Half Human Release Guide

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
MandaSaurus
Sazer

Re: Half Human Release Guide

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ I apologize as well. There is just so much incredibly stupid/offensive stuff out there that is DESERVING of being censored, but isn't, due to the First Amendment, that some minority complaining that they 'got their feelings hurt', by something in a MONSTER MOVIE, of all things, seems kinda pathetic.

I WOULD appreciate being pointed to where I can view the movie myself. I tried YouTube, but all I found there was the trailer.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Thanks to omgits & Gothicserpent for hooking me up with the original cut of "Half-Human".

It's pretty good, almost on a par with Hammer Films' "Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas". The copy I saw was desparately in need of restoration. Hopefully, one day Toho will release a re-mastered version, from their vault copy. The whole 'inbred villagers' thing did not seem mean-spirited, just part of the story. MUCH worse stuff about inbred clans, have graced the Horror genre, in films like "The Hills Have Eyes" & others. I don't think Toho has anything to be ashamed of, with this picture. There was already a disclaimer, about offending anyone, on the front of the copy I saw, & that would suffice for ANY release.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Manda2012 wrote:Thanks to omgits & Gothicserpent for hooking me up with the original cut of "Half-Human".

It's pretty good, almost on a par with Hammer Films' "Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas". The copy I saw was desparately in need of restoration. Hopefully, one day Toho will release a re-mastered version, from their vault copy. The whole 'inbred villagers' thing did not seem mean-spirited, just part of the story. MUCH worse stuff about inbred clans, have graced the Horror genre, in films like "The Hills Have Eyes" & others. I don't think Toho has anything to be ashamed of, with this picture. There was already a disclaimer, about offending anyone, on the front of the copy I saw, & that would suffice for ANY release.
No problem! I personally think the ending is one of Toho's most chilling.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

ABB Gamma
GPN Volunteer

Post by ABB Gamma »

Well, we were asked to speak up if any claim in the original post was inaccurate, and there happen to be couple of whoppers. Half Human was never released in its entirety on LaserDisc, colorized or otherwise. (Judging from some old Monster Zero threads, Tyler's source on this was a fellow named Ben Wagner, who I'm sure many of you remember fondly.) Also, the French VHS certainly doesn't contain the Japanese version of the film; the American running time and contributors are right there on the back cover.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I think that I'll put in my two cents' worth here. On a website named Cult Action, I saw a Japanese version/US version combo on DVD-R for sale. Anyone ever deal with them at any time, or is this something that shouldn't be mentioned here? My apologies in advance if it is. Also, the US version was originally released here in theaters in 1958 as the bottom half of a double feature with the "big bug" film Monster from Green Hell.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

mikelcho wrote:I think that I'll put in my two cents' worth here. On a website named Cult Action, I saw a Japanese version/US version combo on DVD-R for sale. Anyone ever deal with them at any time, or is this something that shouldn't be mentioned here? My apologies in advance if it is. Also, the US version was originally released here in theaters as the bottom half of a double feature with the "big bug" film Monster from Green Hell.
Cult Action sell bootlegs from what I recall.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks. I guess that I can avoid that site, unless someone's ordered from them before and gotten a good deal. By the way, does anyone have any info or experience with a similar website called Sci-Fi Station? I saw a Japanese version/American version of Gorath on it and would like an opinion.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

mikelcho wrote:Thanks. I guess that I can avoid that site, unless someone's ordered from them before and gotten a good deal. By the way, does anyone have any info or experience with a similar website called Sci-Fi Station? I saw a Japanese version/American version of Gorath on it and would like an opinion.
I haven't ordered there, but the prices are pretty outrageous.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Any digital release of Half Human is a bootleg. That goes for both Japanese and American versions.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

