Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Malchik
EDF Instructor

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Post by Malchik »

LamangoKaijura wrote:I just think BluRays for tokustatus before the 90's is...kinda pointless. They put so much effort to hide the strings and wires, but BluRay exposes them.
Pfft. You could see the wires on the big screen.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

LamangoKaijura wrote:I just think BluRays for tokustatus before the 90's is...kinda pointless. They put so much effort to hide the strings and wires, but BluRay exposes them.
There is a HUGE difference between Gorenger's Blu-Ray video quality to the DVD quality. The Blu-Rays are smoother, more detailed, cleaner, while the DVD quality looks faded out.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Didn't some of Sony's DVDs have issues with exposing the wires anyway? I'm not sure this is simply a format problem.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Rody wrote:Didn't some of Sony's DVDs have issues with exposing the wires anyway? I'm not sure this is simply a format problem.
As did VHS tapes. The cameras Tsuburaya had back then are inferior to today's technology. You're going to get wires no matter what. However, if you let seeing wires ruin your enjoyment of a film, you're probably not really a fan of the film to begin with. That would be like watching the old Doctor Who stories and then saying an episode was crap because it had poor effects.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I always go for the highest quality of any film. If there is a 4K, I get it, if there is a Blu Ray, I get it. If I have to settle for DVD, so be it.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:I've totally jumped on the Steelbook bandwagon this year. Luckily I don't own a ton of films these day(The entire Godzilla franchise is about half of my entire collection)....and most movies I've owned for years. A 4K steelbook comes out, I pick it up. I see a cool "exclusive steelbook" on a site or store, I pick it up.

Almost every one of my non-Godzilla films is a Steelbook save for a few holdouts(Avatar needs a 4K Steelbook ASAP and WB needs to do a Steelbook for Deep Blue Sea).....and any new movies I add, I go for the Steelbooks.

But now it seems like Steelbooks are starting to creep in on the Godzilla franchise, which is very cool in my book :)
I've been mostly ignoring steelbooks up until now, I think the only one I had prior to this was for Jurassic Park? They ARE cool, but the price has always put me off. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and start picking them up, since they ARE really nice...
I've never specifically avoided them, but I'm not huge on deluxe packaging and there's almost always a standard case version out there for less money. Having picked up this release and the MMPR steelbook box set back when that was the only way to get the movie on Blu-ray, I can see the appeal, but I'm probably still not going to go out of my way when there are less expensive options for the same content.

As for whether pre-'90s tokusatsu on Blu-ray is worthwhile... Bruh

Stuff like Power Rangers that was finished and had many of its VFX done on SD video is one thing, but anything shot on film benefits from HD presentation. Good SD might be adequate for a lot of older television productions, but for tokusatsu, where a lot of work goes into the visuals, HD is definitely worthwhile.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

DougieJP
Young Farmer

Post by DougieJP »

I mean, when you were watching these movies on a pristine 35mm print back in their day, you would have seen the wires.

The fact that inferior formats hide them due to the lower resolution and compression causing a loss of detail really isn't a good thing.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

With movies like this, wires shouldn’t exactly bother you in the first place. Just my perspective.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

If people can enjoy the early Bond films despite stuff like jump-cuts in Dr. No to hurry certain shots along or a lot of obvious sped-up footage in Goldfinger, then a handful of visible wires on the tails or wings of the painstakingly-crafted monsters destroying the exquisitely-detailed miniatures shouldn't ruin Showa-era tokusatsu.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:If people can enjoy the early Bond films despite stuff like jump-cuts in Dr. No to hurry certain shots along or a lot of obvious sped-up footage in Goldfinger, then a handful of visible wires on the tails or wings of the painstakingly-crafted monsters destroying the exquisitely-detailed miniatures shouldn't ruin Showa-era tokusatsu.
This. Couldn’t have said it better myself.
Long Live The Sting

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Rody wrote:Didn't some of Sony's DVDs have issues with exposing the wires anyway? I'm not sure this is simply a format problem.
IIRC, their Megaguirus DVD included some contrast, and possibly color corrections. This basically reversed the SFX teams work to hide the wires, so several scenes on the DVD are laughably bad because of how detailed the multitude of wires are in the video. Naturally, Toho's R2 DVD didn't suffer from this problem. I don't know if Ive ever watched the Sony Blu-ray, so I have no idea if this issue was resolved on it.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
cringe

But yeah the Blu Ray is pretty mediocre. Seems like there's some crushed blacks, it's so dark at times. It also has that sync error. I wasn't expecting a new transfer or anything, but just a shame more couldn't be done.

What sync issue?

And yeah I'm really tired of this attitude from people who don't really understand it to be honest. Like if you really prefer dvd fine. But it is extremely rare that a bluray looks no better if not worse than a dvd and that is only really due to using an inferior master or it being a bad upscale.

Neither of which this release is. The film looks way better than the DVD in terms of detail and clarity. Sure it's gonna never look nodern hollywood good in terms of pq but thata due to the era and country it was made as well as the techniques used to edit the special effects in with the character scenes. And Sony's masters have held up really nicely and definitely the definitive release for me in terms of how great it looks.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I just ordered the Blu Ray steelbook, and the Rebirth of Mothra collection! I love the third Rebirth film, I still need to see the first two!

Any other Kaiju/Toho films on Blu Ray I should buy?
Last edited by Anguirus on Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

G-MAN wrote:What sync issue?
Japanese version:

There's also a section that's out of sync in the English version (not hosted on YouTube).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Oh yuck, that Sony version is way off…
Long Live The Sting

Shokara
Yojimbo

Post by Shokara »

Stump Feet wrote:Oh yuck, that Sony version is way off…
The exact same sync issue is on the German Blu-ray set from Anolis, because I believe that releases uses this exact same print. The same goes for the American version on said release. Either Anolis got all their materials from Sony, or this is Toho's official "export print" of the Japanese version. I'm more inclined to believe the former, that this is simply what Sony has.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Not sure if I am asking this in the right spot.....but I've never watched any of the Ultra Q/Ultraman stuff....it was completely something my dad was into growing up, but it was never my thing despite how much I loved Godzilla.

I expect to get a bunch of "yes!" responses, but the new upcoming Steelbooks, and knowing that Mill Creek has full rights to the series and that all of the releases will be coming has got me a little interested in jumping on board the series. I know relatively little about any of it.

Again, unsure if I'm asking in the right thread....but if I'm into Godzilla would Ultraman be my thing? Would anyone recommend straight up blind buys of this material even though I've never really seen any of it?
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

It probably would be better in it’s on thread but the honest answer is “maybe”.

I’m huge into Godzilla and love most other kaiju movies (Gamera, Gappa, Rodan, Mothra, and so on). And yet, I don’t love ultraman. Ive tried, and it’s alright but it’s just not the same for some reason. I do like the original show well enough that I plan on getting it, but beyond that I’m very noncommittal.

However, I LOVE me some Ultra Q! I *cannot wait* to get that Blu-ray set!! The show is like if Toho* and Tsuburaya smashed The X-files and the Twilight Zone together, stirred in a little Daikaiju powder, sprinkled on some 60’s flair threw it in the oven to bake a delicious cake of a show!

*i know it’s not actually a Toho production but it still feels like one.
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Interesting. I've always assumed that Ultra Q was an Ultraman show, and had never given it a second thought before now. I just looked it up, though, and now I might have to give it a try. Sounds like a really great concept.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Further discussion on the Mill Creek Ultra releases can be found here:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 7&start=60
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132