Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
G-Matt
Futurian

Re: Godzilla Films getting 4K Restoration (Toho)

Post by G-Matt »

Okay then! I might actually consider getting that set, if not only for the Champion Festival edits and Zone Fighter.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Why would a list of the include movies be considered a "spoiler"? :eh:
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Goji wrote:Why would a list of the include movies be considered a "spoiler"? :eh:
If it's hidden, it takes up less room, and doesn't make the post as long.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Well, yeah, but it's something that people would want to see.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

So virtually every film with a connection to the Godzilla series (however tenuous) and every theatrical version of these films ever released in Japan from 1954-2004. 50 years, 51 films. Have the Champion festival versions or the US-versions of Godzilla KOTM and G2K ever been officially released in Japan before?

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Great Hierophant wrote:So virtually every film with a connection to the Godzilla series (however tenuous) and every theatrical version of these films ever released in Japan from 1954-2004. 50 years, 51 films. Have the Champion festival versions or the US-versions of Godzilla KOTM and G2K ever been officially released in Japan before?
KOTM was included in the Final Box release back in 2004. The Champion Festival edits have been included in a few of the Japanese Blu-rays, if I'm right.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I assume King Kong Escapes wasn't included due to rights issues with Kong? Gorosaurus does provide a connection to the Godzilla series, so there would be a reason to include it.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't think there's a rights issue, but I could be wrong. It might be another KKVG situation where Universal/Rankin-Bass owns the US rights and Toho owns the Japanese ones.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The Champion edits were also made available in a LaserDisc boxset (only in Japan, of course).

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

GalacticPetey wrote:I assume King Kong Escapes wasn't included due to rights issues with Kong? Gorosaurus does provide a connection to the Godzilla series, so there would be a reason to include it.
UltramanGoji wrote:I don't think there's a rights issue, but I could be wrong. It might be another KKVG situation where Universal/Rankin-Bass owns the US rights and Toho owns the Japanese ones.
uh, hello?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ah yes, excuse me for ignoring the language that I have absolutely no idea how to read.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

UltramanGoji wrote:Ah yes, excuse me for ignoring the language that I have absolutely no idea how to read.
You didn't even have to watch the video. It's literally RIGHT THERE in omgitsgodzilla's painstaking deciphering of the sacred moon runes.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Space Hunter M wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Ah yes, excuse me for ignoring the language that I have absolutely no idea how to read.
You didn't even have to watch the video. It's literally RIGHT THERE in omgitsgodzilla's painstaking deciphering of the sacred moon runes.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:So the list looks like:
Spoiler:
Godzilla (1954)
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster
Invasion of Astro-Monster
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla Raids Again
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Atragon
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Rodan
Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Son of Godzilla
Mothra
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
The Mysterians
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Frankenstein Conquers the World
All Monsters Attack
War of the Gargantuas
The Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Rebirth of Mothra
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1993)
GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
Godzilla 2000: Millennium
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
Mothra vs. Godzilla (Toho Champion Festival version)
Space Amoeba
Godzilla Final Wars
Zone Fighter
Great Monster War: King Ghidorah vs. Godzilla (Invasion of Astro-Monster Toho Champion Festival version)
Rebirth of Mothra 2
Godzilla 2000 (US Version)
King Kong vs. Godzilla (Toho Champion Festival version)
King Kong Escapes
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (Toho Champion Festival version)
Varan the Unbelievable
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: The Greatest Battle on Earth (Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster Toho Champion Festival version)
Godzilla Great Blitz Strategy (Destroy All Monsters Toho Champion Festival Version)
Rebirth of Mothra 3
Son of Godzilla (Toho Champion Festival version)
So the set includes the entire Japanese Godzilla series, Atragon, Rodan, Mothra, The Mysterians, Frankenstein Conquers the World, War of the Gargantuas, the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy, Space Amoeba, Zone Fighter and Varan.

On top of that, they also include the US versions of GKotM and Godzilla 2000 and - most interestingly - the edited Toho Champion Festival versions of King Kong vs. Godzilla; Mothra vs. Godzilla; Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster; Ebirah, Horror of the Deep; Son of Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters.

I remember lusting after the Final Box, but this set is pretty much a dream come true, save for the fact that it doesn't seem to be on Blu-ray.
This was the post that confused me. KKE wasn't listed outside the spoiler like he others films were. Threw me off. My mistake.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ah, didn't even see that post. Don't know how I could've missed it.

Sorry for the animosity. Entirely my fault.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

How is that DVD box that cheap? Holy crap.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It's that cheap because DVD is a 20-year-old format and costs hardly anything to produce nowadays.

And my mistake with KKE; I've gone back and fixed it.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I'm confused why they aren't doing blu ray sets. Maybe when Shin-Gojira is released on BD?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Cookson wrote:How is that DVD box that cheap? Holy crap.
Someone can correct me, but I think they are releasing each disc individually, each one priced at ~$20, or ~$10 during some promotional period.

It looks like Godzilla (1954) is available for preorder on amazon.co.jp.

Here's another link that shows some other amazon listings.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

It looks like they are offering Godzilla (1954) at the cheap price of under 1,000 Yen. This may be either to entice people to buy the other films as well or that each film will have a turn at the under 1,000 Yen mark (one per week?). Even at 1,980 Yen, the prices are stupidly cheap for R2 Japanese DVD.