On Monster Island released in 1977). Sadly now it appears to be the opposite whereas Toho is forcing the use of their English dubs (which are inferior), and seemingly trying to erase the AIP/Titra ones form existence. Fortunately, there have been quite a few hard working fan's here that are making sure that doesn't happen. Thus my signature.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Personally....I would like the entire first 50 years of Godzilla films to have newly commissioned dubs...just so that the "original cut" of EVERY film could have a dub of relatively "equal" and consistent quality.

No worrying about getting sub-par dubs, or some of the films being Sub only for the original versions and only dubbed in a "re-edited" US cut, etc etc

Take every original, uncut film, give it a nice new dub, and let that be the standing dub for posterity.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

None of the original films are going to get redubbed, dude. You need to end this crusade of yours.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I doubt we will ever see a redub of the original movies, it would take a tremendous sum to redub one era, let alone all three eras. What would the audience for this even be? Most G-Fans are going to stick with subs, the casual audience probably won't even notice the difference or care (And HBO max has all the Showa films subbed for that matter)

If you do it on the cheap there's no point to even doing it and going for high quality dubbing vs subs is just, ehh. When you look at the best dubs for the series, King of The Monsters, 2000, they all make changes to the editing of the movies and in the case of 2000 the film is helped a lot by it. All of it boils down to preference and that is not a good enough reason

Redubbing over 50 years worth of films would be the most bungled allocation of money possible, it would likely be as expensive, and time-consuming as remastering them all to 8K and unlike transfer quality it would mean nothing to the Japanese audience

The only Goji film where a redub could be justified is Godzilla Raids again, and that's only because of its state as Gigantis The Fire Monster. There's zero point to doing it to anything else
Last edited by ROMG4 on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

128k wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:30 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:07 pm Pretty sure it's legit. It's not a purple DVD-R or anything and any bootlegs of the MB discs wouldn't be as professionally made. The low-res art is just something that happens with independent companies like this. I have an official Flight of the Conchords DVD with horrendously low-res disc art.
A happy ending to my question — I ordered the "Toho Pack" (Mysterians, Matango, Varan) directly from CinemaScape on Amazon and the disc art is exactly the same quality, in fact, everything about the discs is nearly identical to my Frankenstein Conquers the World. Thank you again for your insight!
Did you get to watch all three versions of FCtW, i.e., the original Japanese version, the American version and the second Japanese version with the Oodako at the end? If so, what did you think of them and which one did you like best? I liked them all, but my favorite was the third one because it seemed more complete (and yes, I know the scene was a American-commissioned one that was added later).

Ronin

Post by 128k »

[/quote]Did you get to watch all three versions of FCtW, i.e., the original Japanese version, the American version and the second Japanese version with the Oodako at the end? If so, what did you think of them and which one did you like best? I liked them all, but my favorite was the third one because it seemed more complete (and yes, I know the scene was a American-commissioned one that was added later).
[/quote]

I have! It's easily one of my favorite Kaiju flicks, so I love all 3, but my personal favorite is the US cut/dub. I think it's just a fantastic dub and I like the volcano showdown. Strangely, the first version I saw prior to purchasing the discs was the Octo ending, so I had no idea it wasn't the "standard" cut. :Baragon:

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I never EXPECT it to happen, but I think it SHOULD happen.

Just like there will never be great new restorations and presentations of all of the various US versions/US alternate Dubs, yet everyone keeps hoping for it and making and sharing their illegal copies for a few hundred people to enjoy.

I'm not talking about what makes business sense or what WILL happen, I'm talking about what would be cool...and that would be a uniform presentation of every Godzilla movie, in their original form, dubbed with a sense of consistent quality. A number of the early films(everything prior to Astro Monster) only have Dubs of any kind that correlate to their 'alternate versions', and NO dub for their original cuts.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

128k wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:41 am
Did you get to watch all three versions of FCtW, i.e., the original Japanese version, the American version and the second Japanese version with the Oodako at the end? If so, what did you think of them and which one did you like best? I liked them all, but my favorite was the third one because it seemed more complete (and yes, I know the scene was a American-commissioned one that was added later).
[/quote]

I have! It's easily one of my favorite Kaiju flicks, so I love all 3, but my personal favorite is the US cut/dub. I think it's just a fantastic dub and I like the volcano showdown. Strangely, the first version I saw prior to purchasing the discs was the Octo ending, so I had no idea it wasn't the "standard" cut. :Baragon:
[/quote]

Frankenstein vs. Baragon (its English-language title in Japan, btw) is one of my three favorite non-Godzilla Toho films, too, along with its sequel (as least in the Japanese version) The War of the Gargantuas and King Kong Escapes.

