Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
User avatar
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
G-Grasper
Posts: 1022
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:34 am
Location: USA

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Mecha-SpaceGhidorah » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:10 am

JAGzilla wrote:^ Interesting. I've always assumed that Ultra Q was an Ultraman show, and had never given it a second thought before now. I just looked it up, though, and now I might have to give it a try. Sounds like a really great concept.

Same. Like Chrispy, I never really got into Ultraman, but am at least curious about it given my love of the kaiju genre. But I guess I've only ever heard of Ultra Q and just thought it was part of the Ultraman story/stories.

So, am I correct in my current understanding that it is, basically, part of the Ultraman multiverse, but before Ultraman was introduced as a character and concept?
Image
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
    ~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5143
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Rody » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:41 am

^Yes, it was the first "Ultra" series Eiji Tsuburaya made under his new company. It basically stands on its own, but at least one monster returns in Ultraman and is treated as an established existence by the Science Patrol.

User avatar
Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Pkmatrix » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:05 am

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:^ Interesting. I've always assumed that Ultra Q was an Ultraman show, and had never given it a second thought before now. I just looked it up, though, and now I might have to give it a try. Sounds like a really great concept.

Same. Like Chrispy, I never really got into Ultraman, but am at least curious about it given my love of the kaiju genre. But I guess I've only ever heard of Ultra Q and just thought it was part of the Ultraman story/stories.

So, am I correct in my current understanding that it is, basically, part of the Ultraman multiverse, but before Ultraman was introduced as a character and concept?


Basically, it answers the question "what would this world be like without the superhero and superteam saving it every week?" So every week you have our core trio of amateur sleuths investigating strange events that morph into a short kaiju movie. It's like 20+ short Toho monster movies with a recurring cast.

User avatar
Chrispy_G
Interpol Agent
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Chrispy_G » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:17 pm

I thought I read somewhere that someone said that Mill Creek was interested in other Toho Kaiju movies.

Mothra was a sub-license from Sony/Tristar, by all accounts. If they could get Mothra...MAYBE they could get more Sony Godzilla titles. I know I've said it before, but if we could get the Heisei Films on Steelbook with the Ohrai poster artwork as the covers....I'd swoon.

User avatar
Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:10 am

Chrispy_G wrote:I thought I read somewhere that someone said that Mill Creek was interested in other Toho Kaiju movies.

Mothra was a sub-license from Sony/Tristar, by all accounts. If they could get Mothra...MAYBE they could get more Sony Godzilla titles. I know I've said it before, but if we could get the Heisei Films on Steelbook with the Ohrai poster artwork as the covers....I'd swoon.


Oh, me too! I'd jump for those in a heartbeat.

User avatar
omgitsgodzilla
EDF Soldier
Posts: 4131
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:52 am
Location: Soviet Nuclear Missile Satellite

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby omgitsgodzilla » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:42 am

I'd be very torn between not wanting to double-dip on the exact same content as the Sony discs, and wanting to finally have Destoroyah through Megaguirus in order on my shelf.
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

Latest project: Godzilla 1985 35mm hybrid reconstruction
Current project: Stay tuned for details

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Godzillian » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:00 am

I don't mind a double dip as long as what I get is an upgrade from previous releases
Image

User avatar
o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2408
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:51 am
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby o.supreme » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:37 am

I mentioned on another forum....Sony released the BRD of all it's Heisei & Millennium films back in 2014. Criterion had to acquire quite a bit of material and negotiate with Toho to release its *Showa BRD Set*. How difficult do you think it would be for Sony (or Mill Creek at this point) to negotiate with Toho, Lionsgate (for Biollante) and Kraken (for RoG) to release a full Heisei/Millennium set?

Think of it. 13 films all in one set, that would basically be the *equivalent* to the Criterion set. Also since all the dubs except 2000, which Toho doesn't seem to have an issue with- are Toho dubs, there would be much less disappointment by the fans. Of course the original American Theatrical film *Godzilla 1985* could not be included, but that would be one omission, as opposed to the many that the Criterion set has.
Last edited by o.supreme on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

User avatar
Chrispy_G
Interpol Agent
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Chrispy_G » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:45 am

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I'd be very torn between not wanting to double-dip on the exact same content as the Sony discs, and wanting to finally have Destoroyah through Megaguirus in order on my shelf.


I was so annoyed by that that I bought an empty 8 disc Blu Ray case and a 7 disc case. I put G54 and 84-95 in one case to create a 'Heisei Box' and then I put G98-04 in the other case to create an 'Anthology series/Millennium Series' Box. Otherwise I would have gone insane at the inconsistency.

Hell, I ordered a foreign Steelbook of Shin Godzilla(once I found a good price) to put my Blu Ray Disc in because I wanted Shin and the MonsterVerse films to all be in steelbook cases. Luckily the only text on the Steelbook itself is the title, Shin Godzilla, in English....so it works out.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gvamp
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5329
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby gvamp » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Sorry to bump this but if anyone hasn't picked this release up yet check your local Walmart, my store that I work at just got copies in for sale this week. I believe we're selling them for $13.99
optimum in mundi


Return to “Toho Media”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests