Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
goji1986
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby goji1986 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:04 am

(Only mildly off-topic, but I've started a thread in the proper place to fully discuss it. Join me there!)

Looks like Mill Creek isn't giving us a chance to catch our breath, as they've just announced that they've acquired the ENTIRE Ultra catalog for North American distribution!

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=28787
Last edited by goji1986 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction in progress!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

User avatar
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4237
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:52 am
Location: Soviet Nuclear Missile Satellite

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby omgitsgodzilla » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 am

Next thing we know, instead of the Criterion box set, we'll get Mill Creek dropping steelbooks of Toho's 4K restorations. :P
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

Latest project: Godzilla 1985 35mm hybrid reconstruction
Current project: Stay tuned for details

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby mikelcho » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:58 pm

My local FYE just got two copies @ $17.99 each.

You and I just know that I'm going to pick this one up.

User avatar
Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:39 pm

Well look what somehow managed to arrive today:

Image

User avatar
Chrispy_G
G-Grasper
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Chrispy_G » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:13 am

My Mothra Steelbook arrives today :)

I was never an Ultraman fan, kind of too young to be part of that generation(My Dad loves Ultraman) and never really was able to get into it retroactively. But I do think it is very awesome of Mill Creek to be going after these Japanese Kaiju properties and giving them nifty Steelbook releases and etc. Just like when Shout Factory did that insane Steelbook collection of the original Power Rangers run. Buying that would not be MY cup of tea(although I loved it growing up)....but I'm always happy to see die hard fans get something really cool that honors the property and the fandom.

I hope this is a sign of things to come from Mill Creek. Perhaps grabbing up licenses or sub-licenses to Kaiju properties and giving them Steelbook Blu Ray releases with new transfers. Could you imagine if we got a Steelbook of each of the Heisei films using the gorgeous Ohrai Posters/Artwork? I'm getting chills thinking about it.

martian001
Ronin
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:46 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby martian001 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:19 am

Got my copy of MOTHRA yesterday;


User avatar
Dino4ex
Samurai
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:50 am
Location: Earth

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Dino4ex » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:21 am

Got my Mothra yesterday and had time to look at it today. This is my first steelbook and I really like it.
Last edited by Dino4ex on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giant Carnivorous Ants

User avatar
Chrispy_G
G-Grasper
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Chrispy_G » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:18 am

I've totally jumped on the Steelbook bandwagon this year. Luckily I don't own a ton of films these day(The entire Godzilla franchise is about half of my entire collection)....and most movies I've owned for years. A 4K steelbook comes out, I pick it up. I see a cool "exclusive steelbook" on a site or store, I pick it up.

Almost every one of my non-Godzilla films is a Steelbook save for a few holdouts(Avatar needs a 4K Steelbook ASAP and WB needs to do a Steelbook for Deep Blue Sea).....and any new movies I add, I go for the Steelbooks.

But now it seems like Steelbooks are starting to creep in on the Godzilla franchise, which is very cool in my book :)
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pkmatrix
Futurian
Posts: 3124
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Pkmatrix » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:53 am

Chrispy_G wrote:I've totally jumped on the Steelbook bandwagon this year. Luckily I don't own a ton of films these day(The entire Godzilla franchise is about half of my entire collection)....and most movies I've owned for years. A 4K steelbook comes out, I pick it up. I see a cool "exclusive steelbook" on a site or store, I pick it up.

Almost every one of my non-Godzilla films is a Steelbook save for a few holdouts(Avatar needs a 4K Steelbook ASAP and WB needs to do a Steelbook for Deep Blue Sea).....and any new movies I add, I go for the Steelbooks.

But now it seems like Steelbooks are starting to creep in on the Godzilla franchise, which is very cool in my book :)


I've been mostly ignoring steelbooks up until now, I think the only one I had prior to this was for Jurassic Park? They ARE cool, but the price has always put me off. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and start picking them up, since they ARE really nice...

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby mikelcho » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:54 am

Just just this one Thursday. It's got the Japanese version (101 minutes) and the American version (90 minutes).

Can't wait to see the former!

