Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Re: Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by Joseph Goodman »

They ARE being broadcast in true 4k, on the 4K Japanese Movie+Historical Drama channel, in addition to the regular HD broadcasts on Nihon-Eiga.
Last edited by Joseph Goodman on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

bl4ck
Ronin

Post by bl4ck »

Ahh so my mistake thank you for info.

bl4ck
Ronin

Post by bl4ck »

Guys check this https://twitter com/miraiyuki224

https://twitter com/hashtag/%E3%82%B4%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A94K?src=hashtag_click
Last edited by bl4ck on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

bl4ck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:09 pm Guys check this https://twitter com/miraiyuki224

Dude, why do you always post broken links?

Fixed.

https://twitter.com/miraiyuki224

https://twitter.com/hashtag/%E3%82%B4%E ... htag_click

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:33 pm
bl4ck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:09 pm Guys check this https://twitter com/miraiyuki224

Dude, why do you always post broken links?

Fixed.

https://twitter.com/miraiyuki224

https://twitter.com/hashtag/%E3%82%B4%E ... htag_click
Pretty sure he does it because he's in that blue "new users" group where he's not able to post links otherwise
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Oh, didn’t know that was a thing. My bad.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Anybody got any screencaps of some sort from the 4K broadcasts?
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

I haven't seen any true direct screencaps show up on the usual Japanese twitter accounts, just cellphone pics of their screens.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Curses. I'm dying to know if they got rid of the piss yellow tinting and those awful eyesores of the white glue marks at the bottom of each frame.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

GodzillaBurgh wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:24 am Curses. I'm dying to know if they got rid of the piss yellow tinting and those awful eyesores of the white glue marks at the bottom of each frame.
They have only aired G54 so far. Next is KKvsG, which was done in 2016.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I'm kinda out of the loop on Toho's whole 4k restoration plan, I only know the very basics. Is there a place I can read a synopsis without going through all the pages of the thread? Are they planning on restoring all of the showa era, or only some? Have they indicated that these will ever be released beyond television showings?
He Jock it Made of Steel

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:16 am I'm kinda out of the loop on Toho's whole 4k restoration plan, I only know the very basics. Is there a place I can read a synopsis without going through all the pages of the thread? Are they planning on restoring all of the showa era, or only some? Have they indicated that these will ever be released beyond television showings?
So far it’s 8 films, the most recent being Biollante, and out of that 2 of them have already seen a 4K restoration but both have been re-graded and are being broadcast in native 4K.

For more of the nitty gritty, yes, you’re gonna have to go back a few pages and read.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

i mean my question is, how good are the 90s films gonna improve from the 4k? Arent they inherntly super blurry? Vs the showa stuff?

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

airforce111 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:16 am i mean my question is, how good are the 90s films gonna improve from the 4k? Arent they inherntly super blurry? Vs the showa stuff?

IF they’re using the original camera negative? A LOT.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

airforce111 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:16 am i mean my question is, how good are the 90s films gonna improve from the 4k? Arent they inherntly super blurry? Vs the showa stuff?
The 90s films are "inherently super blurry" vs the Showa films?

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

G1985 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:36 pm
The 90s films are "inherently super blurry" vs the Showa films?
well instead of re-asking what I asked, why don't you explain what your intent is when you re-iterate what I wrote? maybe we can get somewhere

Added in 36 seconds:
goji1986 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:25 pm

IF they’re using the original camera negative? A LOT.
very interesting indeed, i thought the sony godzilla vs kinghidorah 91 was the best we would get

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

G1985 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:36 pmThe 90s films are "inherently super blurry" vs the Showa films?

He's probably referring to the decent amount of photography with diffusion filters on the lens in these films, plus the amount of miniature work shot with the sets fogged/smoked up to replicate atmospheric density.

airforce111 wrote:sony godzilla vs kinghidorah 91 was the best we would get

Even the detail in that disc increases dramatically when it switches from Toho's transfer to Sony's transfer (Terasawa has posted comparisons before), so yeah, it could be improved.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Heisei Era should receive a significant boost. They mostly predate the digital age. So...shot on film, finished on film, VERY rare occurrences of any CGI shots or shots that would have ever been ingested into a computer for any alteration. So...those 35mm negatives should get dramatic boosts in quality from a proper 4K restoration and transfer.

Millennium era becomes trickier. I think everything prior to Final Wars was shot on film. The Millennium films certainly had many more CGI/computer ingested shots...for the 1999-2003 era, and in Japan....you can wager than any shot ingested into a computer for VFX work or digital color grading would receive an irreversible downtick in quality that isn't regained even if that shot is then reprinted back onto film for the final negative. These films will still get benefits from any 4K/HDR restoration and transfer....but only so much for any digitally ingested/altered shots.

Anything that was shot on film and never ingested/altered digitally will get all of the benefits that any 35mm image would get from a 4K restoration/transfer.

So just like when you watch something like Blade or Matrix in 4K...all '35mm only' shots upgrade gorgeously to 4K, while the various VFX shots all have a bit of a digital trademark of being borderline "finished in HD resolution" images being upscaled to 4K. A lot of it still looks solid and better than any Blu Ray, but it doesn't rise to the level of the shots that were never touched by a computer.

Final Wars will come out the worst for wear, as it was shot digitally...so EVERY shot will be inherently confined to the limitations of whatever digital camera that was used at the time. Probably no more than 2K resolution, and likely suffering in every objectively measurable category that a filmed image can be weighed by(dynamic range, color, black levels, digital noise, etc etc) as EVERY aspect of the captured image is always improving with digital filming, and it goes far beyond the raw resolution of the image being shot.

Final Wars will make for a pretty limited 4K upscale...think The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones in 4K vs how something like Batman Begins looks on 4K. Ep I and II don't look AWFUL, and they certainly surpass the Blu Rays...just sort of stuck in a "it can only be upscaled to 4K so effectively" kind of rut...and not on ANY list of the best 4K upgrades.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Great news! I might actually consider buying the 4K release, even if I don't have the proper player.

EDIT: Post #3300! :)
Last edited by G-Matt on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You