I just thought of a good new catch-all term for these films. You've heard of the Space Opera Trilogy? Meet the "Small Kaiju Trilogy". This is because, compared to Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Anguirus, King Ghidorah, etc., the kaiju in all three of these films are all smaller in size than they are.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Ronin

Post by 128k »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:11 pm
128k wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:41 am
[/quote]I have! It's easily one of my favorite Kaiju flicks, so I love all 3, but my personal favorite is the US cut/dub. I think it's just a fantastic dub and I like the volcano showdown. Strangely, the first version I saw prior to purchasing the discs was the Octo ending, so I had no idea it wasn't the "standard" cut. :Baragon:
[/quote]Frankenstein vs. Baragon (its English-language title in Japan, btw) is one of my three favorite non-Godzilla Toho films, too, along with its sequel (as least in the Japanese version) The War of the Gargantuas and King Kong Escapes.

I just thought of a good new term for these films. You've heard of the Space Opera Trilogy? Meet the "Small Kaiju Trilogy". This is because, compared to Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Anguirus, King Ghidorah, etc., the kaiju in all three of these films are smaller in size than they are.
[/quote]

Sorry for breaking all the quotes, hahaha. New to this forum software — but yes I think that name works wonderfully. Baragon doesn't get enough respect. :Baragon:

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Chrispy_G wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:02 am Pretty sure it is safe to assume that Netflix probably has 0% intent to ever put the Anime Trilogy out on Blu Ray in the US?

I wasn't a big fan by any means...but I do own every Godzilla movie, that is kind of my thing. Good and bad I own them all. Maybe one day I'll change my mind on that and sell off all of the oldies, but I don't really see it happening.

Not getting the Anime Trilogy on BR would be a shame. You could do it as a single 2-3 disc release with all 3 included. It doesn't need to be anything special(G home market releases in the US rarely are)...the idea of owning EVERY Godzilla film on disc except for the anime trilogy just because Netflix owns it is quite frustrating. I know the "anime" stuff isn't really in the same realm as the live action films, but they were still Godzilla movies that were released. To try and group them with the cartoons or upcoming anime series as being 'separate' from the live action films feels a little...odd.
Well Netflix themselves probably aren't interested, but companies have put Netflix originals on disc before and that includes anime titles from what I recall. That said, we don't know the terms of Netflix's deal with Toho, including whether or not Netflix wants this to be a streaming exclusive or something. No reason to think it's true, but just saying we can't really assume either.

I too hope the anime trilogy (and the new anime series) are put on Blu-ray for the US.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Tohosaurus wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:46 pm
Chrispy_G wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:02 am Pretty sure it is safe to assume that Netflix probably has 0% intent to ever put the Anime Trilogy out on Blu Ray in the US?

I wasn't a big fan by any means...but I do own every Godzilla movie, that is kind of my thing. Good and bad I own them all. Maybe one day I'll change my mind on that and sell off all of the oldies, but I don't really see it happening.

Not getting the Anime Trilogy on BR would be a shame. You could do it as a single 2-3 disc release with all 3 included. It doesn't need to be anything special(G home market releases in the US rarely are)...the idea of owning EVERY Godzilla film on disc except for the anime trilogy just because Netflix owns it is quite frustrating. I know the "anime" stuff isn't really in the same realm as the live action films, but they were still Godzilla movies that were released. To try and group them with the cartoons or upcoming anime series as being 'separate' from the live action films feels a little...odd.
Well Netflix themselves probably aren't interested, but companies have put Netflix originals on disc before and that includes anime titles from what I recall. That said, we don't know the terms of Netflix's deal with Toho, including whether or not Netflix wants this to be a streaming exclusive or something. No reason to think it's true, but just saying we can't really assume either.

I too hope the anime trilogy (and the new anime series) are put on Blu-ray for the US.
I actually like the anime trilogy but I too have every Godzilla film on BluRay and I want the trilogy to complete that set. I really hope the new show gets a Blu Ray release here too but the trilogy feels more essential to have on Blu Ray because they were theatrical releases in Japan.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

You're playing that deliberately obtuse card of yours again, Chrispy.
Chrispy_G wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:53 pm Just like there will never be great new restorations and presentations of all of the various US versions/US alternate Dubs, yet everyone keeps hoping for it and making and sharing their illegal copies for a few hundred people to enjoy.
I guess you missed the part when Criterion, the most revered home video company in the world, wasn't even able to do this, so clearly, nobody is "expecting" this to ever happen anymore. Please try to keep up.

And yeah, fans are taking things into their own hands and restoring them themselves since Toho has apparently put the same self imposed ban on them as they have for things like Half Human and Prophecies of Nostradamus, but it's absolutely hilarious that you felt the need to point out that it's "ILLEGAL". I guess they should all be arrested and treated like they've never paid their taxes, right?
I'm not talking about what makes business sense or what WILL happen, I'm talking about what would be cool...and that would be a uniform presentation of every Godzilla movie, in their original form, dubbed with a sense of consistent quality. A number of the early films(everything prior to Astro Monster) only have Dubs of any kind that correlate to their 'alternate versions', and NO dub for their original cuts.
Right, and you've been talking about how "cool" this would be for the better half of five years. If it "doesn't make any business sense", then why do you bring it up any chance you get as if it's a realistic talking point? Remember when I once called you a broken record for this exact problem? Incredibly, you're (somehow) still doing it.

You desperately need to gain some perspective on this entire subject, because all I see is the same no substance, lip-flapping that I've always seen coming from your direction.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Goji wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:42 am You're playing that deliberately obtuse card of yours again, Chrispy.
Chrispy_G wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:53 pm Just like there will never be great new restorations and presentations of all of the various US versions/US alternate Dubs, yet everyone keeps hoping for it and making and sharing their illegal copies for a few hundred people to enjoy.
I guess you missed the part when Criterion, the most revered home video company in the world, wasn't even able to do this, so clearly, nobody is "expecting" this to ever happen anymore. Please try to keep up.

And yeah, fans are taking things into their own hands and restoring them themselves since Toho has apparently put the same self imposed ban on them as they have for things like Half Human and Prophecies of Nostradamus, but it's absolutely hilarious that you felt the need to point out that it's "ILLEGAL". I guess they should all be arrested and treated like they've never paid their taxes, right?
Right, and you've been talking about how "cool" this would be for the better half of five years. If it "doesn't make any business sense", then why do you bring it up any chance you get as if it's a realistic talking point? Remember when I once called you a broken record for this exact problem? Incredibly, you're (somehow) still doing it.

You desperately need to gain some perspective on this entire subject, because all I see is the same no substance, lip-flapping that I've always seen coming from your direction.
I don't get how you don't have him blocked by now. You've been complaining about him for years
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

MegaGoji
Ronin

Other Toho kaiju movies that could be on blu-ray

Post by MegaGoji »

What other Toho kaiju movie would you like to see on Blu-Ray?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Other Toho kaiju movies that could be on blu-ray

Post by Terasawa »

Well, most of these are already out in Japan.

The ones that aren't, but which have good to great HD transfers, are The Three Treasures, The Last War, Dogora, and Space Amoeba; only two of those are listed in your poll, and of those, Space Amoeba is the better-looking transfer and the film I prefer, so that'd get my vote in this poll.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Other Toho kaiju movies that could be on blu-ray

Post by Vakanai »

MegaGoji wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:05 pm What other Toho kaiju movie would you like to see on Blu-Ray?
I'd like to add Rodan, Varan, Frankenstein Conquers the World/vs Baragon, and War of the Gargantuas to my blu collection.
Atragon and Space Amoeba would be nice.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

A Godzilla Singular Point Blu-Ray will be released.
It's 150 dollars...
https://godzilla.store/shop/g/gGSB0010093/

It'll come out in August. That's overpriced, but not so much for Japanese Blu-Rays. It comes with a beautiful fold out curtain and a Godzilla Ultima Heat Ray figure. Mixed feelings on this: I appreciate a physical release like this and it as a collectible, versus no release at all. Since the series is "free" on Netflix it doesn't feel like them purposely gatekeeping expensive blu-rays for no reason.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.