Guide to Toho Film/TV Distributors

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Guide to Toho Film Distributors

Post by Goji »

Don't be so sure about the "great extras". Most of these films don't really have any, other than commentaries and short interviews with a surviving member of the production.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Honestly, by the standards of most Region 1 releases, those are pretty nice.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Oh yeah, totally. At the very least, it would be nice if they subtitled the commentaries like MB did for some of their Toho releases. I would be satisfied with that alone.

This is of course assuming they even go through with physical releases, which I really, really hope happens (as does everybody).
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Criterion is attempting to lasso all of the Showa films for one major box set. I can't imagine it being hard to sub-license Sea Monster, Hedorah and Gigan from Kraken... but Kong vs. Godzilla could be a ring of legal fire. Does make me giddy at the thought, however.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

MM Raids Again wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Criterion is attempting to lasso all of the Showa films for one major box set. I can't imagine it being hard to sub-license Sea Monster, Hedorah and Gigan from Kraken... but Kong vs. Godzilla could be a ring of legal fire. Does make me giddy at the thought, however.
I feel they could work something out with Kraken. For example, Sea Monster, Hedorah and Gigan are only available apart of the boxset, and don't contain the International dubs. If you want those, you've gotta get the Kraken releases. It'd be great if they could work out the same deal with Universal, but who knows.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/m ... 10917-1530

"Based on recent Janus Films rights acquisitions, it also seems likely that Criterion will release a Godzilla box set at some point."

They seem to think a boxset is likely. I am very excited by this news. If they COULD wrangle the rights to: King Kong vs Godzilla, Sea Monster, Hedorah, and Gigan....that would be huge.

Funny how a Kraken exec basically said after getting RoG that they were interested in the likes of Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla. Looks like Criterion had bigger and better plans.

Whether they end up getting the ENTIRE Showa series or not...my ideal Blu Ray Box Set would include the following:
- Where applicable, US and Japanese cuts of the films
- Where applicable, multiple US Dub options(International, and AIP/Titra/Titan)
- Ported over extras from previous Classic Media and Media Blasters releases of the films
- At least a few new extra features - A handful of new audio commentaries, etc

THEN we just need to have Sony/Funimation(now owned by Sony) to get a hold of RoG and Biollante, giving them the entire Heisei and Millennium series...and have Funimation create new English Dubs for the films, and release them all with two Dub options.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The old films aren't ever going to get new dubs, man. If a dub already exists, and Toho offers it, that is what will be used. I've lost count on how many times we've had this discussion, but there's clearly no getting through to you.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Goji wrote:The old films aren't ever going to get new dubs, man.
I don't want or expect every past Godzilla film to get a new dub. It's a nice notion, but realistically...I would only ever hope for Funimation to do it for the films that are already under the Sony umbrella....So 1991 onward. The entire Heisei and Millennium series getting the treatment for consistency would be nice....I mean, in a sense, Sony now has a company that specializes in providing worthwhile dubs to foreign properties. If they had any intention to scrape any more money from the Godzilla titles they have...offering a new dub, better transfers and a pinch of extras would be nice.

But honestly, I feel that in general, up to Biollante, the dubs we have are quite acceptable and largely go with the vintage nature of the films. The Biollante dub works for me.

But for whatever reason it just feels like there is a big drop-off once you hit Godzilla vs King Ghidorah...so in a pipe-dream scenario, I'd like the G films from then onward to get the new-Dub treatment. Unlikely, but a guy can dream.

Criterion going after any Godzilla movies beyond the original would be something I would call a pipe dream as well. I figured hoping for Universal or Shout Factory or someone to step up to the plate would be the best option.

But Criterion has 11 Godzilla films and intends to release them on Blu Ray/DVD. So as far as I'm concerned we're living in total dream world right now. Anything is possible. I'm prepared to try and speak anything into existence.

http://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/con ... dvdblu-ray

I received the same comment when I inquired by email myself.

If they can collect all of the old extras from the Classic Media releases....as well as those bootleg/unreleased/released illegally extras from the Media Blasters releases.....and include all of those archival extras and throw in a few more audio commentaries, and their customary 'booklet essay to accompany the film'....I'll be insanely satisfied.

Films themselves....give me US and Japanese cuts, and give me US and international English Dubs for the films that have them. Then I'm set.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Chrispy_G wrote: in a sense, Sony now has a company that specializes in providing worthwhile dubs to foreign properties. If they had any intention to scrape any more money from the Godzilla titles they have...offering a new dub, better transfers and a pinch of extras would be nice.
But you see, there's no need for it, as that "consistency" is already there. Every single Godzilla film from 1971-2004 has a Toho commissioned dub already available. Godzilla is far too niche for something like this to ever happen. You must realize this.
But for whatever reason it just feels like there is a big drop-off once you hit Godzilla vs King Ghidorah...so in a pipe-dream scenario, I'd like the G films from then onward to get the new-Dub treatment. Unlikely, but a guy can dream.
And rather surprisingly, I actually agree with you. I'm not really a fan of the export dubs done after '92, either, however, as you've now pointed out, it's just not a realistic scenario.
Criterion going after any Godzilla movies beyond the original would be something I would call a pipe dream as well. I figured hoping for Universal or Shout Factory or someone to step up to the plate would be the best option.
Criterion spearheading re-releases of these films is a way, waaay better option than Universal, but that really goes without saying. They wouldn't care about these films in the slightest. I mean, look at their KKvG release. The transfer is fine, but it was basically treated as a bargain bin title. Shout do good work (most of the time), but they fudged up their Gamera releases a bit, and they would absolutely not be a better alternative to Criterion.

We got really, really lucky.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Criterion is absolutely the best scenario that could have happened. They're definitely a couple notches above the likes of Universal, Kraken, or Sony for distribution. In a perfect world, they would have all the Showa titles, but the line up they have now is very nice. It's only the Kraken films and KKvG that they're missing. The Kraken films could possibly be sub-licensed, but I feel like we're doomed to never get a quality release of KKvG here in the states.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Maybe if Criterion would get KKvG from Universal they'd include the original Japanese version.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Yeah, I was just saying that we were in a situation where the best most would hope for is 'I hope random company X will want these movies and do something better than a crap release'....'Maybe Shout Factory could do something interesting?' 'Wonder if Universal cares at all' 'Think Funimation might want to do a bit more with these?'

And boom...Criterion swoops in like Rodan to save not one, not two, but ELEVEN Godzilla movies from the clutches of home media obscurity/mediocrity.

I would like to think that SOMEONE at Toho would be able to appreciate that a company like Criterion, known for treating films like 'art', being on board with Godzilla is a good thing.

I'm curious of the intent. Did the Criterion Godzilla release do THAT well that they want more? Did these 10(12 if you count Rodan and Gargantuas) films conveniently just seem like easy targets, easy films to pick up and grab with high financial upside? Criterion doesn't really seem so....superficial.

Or are they making moves to actively go after movies...and could they go after more in the future? Do they WANT them all? Do they want to give us 3 or 4 box sets covering every non-Legendary Godzilla film?

I feel that if anyone could sort out the King Kong vs Godzilla and Godzilla 1985 rights....it might be Criterion.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Chrispy_G wrote:I'm curious of the intent. Did the Criterion Godzilla release do THAT well that they want more? Did these 10(12 if you count Rodan and Gargantuas) films conveniently just seem like easy targets, easy films to pick up and grab with high financial upside? Criterion doesn't really seem so....superficial.

Or are they making moves to actively go after movies...and could they go after more in the future? Do they WANT them all? Do they want to give us 3 or 4 box sets covering every non-Legendary Godzilla film?

I feel that if anyone could sort out the King Kong vs Godzilla and Godzilla 1985 rights....it might be Criterion.
Criterion's released Armageddon before, and they've got The Breakfast Club coming out in January. They're perfectly willing to handle stuff that's about as "pop" as pop culture gets (not that TBC isn't a great film) or even outright schlock if it'll help fund some more restorations for foreign movies that no one but really hardcore film buffs have ever heard of. It might go against the romantic ideal of being this bastion of taste and highbrow filmmaking, but they're running a business.

I kind of doubt they'll be pursuing more than these, though. The selection they've gotten their hands on seems like a matter of convenience; the rights to all of them were either up for grabs or in the hands of companies that weren't doing anything with them.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I put this in the other thread but thought I would throw it here too -
Criterion is known for releasing 'prestigious' movies which often leads to snooty ideas about them ('they wouldn't release this or that film') but they've done all kinds of weird stuff. Godzilla, at least Showa Godzilla, would definitely fill a niche they've cut out for themselves in recent years when approaching classic Japanese film series (the Samurai Trilogy, Yojimbo/Sanjuro, Lady Snowblood, Lone Wolf & Cub, Zatoichi). If a proper set did happen every Godzilla fan would owe it to themselves to pick it up, not only would the films look and sound phenomenal, the simple fact that Godzilla got the seal of approval from Criterion would be a big f*cking deal.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I mean, even with the stigmas in America, the Godzilla series is the longest running film franchise in history so it’s at least culturally significant in that regard.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Indeed. People that have never seen a Godzilla movie before would recognize the character if you showed it to them, and or would know the roar if played for them. The type of people who compare every single giant monster in any movie to Godzilla. I mean, adding 'Zilla' onto other words as a suffix is a common language practice. There is a reality show called "Bridezillas" for crying out loud.

The character and property are insanely ubiquitous, and are historically significant for that fact. Also, the franchise is versatile. As a small child I adored Godzilla vs Gigan, Megalon, and MechaGodzilla. As a teenager I loved the eye candy of the Heisei series. As an adult I developed a newfound reputation for the iconic original film. Children, genre fans, fans of foreign cinema, fans of B-movies, fans who love action and spectacle....Godzilla attracts all comers in a lot of different ways.

It just so happens that some big, spectacular high profile Godzilla movies are right around the corner from a major studio. So having quality Godzilla releases in-supply is also a smart commercial move on top of getting you the admiration of the fanbase. Many of the Godzilla Blu Ray releases we currently have were timed to the release of the 2014 movie.

Added in 2 months 11 hours 34 minutes 31 seconds:
Is there any information regarding how long Sony has the rights to the Heisei and Millennium films? They had a handful of Showa titles for a bit, and those rights all lapsed/weren't renewed.

Was the deal for the Heisei/Millennium films an 'in perpetuity' kind of thing, or does Sony just re-up the rights every few years to hold onto them? Just wondering if they would ever, or could ever, lapse and be up for grabs.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Chrispy_G wrote: Is there any information regarding how long Sony has the rights to the Heisei and Millennium films? They had a handful of Showa titles for a bit, and those rights all lapsed/weren't renewed.

Was the deal for the Heisei/Millennium films an 'in perpetuity' kind of thing, or does Sony just re-up the rights every few years to hold onto them? Just wondering if they would ever, or could ever, lapse and be up for grabs.
None that's been mentioned publicly. My best guess is Showa movies don't sell as well and therefore Sony is happier to renew Heisei and Millennium movies. Then again, it wasn't Sony that got Return of Godzilla so maybe I'm incorrect.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Tohosaurus wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote: Is there any information regarding how long Sony has the rights to the Heisei and Millennium films? They had a handful of Showa titles for a bit, and those rights all lapsed/weren't renewed.

None that's been mentioned publicly. My best guess is Showa movies don't sell as well and therefore Sony is happier to renew Heisei and Millennium movies. Then again, it wasn't Sony that got Return of Godzilla so maybe I'm incorrect.
I dug up this old post from Keith Aiken on the Monster Zero forums. Source.
kpa wrote:I was able to check Sony's film and home video records for the Toho films they currently own... the info even included when the rights would be up for renewal. They have all rights (theatrical, home video, streaming, television) in North America and assorted other territories for the following titles...

H-MAN (In Perpetuity)
BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE (In Perpetuity)
MOTHRA (In Perpetuity)
GODZILLA VS KING GHIDORAH (Renewal Date: 2019)
GODZILLA AND MOTHRA (Renewal Date: 2019)
GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA II (Renewal Date: 2023)
GODZILLA VS SPACE GODZILLA (Renewal Date: 2023)
GODZILLA VS DESTOROYAH (Renewal Date: 2023)
REBIRTH OF MOTHRA (Renewal Date: 2023)
REBIRTH OF MOTHRA II (Renewal Date: 2023)
REBIRTH OF MOTHRA III (Renewal Date: 2025)
GODZILLA 1998 (In Perpetuity)
GODZILLA 2000 (Renewal Date: 2025)
GODZILLA VS MEGAGUIRUS (Renewal Date: 2023)
GMK (Renewal Date: 2023)

Sony also has all rights except theatrical for...

GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA
GODZILLA: TOKYO SOS
GODZILLA: FINAL WARS

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Wow, very exciting and interesting. Thanks for digging up that info!

So basically, they won't be giving up/losing any of those rights any time soon.

Sony has been bullish on the 4K front, really embracing the format and releasing a ton of titles, old and new, on 4K Disc. In 2004 a lot of titles they released on DVD had the '50 Year Anniversary' band across the top of the case. Godzilla 2014 and the 60 year anniversary pushed them(as well as Universal and Kraken) to release their titles onto Blu Ray, I wonder if Godzilla: King of the Monsters and the 65 year anniversary could push them to give their titles 4K releases or upgraded/collectors edition new Blu Ray releases.

King of the Monsters, the 65 year anniversary, and Godzilla vs Kong are certainly going to represent a bigger push into the mainstream/more sustained mainstream attention for the character than the 2014 film did alone. That was one film attempting to relaunch what had been a dead brand for a decade. Now, Godzilla is very much back in full force with two big blockbuster releases guaranteed in a 2 year stretch.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Chrispy_G wrote: I feel that if anyone could sort out the King Kong vs Godzilla and Godzilla 1985 rights....it might be Criterion.
I think Arrow Video would have a better chance with Godzilla 1985.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life