Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
G-Grasper

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Mecha-SpaceGhidorah » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:10 am

JAGzilla wrote:^ Interesting. I've always assumed that Ultra Q was an Ultraman show, and had never given it a second thought before now. I just looked it up, though, and now I might have to give it a try. Sounds like a really great concept.

Same. Like Chrispy, I never really got into Ultraman, but am at least curious about it given my love of the kaiju genre. But I guess I've only ever heard of Ultra Q and just thought it was part of the Ultraman story/stories.

So, am I correct in my current understanding that it is, basically, part of the Ultraman multiverse, but before Ultraman was introduced as a character and concept?
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
    ~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:41 am

^Yes, it was the first "Ultra" series Eiji Tsuburaya made under his new company. It basically stands on its own, but at least one monster returns in Ultraman and is treated as an established existence by the Science Patrol.

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:05 am

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:^ Interesting. I've always assumed that Ultra Q was an Ultraman show, and had never given it a second thought before now. I just looked it up, though, and now I might have to give it a try. Sounds like a really great concept.

Same. Like Chrispy, I never really got into Ultraman, but am at least curious about it given my love of the kaiju genre. But I guess I've only ever heard of Ultra Q and just thought it was part of the Ultraman story/stories.

So, am I correct in my current understanding that it is, basically, part of the Ultraman multiverse, but before Ultraman was introduced as a character and concept?

Basically, it answers the question "what would this world be like without the superhero and superteam saving it every week?" So every week you have our core trio of amateur sleuths investigating strange events that morph into a short kaiju movie. It's like 20+ short Toho monster movies with a recurring cast.

Chrispy_G
Interpol Agent

Postby Chrispy_G » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:17 pm

I thought I read somewhere that someone said that Mill Creek was interested in other Toho Kaiju movies.

Mothra was a sub-license from Sony/Tristar, by all accounts. If they could get Mothra...MAYBE they could get more Sony Godzilla titles. I know I've said it before, but if we could get the Heisei Films on Steelbook with the Ohrai poster artwork as the covers....I'd swoon.

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:10 am

Chrispy_G wrote:I thought I read somewhere that someone said that Mill Creek was interested in other Toho Kaiju movies.

Mothra was a sub-license from Sony/Tristar, by all accounts. If they could get Mothra...MAYBE they could get more Sony Godzilla titles. I know I've said it before, but if we could get the Heisei Films on Steelbook with the Ohrai poster artwork as the covers....I'd swoon.

Oh, me too! I'd jump for those in a heartbeat.

omgitsgodzilla
EDF Soldier

Postby omgitsgodzilla » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:42 am

I'd be very torn between not wanting to double-dip on the exact same content as the Sony discs, and wanting to finally have Destoroyah through Megaguirus in order on my shelf.
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

Latest project: Godzilla 1985 35mm hybrid reconstruction
Current project: Stay tuned for details

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:00 am

I don't mind a double dip as long as what I get is an upgrade from previous releases

o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby o.supreme » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:37 am

I mentioned on another forum....Sony released the BRD of all it's Heisei & Millennium films back in 2014. Criterion had to acquire quite a bit of material and negotiate with Toho to release its *Showa BRD Set*. How difficult do you think it would be for Sony (or Mill Creek at this point) to negotiate with Toho, Lionsgate (for Biollante) and Kraken (for RoG) to release a full Heisei/Millennium set?

Think of it. 13 films all in one set, that would basically be the *equivalent* to the Criterion set. Also since all the dubs except 2000, which Toho doesn't seem to have an issue with- are Toho dubs, there would be much less disappointment by the fans. Of course the original American Theatrical film *Godzilla 1985* could not be included, but that would be one omission, as opposed to the many that the Criterion set has.
Last edited by o.supreme on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Chrispy_G
Interpol Agent

Postby Chrispy_G » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:45 am

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I'd be very torn between not wanting to double-dip on the exact same content as the Sony discs, and wanting to finally have Destoroyah through Megaguirus in order on my shelf.

I was so annoyed by that that I bought an empty 8 disc Blu Ray case and a 7 disc case. I put G54 and 84-95 in one case to create a 'Heisei Box' and then I put G98-04 in the other case to create an 'Anthology series/Millennium Series' Box. Otherwise I would have gone insane at the inconsistency.

Hell, I ordered a foreign Steelbook of Shin Godzilla(once I found a good price) to put my Blu Ray Disc in because I wanted Shin and the MonsterVerse films to all be in steelbook cases. Luckily the only text on the Steelbook itself is the title, Shin Godzilla, in English....so it works out.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

gvamp
E.S.P.Spy

Postby gvamp » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Sorry to bump this but if anyone hasn't picked this release up yet check your local Walmart, my store that I work at just got copies in for sale this week. I believe we're selling them for $13.99
optimum in mundi

Return to “Toho Media”