Guide to Toho Film/TV Distributors

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Guide to Toho Film/TV Distributors

Post by mikelcho »

I just got back from my local FYE. One of the employees (who knows me by sight, if not by name and is a Godzilla fan like I am) had bought the box set I mentioned above about a year ago, but he remembered its title was The Toho Godzilla Collection Volumes 1 & 2. That's the way it's written on the box, btw; I checked it out myself on eBay.

He also told me that this 2-disc box set is now the only way to get The Toho Godzilla Collection Vol. 1 at all, because the single DVD set release of it is out of print (and as a seller of such things, he should know). So "...may be out of print." for all references to this one DVD set alone in the listings of the five films that mention it should be "...is out of print."

Hope all these new changes can be put in very soon.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:43 am I just got back from my local FYE. One of the employees (who knows me by sight, if not by name and is a Godzilla fan like I am) had bought the box set I mentioned above about a year ago, but he remembered its title was The Toho Godzilla Collection Volumes 1 & 2. That's the way it's written on the box, btw; I checked it out myself on eBay.

He also told me that this 2-disc box set is now the only way to get The Toho Godzilla Collection Vol. 1 at all, because the single DVD set release of it is out of print (and as a seller of such things, he should know). So "...may be out of print." for all references to this one DVD set alone in the listings of the five films that mention it should be "...is out of print."

Is the vol 1 & 2 combo still in print? I don't really see it anywhere anymore.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Tohosaurus wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:31 pm
mikelcho wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:43 am I just got back from my local FYE. One of the employees (who knows me by sight, if not by name and is a Godzilla fan like I am) had bought the box set I mentioned above about a year ago, but he remembered its title was The Toho Godzilla Collection Volumes 1 & 2. That's the way it's written on the box, btw; I checked it out myself on eBay.

Is the vol. 1 & 2 combo still in print? I don't really see it anywhere anymore.
That I'm not sure of. Next time I go to my local FYE, I'll talk to the cashier who knows me who bought it from them. He'll probably know. I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE: The employee at my local FYE who I know says that The Toho Godzilla Collection Volumes 1 & 2 DVD box set is out of print. That probably means the single release of Volume 2 is out of print as well, just like the single release of Volume 1 is, but I'm not sure about that one. Do you want me to check on it and find out for sure?
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon May 31, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:00 pm

That I'm not sure of. Next time I go to my local FYE, I'll talk to the cashier who knows me who bought it from them. He'll probably know. I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE: The employee at my local FYE who I know says that The Toho Godzilla Collection Volumes 1 & 2 DVD box set is out of print. That probably means the single release of Volume 2 is out of print as well, just like the single release of Volume 1 is, but I'm not sure about that one. Do you want me to check on it and find out for sure?
No pressure but if you find out that could be interesting. Vol 2 could be OOP, or because of King Ghidorah and Mothra allegedly leaving Sony, Vol 1 and by extension the Vol 1 & 2 set could be OOP.
고질라

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

Tohosaurus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:08 pm

No pressure but if you find out that could be interesting. Vol 2 could be OOP, or because of King Ghidorah and Mothra allegedly leaving Sony, Vol 1 and by extension the Vol 1 & 2 set could be OOP.
If they did leave Sony, surprised Mill Creek or Arrow hasn’t picked them up. They seem like guaranteed sales for them.

Also surprised that Criterion hasn’t picked up the 60’s-70’s films with no distributors to put out like a “Toho SFX: The Showa Era collection”. Even if the transfers were only of the quality of the Godzilla set, get a commentary for Rodan and the Frankenstein Duology, and Matango and you’ve got a hell of a set. (Personally I’d get it even if it was barebones, just to have these films.)

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

KingCornetto wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:00 am If they did leave Sony, surprised Mill Creek or Arrow hasn’t picked them up. They seem like guaranteed sales for them.

Also surprised that Criterion hasn’t picked up the 60’s-70’s films with no distributors to put out like a “Toho SFX: The Showa Era collection”. Even if the transfers were only of the quality of the Godzilla set, get a commentary for Rodan and the Frankenstein Duology, and Matango and you’ve got a hell of a set. (Personally I’d get it even if it was barebones, just to have these films.)
May be fan rumor, but somewhere, someone said something (could I be more vague?) to the effect of Toho withholding films for now as they expire. The implication being that they don't want the Godzilla titles' rights fractured across so many companies. Not that they'd likely require a company to license all Toho Godzilla titles, but maybe more along the lines of a company needing to license the whole Millennium series versus only GMK, etc. Although this makes sense as some fans believe licenses for Biollante, KG, and BFE are expired and no company's released them, none of the companies involved have actually publicly confirmed any of this so these are all assumptions until something more concrete happens. If it's true though, the expiration of Sony's interest in the movies does represent a loss for Toho. At its peak, Sony had licensed nearly half of the Godzilla library and did so for a long time, making Sony something of a steward of the franchise in the US, Godzilla's home away from home if you will. It's pretty unlikely for the foreseeable future that any one company would show such consistent, sustained interest in the franchise again. One thing I am curious about that's vaguely related is that Sony indirectly has the license for Shin Godzilla, having bought FUNimation a while back. If SG is a typical five-year agreement (and we don't know if it is), that means SG would expire with FUNimation this year (assuming at least one of the parties isn't interested). If someone could get us SG on 4K Blu-ray soon that'd be great! :g2k:

Criterion's disinterest in the Toho Showa non-Godzilla movies is probably due to a couple of factors. For one thing, Criterion generally doesn't focus much on genre titles. There are some, such as War of the Worlds, The Blob, or of course Showa Godzilla. However, most such titles represent a landmark in cinema, the genre, or are a "classic" more generally. So hypothetically Criterion would be a lot more interested in Superman: The Movie compared to Man of Steel because of this. Also, given the difficulties involved with bringing the Showa collection to life (limited special features, poor transfers, etc), they may well have soured on working with Toho regarding new titles (temporarily or otherwise) and may mostly focus on other classic content they already licensed like Seven Samurai. That's pure speculation, however.

I think we'd have a better chance of Shout, Kino Lorber, or Arrow being interested in Showa titles from Toho. Arrow in particular has released a number of classic Japanese fims from the 50s-60s in the last couple of years - just not Toho. The downside is that a lot of Toho's movies, Godzilla included, do not have good transfers and won't even look that great on Blu-ray (I'd still take the win, but I digress). Similarly, Toho is infamous on the subject of special features. Thirdly, they are allegedly protective of "better" releases than what is available from their Toho Video division in Japan. So if something isn't available on Blu-ray there, it isn't likely to be allowed here. And plenty of Toho's catalog titles haven't been released on Blu-ray in Japan. So although it may sell well in the US, this is why you haven't in a long time seen a distributor introducing a shiny new transfer of a Godzilla movie packed with special features.
고질라

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

May be fan rumor, but somewhere, someone said something (could I be more vague?) to the effect of Toho withholding films for now as they expire. The implication being that they don't want the Godzilla titles' rights fractured across so many companies. Not that they'd likely require a company to license all Toho Godzilla titles, but maybe more along the lines of a company needing to license the whole Millennium series versus only GMK, etc. Although this makes sense as some fans believe licenses for Biollante, KG, and BFE are expired and no company's released them, none of the companies involved have actually publicly confirmed any of this so these are all assumptions until something more concrete happens. If it's true though, the expiration of Sony's interest in the movies does represent a loss for Toho. At its peak, Sony had licensed nearly half of the Godzilla library and did so for a long time, making Sony something of a steward of the franchise in the US, Godzilla's home away from home if you will. It's pretty unlikely for the foreseeable future that any one company would show such consistent, sustained interest in the franchise again. One thing I am curious about that's vaguely related is that Sony indirectly has the license for Shin Godzilla, having bought FUNimation a while back. If SG is a typical five-year agreement (and we don't know if it is), that means SG would expire with FUNimation this year (assuming at least one of the parties isn't interested). If someone could get us SG on 4K Blu-ray soon that'd be great! :g2k:

Criterion's disinterest in the Toho Showa non-Godzilla movies is probably due to a couple of factors. For one thing, Criterion generally doesn't focus much on genre titles. There are some, such as War of the Worlds, The Blob, or of course Showa Godzilla. However, most such titles represent a landmark in cinema, the genre, or are a "classic" more generally. So hypothetically Criterion would be a lot more interested in Superman: The Movie compared to Man of Steel because of this. Also, given the difficulties involved with bringing the Showa collection to life (limited special features, poor transfers, etc), they may well have soured on working with Toho regarding new titles (temporarily or otherwise) and may mostly focus on other classic content they already licensed like Seven Samurai. That's pure speculation, however.

I think we'd have a better chance of Shout, Kino Lorber, or Arrow being interested in Showa titles from Toho. Arrow in particular has released a number of classic Japanese fims from the 50s-60s in the last couple of years - just not Toho. The downside is that a lot of Toho's movies, Godzilla included, do not have good transfers and won't even look that great on Blu-ray (I'd still take the win, but I digress). Similarly, Toho is infamous on the subject of special features. Thirdly, they are allegedly protective of "better" releases than what is available from their Toho Video division in Japan. So if something isn't available on Blu-ray there, it isn't likely to be allowed here. And plenty of Toho's catalog titles haven't been released on Blu-ray in Japan. So although it may sell well in the US, this is why you haven't in a long time seen a distributor introducing a shiny new transfer of a Godzilla movie packed with special features.
[/quote]

Honestly, that makes sense on Toho’s part. Godzilla has more interest as a brand than it’s had in a long time, if I were them I’d also want to keep them more tightly together.

And as for the hypothetical Criterion set I suggested it was more as a “they already have Rodan and Gargantuas, so why not get the rest of what’s available”, but from what you’ve said, it might honestly be Toho keeping those from being released on Blu-Ray rather than disinterest from Criterion. I can see them being interested in potentially doing an Ishiro Honda series or something, partly due to his relationship with Kurosawa.

Still I can dream….
Last edited by KingCornetto on Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Most of the non-Godzilla Showa sci-fi pics from Toho are absolutely deserving of Criterion spines.
Mysterians, Rodan and Atragon immediately come to mind.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:17 pm Most of the non-Godzilla Showa sci-fi pics from Toho are absolutely deserving of Criterion spines.
Mysterians, Rodan and Atragon immediately come to mind.
But as noted, Criterion doesn't work so much with genre content like this, and most of the non-Godzilla Toho sci-fi in the Showa era isn't half as important to "cinema" (in the snobbiest sense of the word) as the Godzilla franchise was. They could arguably work better with their Eclipse label (which is borderline dormant) except that label has avoided Blu-ray as a format so not ideal.

But I would be all for The Mysterians, Rodan, Atragon, and all the rest. Arrow's brand is more aligned to these titles.
고질라

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Tohosaurus wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:38 pm But as noted, Criterion doesn't work so much with genre content like this, and most of the non-Godzilla Toho sci-fi in the Showa era isn't half as important to "cinema" (in the snobbiest sense of the word) as the Godzilla franchise was. They could arguably work better with their Eclipse label (which is borderline dormant) except that label has avoided Blu-ray as a format so not ideal.
I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. I'm looking at Solaris, Stalker, Kwaidan and Kuroneko as I type this. You mentioned War of the Worlds. They've released Repo Man at one point! Criterion absolutely dabbles in genre content, if it's up to snuff. The reason I mentioned those three films specifically is that, in my mind at least, they fit in with Criterion's "important films" MO. I can't *really* say the same for Dogora!
At the end of the day though, only Criterion knows what they want to do. The Godzilla set sold pretty well, but by all accounts wasn't a great experience to make, so who's really to say.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Criterion's released titles like The Blob, Fiend Without a Face, Equinox and a "Monsters and Madmen" boxset containing a set of 50s B-Movies, all of which I'd personally consider more lowbrow than (at least most of) Toho's SF films (Though granted, only The Blob has been reissued on Blu-Ray). So I highly doubt any of that sort of mentality going around.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:06 pm I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. I'm looking at Solaris, Stalker, Kwaidan and Kuroneko as I type this. You mentioned War of the Worlds. They've released Repo Man at one point! Criterion absolutely dabbles in genre content, if it's up to snuff. The reason I mentioned those three films specifically is that, in my mind at least, they fit in with Criterion's "important films" MO. I can't *really* say the same for Dogora!
At the end of the day though, only Criterion knows what they want to do. The Godzilla set sold pretty well, but by all accounts wasn't a great experience to make, so who's really to say.
I think our perspectives are fairly similar actually! What it boils down to is I just don't think it's as likely that Criterion will put titles like The Mysterians or Yog on Blu-ray if you look at the number of "B-movies" as a percentage of all their titles from the last 10 or 20 years. Movies with a better chance are ones which are highly acclaimed (like Solaris) or considered significant classics (like The Blob). Obviously Criterion releases obscure movies as well, but the more we slice down these attributes the less likely I feel it is. But impossible? No. I recall when no one thought Criterion was interested in anything beyond 1954 Godzilla and look where we are!
고질라

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Yeah a Criterion Blu-Ray set of (just for the sake of rounding) 15 *other* kaiju films, most of which would probably not have an English dub, or would only have Toho approved International dub would be a tough pill to swallow.

1. Rodan
2. Varan
3. The Mysterians
4. Mothra
5. Battle in Outer Space
6. The H-Man
7. Matango
8. Atragon
9. Dogora
10.Frankenstein Conquers the World
11.War of the Gargantuas
12.King Kong Escapes (Licensed from Universal similar to KK v G)
13.Latitude Zero
14.Space Amoeba
15.Warning From Space

All 15 of these have been released on DVD in North America (and in a couple cases BRD even) so that's why I list them. Of course the set would become substantially more desirable if they included films such as:

Half-Human
The Three Treasures
Secret of the Telegian
Gorath
Human Vapor
The Last War
Prophecies of Nostradamus

However, many of these are an instant *NO* for multiple reasons, but hypothetically, a 15 film set in the same aesthetic as the Showa Godzilla set could be made. But based on how Toho would want to limit it, I guess the question is more should it be made ?
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I was thinking about how Netflix could've ended up with nearly all the Toho Godzilla movies on their service in the US had things played out differently (and if Netflix even cared that much, which they probably don't):

Sony seemingly has the streaming rights since the Heisei and Millennium movies were on Crackle back in the day. So if Netflix had an agreement with Sony on those, plus already having the anime trilogy, that'd be 11 movies right there. If separately they'd worked out a deal for Godzilla (98) and Godzilla: The Series, even more content. Netflix originals Roma and The Irishman have been licensed by Criterion for physical media, so if there's a relationship they could've potentially negotiated the whole Showa series as well (like what is on HBO Max now) excepting King Kong vs Godzilla. So what's left out then would be King Kong vs Godzilla, Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Biollante, Shin Godzilla (which Sony has through FUNimation but hard to say what streaming terms are in that deal), the MV, and Hanna Barbera's Godzilla. Of course these days it seems like GvKG, G&BTBFE wouldn't be part of that and with claims that Sony's allowing the rest to expire in the coming years it make less sense. But only a few years ago Netflix US could've been the streaming home to nearly all Godzilla content. I made it sound easier than it'd be of course, but you get the point.

I greatly prefer physical media but just thinking about the streaming future as the brand will need it to remain relevant and the Heisei/Millennium stuff is mostly absent outside of digital purchases/rentals.
고질라

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

o.supreme wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:50 pm Yeah a Criterion Blu-Ray set of (just for the sake of rounding) 15 *other* kaiju films, most of which would probably not have an English dub, or would only have Toho approved International dub would be a tough pill to swallow.

1. Rodan
2. Varan
3. The Mysterians
4. Mothra
5. Battle in Outer Space
6. The H-Man
7. Matango
8. Atragon
9. Dogora
10.Frankenstein Conquers the World
11.War of the Gargantuas
12.King Kong Escapes (Licensed from Universal similar to KK v G)
13.Latitude Zero
14.Space Amoeba
15.Warning From Space

All 15 of these have been released on DVD in North America (and in a couple cases BRD even) so that's why I list them. Of course the set would become substantially more desirable if they included films such as:

Half-Human
The Three Treasures
Secret of the Telegian
Gorath
Human Vapor
The Last War
Prophecies of Nostradamus

However, many of these are an instant *NO* for multiple reasons, but hypothetically, a 15 film set in the same aesthetic as the Showa Godzilla set could be made. But based on how Toho would want to limit it, I guess the question is more should it be made ?
My dream line up for it would be:
Rodan
War of the Gargantuas
The Mysterians
Varan
Atragon
Mantango
Dogora
Frankenstein Conquers the World
Latitude Zero
Space Ameoba
The Secret of the Telegian
The Human Vapor
Half-Human
Three Treasures
The Last War

Honestly, I was happy with the three Mill Creek Blu-Rays, so I could live without those being on there. Although, likely they’d want Mothra as it’s more culturally relevant than any of the others. And if they got those, they might as well get the other two Mill Creek ones, so let’s say that Telegian, Latitude Zero, and Space Ameoba get booted. That’s still a great set. Now I’m upset it’s not real.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just got back from my local FYE. The employee I know wasn't there today, so I asked some others and they said the single release of Vol. 2 was probably OOP because they weren't getting it any more. When I asked them if they could confirm it, they said they couldn't.

I'm going to call my local Barnes & Noble and see if I have better luck with them.

UPDATE: I just called them and they don't have any of them in their system. That means I'll have to find the employee from FYE and ask him. I hope he's in tomorrow or Friday.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:49 am
mikelcho wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:00 pm That I'm not sure of. Next time I go to my local FYE, I'll talk to the cashier who knows me who bought it from them. He'll probably know. I'll keep you posted.

I just got back from my local FYE. The employee I know wasn't there today, so I asked some others and they said the single release of Vol. 2 was probably OOP because they weren't getting it any more. When I asked them if they could confirm it, they said they couldn't.

I'm going to call my local Barnes & Noble and see if I have better luck with them.

UPDATE: I just called them and they don't have any of them in their system. That means I'll have to find the employee from FYE and ask him. I hope he's in tomorrow or Friday.
Thank you for the update and your time. Sounds reasonably likely it's OOP given everything else with KG or BFE is OOP (seemingly).
고질라

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Tohosaurus wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:30 pm
mikelcho wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:49 am

Thank you for the update and your time. Sounds reasonably likely it's OOP given everything else with KG or BFE is OOP (seemingly).
I just talked to Glenn (I finally got his name, and he now knows mine) and he confirmed that all three releases of The Toho Godzilla Collection Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 - the two single releases and the two-in-one box set - are OOP entirely. He also told me to tell you (and thus, everyone else on here) that if anyone wants any one of or all three of them, they'd better get them now, because they're all probably going to cost a lot of money later (if they aren't already doing that right now).
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Thanks!
고질라

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Tohosaurus wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:55 pmThanks!
You're welcome!