Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

JAGzilla wrote:^ Interesting. I've always assumed that Ultra Q was an Ultraman show, and had never given it a second thought before now. I just looked it up, though, and now I might have to give it a try. Sounds like a really great concept.
Same. Like Chrispy, I never really got into Ultraman, but am at least curious about it given my love of the kaiju genre. But I guess I've only ever heard of Ultra Q and just thought it was part of the Ultraman story/stories.

So, am I correct in my current understanding that it is, basically, part of the Ultraman multiverse, but before Ultraman was introduced as a character and concept?
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^Yes, it was the first "Ultra" series Eiji Tsuburaya made under his new company. It basically stands on its own, but at least one monster returns in Ultraman and is treated as an established existence by the Science Patrol.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:^ Interesting. I've always assumed that Ultra Q was an Ultraman show, and had never given it a second thought before now. I just looked it up, though, and now I might have to give it a try. Sounds like a really great concept.
Same. Like Chrispy, I never really got into Ultraman, but am at least curious about it given my love of the kaiju genre. But I guess I've only ever heard of Ultra Q and just thought it was part of the Ultraman story/stories.

So, am I correct in my current understanding that it is, basically, part of the Ultraman multiverse, but before Ultraman was introduced as a character and concept?
Basically, it answers the question "what would this world be like without the superhero and superteam saving it every week?" So every week you have our core trio of amateur sleuths investigating strange events that morph into a short kaiju movie. It's like 20+ short Toho monster movies with a recurring cast.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I thought I read somewhere that someone said that Mill Creek was interested in other Toho Kaiju movies.

Mothra was a sub-license from Sony/Tristar, by all accounts. If they could get Mothra...MAYBE they could get more Sony Godzilla titles. I know I've said it before, but if we could get the Heisei Films on Steelbook with the Ohrai poster artwork as the covers....I'd swoon.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Chrispy_G wrote:I thought I read somewhere that someone said that Mill Creek was interested in other Toho Kaiju movies.

Mothra was a sub-license from Sony/Tristar, by all accounts. If they could get Mothra...MAYBE they could get more Sony Godzilla titles. I know I've said it before, but if we could get the Heisei Films on Steelbook with the Ohrai poster artwork as the covers....I'd swoon.
Oh, me too! I'd jump for those in a heartbeat.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I'd be very torn between not wanting to double-dip on the exact same content as the Sony discs, and wanting to finally have Destoroyah through Megaguirus in order on my shelf.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I don't mind a double dip as long as what I get is an upgrade from previous releases

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I mentioned on another forum....Sony released the BRD of all it's Heisei & Millennium films back in 2014. Criterion had to acquire quite a bit of material and negotiate with Toho to release its *Showa BRD Set*. How difficult do you think it would be for Sony (or Mill Creek at this point) to negotiate with Toho, Lionsgate (for Biollante) and Kraken (for RoG) to release a full Heisei/Millennium set?

Think of it. 13 films all in one set, that would basically be the *equivalent* to the Criterion set. Also since all the dubs except 2000, which Toho doesn't seem to have an issue with- are Toho dubs, there would be much less disappointment by the fans. Of course the original American Theatrical film *Godzilla 1985* could not be included, but that would be one omission, as opposed to the many that the Criterion set has.
Last edited by o.supreme on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I'd be very torn between not wanting to double-dip on the exact same content as the Sony discs, and wanting to finally have Destoroyah through Megaguirus in order on my shelf.
I was so annoyed by that that I bought an empty 8 disc Blu Ray case and a 7 disc case. I put G54 and 84-95 in one case to create a 'Heisei Box' and then I put G98-04 in the other case to create an 'Anthology series/Millennium Series' Box. Otherwise I would have gone insane at the inconsistency.

Hell, I ordered a foreign Steelbook of Shin Godzilla(once I found a good price) to put my Blu Ray Disc in because I wanted Shin and the MonsterVerse films to all be in steelbook cases. Luckily the only text on the Steelbook itself is the title, Shin Godzilla, in English....so it works out.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Sorry to bump this but if anyone hasn't picked this release up yet check your local Walmart, my store that I work at just got copies in for sale this week. I believe we're selling them for $13.99
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Well, I just saw Mothra in its Japanese version a couple nights ago and I loved it!

However, a couple of shots with Mothra's moth form flying in the blue sky (like the one where she's flying back to Infant Island at the end) were a little bit shaky, but not by much. Plus, Mothra was referred to as "he" in the subtitles, when it should've been "she".
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I'm not sure the Japanese dialogue explicitly mentions whether Mothra is male or female. Japanese frequently drops parts of sentences that can be inferred from context, especially subjects, so it's entirely possible that Mothra is never referred to in the film using a third-person pronoun like "he" or "she." If that's the case, I personally would err on the side of the latter, but neither would technically be inaccurate.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I'm not sure the Japanese dialogue explicitly mentions whether Mothra is male or female. Japanese frequently drops parts of sentences that can be inferred from context, especially subjects, so it's entirely possible that Mothra is never referred to in the film using a third-person pronoun like "he" or "she." If that's the case, I personally would err on the side of the latter, but neither would technically be inaccurate.
Thanks for the info! That helps a lot!

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Yeah, I was about to mention at the time I'm confident even Toho wasn't sure of the sex of Mothera. Most don't really refer a gender to insects outside of biological study. Did we start seeing gender pronouns in Mothera vs. Godzilla.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Malchik wrote:Yeah, I was about to mention at the time I'm confident even Toho wasn't sure of the sex of Mothera. Most don't really refer a gender to insects outside of biological study. Did we start seeing gender pronouns in Mothera vs. Godzilla.
That's a good question. When was Mothra first referred to as female? Was it within, or outside of, the films?
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

It is a good question, I don't know either. I can't remember if the original english dub referred to "The Thing" as female. We just assume Mothera is female because of an egg it could not possibly lay.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I remember that it was "it" in the English dub of Mothra vs. Godzilla (Godzilla vs. the Thing) ("It is dying.").

I don't remember what Mothra was referred to as in Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster.

However, near the end of Ebirah, Horror of tthe Deep (Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster), the word "he" was used once ("He'll help you! You must get into the net!").
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

GTTHM calls mothra “he”.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

canofhumdingers wrote:GTTHM calls mothra “he”.
Thanks!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't think Mothra is referred to by gender in the Toho-commissioned dub of Ebirah. There's one line that might qualify (Shobijin: "Tell them to make a large net and wait for her.") although I can't tell if they're saying "her" or "him". There's also a possibility that they say "us," which would render the whole matter moot.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.