User avatar
Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:13 pm

Watched it today and it was gorgeous. The audio was quite good too despite only being in stereo. The subtitles were accurate except for when they said Mothra was a "he." Not sure how they keep screwing that up.

Added in 38 seconds:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:I've totally jumped on the Steelbook bandwagon this year. Luckily I don't own a ton of films these day(The entire Godzilla franchise is about half of my entire collection)....and most movies I've owned for years. A 4K steelbook comes out, I pick it up. I see a cool "exclusive steelbook" on a site or store, I pick it up.

Almost every one of my non-Godzilla films is a Steelbook save for a few holdouts(Avatar needs a 4K Steelbook ASAP and WB needs to do a Steelbook for Deep Blue Sea).....and any new movies I add, I go for the Steelbooks.

But now it seems like Steelbooks are starting to creep in on the Godzilla franchise, which is very cool in my book :)


I've been mostly ignoring steelbooks up until now, I think the only one I had prior to this was for Jurassic Park? They ARE cool, but the price has always put me off. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and start picking them up, since they ARE really nice...


The problem with steelbook is they can't be replaced if they break. If a standard plastic case breaks, you can easily get a new one.

User avatar
LamangoKaijura
Futurian
Posts: 3267
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby LamangoKaijura » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:36 pm

Weird, the one I got from the 3 Toho SciFi films box set looks better. And comes with Subs and Dub.
Image

User avatar
Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:12 pm

LamangoKaijura wrote:Weird, the one I got from the 3 Toho SciFi films box set looks better. And comes with Subs and Dub.


What looks better?

Also, the Mill Creek Blu-Ray has both languages on it.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LamangoKaijura
Futurian
Posts: 3267
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby LamangoKaijura » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Weird, the one I got from the 3 Toho SciFi films box set looks better. And comes with Subs and Dub.


What looks better?

Also, the Mill Creek Blu-Ray has both languages on it.

The skreeonking film, Kami.
Image

User avatar
Chrispy_G
G-Grasper
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Chrispy_G » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:19 am

Haven't checked it out yet, do they properly refer to Mothra as a 'she' for the duration of the Dub?

Added in 1 hour 35 minutes 38 seconds:
Also...I hope this and the Ultraman releases go well for Mill Creek. They licensed Mothra from Sony. I would love to see them license all of Sony's Godzilla films for Steelbook releases. New transfers and shelling out for a handful of audio commentaries would be cool.

User avatar
Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 am

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Weird, the one I got from the 3 Toho SciFi films box set looks better. And comes with Subs and Dub.


What looks better?

Also, the Mill Creek Blu-Ray has both languages on it.

The skreeonking film, Kami.


You keep saying that, but what do you mean exactly? What looks better? Because if you are referring to the video quality, you are flat out wrong. First off, because they use the same print. Secondly, because the bitrates are way higher on the BD than the DVD. There is no way in hell you can honestly think the DVD looks better unless you are just flat out trolling.

User avatar
LamangoKaijura
Futurian
Posts: 3267
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby LamangoKaijura » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:05 pm

I just think BluRays for tokustatus before the 90's is...kinda pointless. They put so much effort to hide the strings and wires, but BluRay exposes them.
Image

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6727
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:17 pm

LamangoKaijura wrote:I just think BluRays for tokustatus before the 90's is...kinda pointless. They put so much effort to hide the strings and wires, but BluRay exposes them.


"If bluray exposes your special effects then they aren't good special effects!" - Lots of non-fans probably.
JAGzilla wrote:Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

User avatar
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4110
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Terasawa » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:05 pm

You’re not really seeing significantly more from 1080p HD than you would have seen in the theater when the films were first released. That’s dependent on a few circumstances but what you’re seeing on Blu-ray is the image you were meant to see.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:47 pm

LamangoKaijura wrote:I just think BluRays for tokustatus before the 90's is...kinda pointless. They put so much effort to hide the strings and wires, but BluRay exposes them.


cringe

But yeah the Blu Ray is pretty mediocre. Seems like there's some crushed blacks, it's so dark at times. It also has that sync error. I wasn't expecting a new transfer or anything, but just a shame more couldn't be done.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.


Return to “Toho Media”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest