Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
kpa
G-Grasper

Re: Mill Creek releasing "Mothra"

Post by kpa »

Gawdziller wrote:So it is just the US version. Disappointing.
I wouldn't expect the Japanese version to be included on a budget set like this one. They're made specifically to be inexpensive product for bargain bins and impulse buys, not top-line presentations.

If someone wants the Japanese version and/or extras the TOHO COLLECTION DVD set is still available from Sony.

GojiraFan1999
Yojimbo

Post by GojiraFan1999 »

Here's My Version Of DVD Box Art

milo bloom
Monsterland Worker

Post by milo bloom »

Tohosaurus wrote:
kpa wrote: Mill Creek sent me info and product specs for this set. Everything is now on SciFi Japan...

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014 ... -classics/
I hope they'll release the RoM trilogy and Mothra on BRD, along with any/all of the Sony (Toho) Godzilla titles. That'd be nice for MC.

Releasing the Gamera and Daimajin trilogies on DVD would be nice too, because that might improve sales since BRDs, even at low prices, are probably more niche (in an already niche sub-genre).
I've got that Toho icons set with Mothra so I can wait for a Bluray of the RoM trilogy.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

I wonder if they'll use the same print as the Icons set, which looks pretty damn good. Either way, it's cool to see one of the better kaiju films getting a wider release...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

tymon wrote:I wonder if they'll use the same print as the Icons set, which looks pretty damn good. Either way, it's cool to see one of the better kaiju films getting a wider release...
They'll probably use whatever Sony gives them, but since they have to fit 3 other movies on the same disc, I expect it to be toned down severely.

inframan
Yojimbo

Post by inframan »

Gawdziller wrote:Interesting. Mill Creek's quality varies
Yes from crappy to half-assed and everything in between.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I've watched some of Mill Creek's Blu-ray Sony titles, they're not that bad.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

inframan wrote:
Gawdziller wrote:Interesting. Mill Creek's quality varies
Yes from crappy to half-assed and everything in between.
I disagree. Their budget releases are the quality level I would expected for product made for bargain bins and impulse buys. But Mill Creek has also stepped up a done some great work... their DAIMAJIN TRILOGY set was nominated for a handful of awards and named the "Best Movie Collection" last year by Home Media Magazine and Dread Central.

In the past ten years I've worked (to varying degrees) on several tokusatsu DVD/Blu-ray releases from a half dozen or so different companies. With some of them, I had to push and push to get anything done, but Mill Creek was one of the easiest tow work with by far. They just showed a real enthusiasm for the films, doing the job right and correcting the inevitable mistakes that did occur... pretty much the exact opposite of half-assed.

I think the mistake is in lumping all of their releases together, rather than realizing that they make different levels of product for specific types of releases (same as most other home video labels).

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Man, I have a love-hate relationship with these monster multi-packs. I'd love to own all these in individual releases.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Man, I have a love-hate relationship with these monster multi-packs. I'd love to own all these in individual releases.
Well, 20 Million Miles and It Came from Beneath have individual blu-rays and DVDs, and Mothra and the Giant Claw are on individual discs in multi-packs.

You just can't get all of those for under $10, like this Multi-pack.

inframan
Yojimbo

Post by inframan »

Good to hear they have turned it around. I was pretty let down by their re-relases of BCI's stuff like Ultraman, Red Baron and Iron King. I still don't have a blu ray player...

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

My copy of this came in today. Still a bit peed that Amazon charged me full price as they never discounted it during the pre-order time.

Simple package, the cover art looks neat with the retro American evil Mothra, but it's not that spectacular in person. The disc is very plain looking, with just the titles listed, as well as a large advertisement about Mill Creek Direct's website.

The menu is just a simple 4-checker box with the titlecards for each movie.
I haven't watched any of the films on the disc yet, so I can only say about bits I skipped through.

The quality varies. There is a slight fuzz-factor with each film, as well as some pixel-spots. The best quality is The Giant Claw, which for the most part is clean beyond a slight fuzz. 20 Million Miles to Earth suffers from a little more fuzz, but it's not that noticeable.
Mothra is decent quality, almost as clear as the Icons of Toho print, but there is still a noticeable fuzz and some pixel grain. It Came from Beneath the Sea has a lot of pixel grain and appears to suffer the most for quality.

No bonus features. The color versions of the Harryhausen films are not included, and Mothra is only in English. No subtitles for any of the films.

Overall, it's watchable quality, but wait until it shows up in the $5 bin at Walmart. For Kaiju collectors, stick to the Icons of Toho set. I plan on picking up the Blu-rays for the Harryhausen films at some point, but this set will at least let me get my first over-due viewing of them.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Not terribly interested in the other films on this set and already own the "Icons" collection, so I may let this pass for now. Although, even with Motrha being dub-only, at the right price (like under $10), I'm always down for some giant-monster silliness, so who knows. Having the Harryhausen flicks and a copy of Giant Claw might be worth while.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Not sure if worth making a new thread for, but Mill Creek is hitting the other Toho Icon films with The H-man and Battle in Outer Space as part of a Sci-fi pack
http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Sci-Fi-Mo ... mill+creek

Some pretty interesting other titles in the set too. I think I will pick this up.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

If I run into it, I'll definitely buy it...
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

Pass. I already got the Toho Sci-Fi Collection DVD.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Gawdziller
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Gawdziller »

Yay 12 to the Moon! I'll buy that release just for the invisible helmet shields alone!
TEAM (Gareth) EDWARD(s)!
Legion1979 wrote:Oh yes, thank you for linking to a page with nothing but Japanese text. That was so damn helpful.
Brody wrote:I don't approve of any kind of sex that involves male genitalia
gzilla46 wrote: I've come up with WAY worse ideas than this.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Coverart and sellsheet

Gawdziller
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Gawdziller »

I like the runtime list. "Hours...and minutes...who cares."
TEAM (Gareth) EDWARD(s)!
Legion1979 wrote:Oh yes, thank you for linking to a page with nothing but Japanese text. That was so damn helpful.
Brody wrote:I don't approve of any kind of sex that involves male genitalia
gzilla46 wrote: I've come up with WAY worse ideas than this.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mothra os getting a blu ray steel book release in July.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2019 ... k-blu-ray/
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image