ABB Gamma wrote: Half Human was never released in its entirety on LaserDisc, colorized or otherwise. (Judging from some old Monster Zero threads, Tyler's source on this was a fellow named Ben Wagner, who I'm sure many of you remember fondly.)
Who's Ben Wagner?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Ōei
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ōei »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
ABB Gamma wrote: Half Human was never released in its entirety on LaserDisc, colorized or otherwise. (Judging from some old Monster Zero threads, Tyler's source on this was a fellow named Ben Wagner, who I'm sure many of you remember fondly.)
Who's Ben Wagner?
wondering the same thing lol.
Last edited by Ōei on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just got my Sinister Cinema catalog in the mail and found out that they still have the American version of this film on their roster. I'm surprised that Toho hasn't found out about this and made them take it out.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote:I just got my Sinister Cinema catalog in the mail and found out that they still have the American version of this film on their roster. I'm surprised that Toho hasn't found out about this and made them take it out.
The amount of effort it would take to track down every bootlegger of their films would be astronomical and honestly not worth their time. Like a hydra, kill one, two more pop up in their place.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I just got my Sinister Cinema catalog in the mail and found out that they still have the American version of this film on their roster. I'm surprised that Toho hasn't found out about this and made them take it out.
The amount of effort it would take to track down every bootlegger of their films would be astronomical and honestly not worth their time. Like a hydra, kill one, two more pop up in their place.
Granted that Sinister Cinema has been active for 33 years as of 2017, I'd hardly call them a fly-by-night operation at this stage in the game. Besides, I've looked through their catalog and Half Human seems to be their only Toho outing. Most of the other tokusatsu films that they've got are of the AIP-TV type; i.e., the American versions of the second to sixth Gamera films (they do have the American version of the first one, but that's not AIP), the American versions of the first and second Daimajin films, etc. . They've also released three Daiei pre-Gamera tokusatsu films that have never been released here at all-Enter the Invisible Man (1949), The Invisible Man vs. the Human Fly (1957) and The Whale God (1962). They've also released the AIP-TV American version of Warning from Space (1956), but they've added the Japanese subtitled version to it as a special edition. Finally, they've released some old Japanese horror films that have never been released here as well, but nothing from Toho besides that one.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

mikelcho wrote:I think that I'll put in my two cents' worth here. On a website named Cult Action, I saw a Japanese version/US version combo on DVD-R for sale. Anyone ever deal with them at any time, or is this something that shouldn't be mentioned here? My apologies in advance if it is. Also, the US version was originally released here in theaters in 1958 as the bottom half of a double feature with the "big bug" film Monster from Green Hell.
I actually have a copy of Half Human from them. It's serviceable. I really didn't expect much from a 60 year old film that has been given little attention
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Godzilla21 wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I think that I'll put in my two cents' worth here. On a website named Cult Action, I saw a Japanese version/US version combo on DVD-R for sale. Anyone ever deal with them at any time, or is this something that shouldn't be mentioned here? My apologies in advance if it is. Also, the US version was originally released here in theaters in 1958 as the bottom half of a double feature with the "big bug" film Monster from Green Hell.
I actually have a copy of Half Human from them. It's serviceable. I really didn't expect much from a 60 year old film that has been given little attention
By serviceable, do you mean it's in reasonably good condition, i.e., there's no white noise, skips, lines going up and down on the screen, etc. ?

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

mikelcho wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
By serviceable, do you mean it's in reasonably good condition, i.e., there's no white noise, skips, lines going up and down on the screen, etc. ?
Yes it's reasonably good for what it is. It does blur sometimes.
SpaceG92 wrote:

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Godzilla21 wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Okay, thanks. How bad is the blurring on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being absolutely non-existent so as not to be intrusive and 1 being absolutely so obvious it's not even funny?
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

mikelcho wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
mikelcho wrote:By serviceable, do you mean it's in reasonably good condition, i.e., there's no white noise, skips, lines going up and down on the screen, etc. ?
Okay, thanks. How bad is the blurring on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being absolutely non-existent so as not to be intrusive and 1 being absolutely so obvious it's not even funny?
Let me watch it tonight when I get home. I'll take some pictures
SpaceG92 wrote: