* Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Re: * Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Rampage, 20 Million Miles to Earth, and the All Monsters Attack DVD trailer compilation (not the Godzilla movie)

http://www.digitalmonsterisland.com/all ... _front.jpg
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

The 'Rampage' BRD and 'Dark Soldier D' DVD. Honestly, I feel like I own most Monster movies now save for the virtually unending Ultraman library (that, thankfully for my wallet, I don't feel compelled to buy because very little is licensed). The only purchases on the horizon are the R1 BRD of 'Daikaiju Mono' and Japanese BRD of 'Brave Storm' in August (with English subtitles, people!)

Not sure if I'll buy the 'City on the Edge of Battle' BRD. I bought the Collector's Edition for PotM but can't get too hyped about this one thanks to a lack of MechaG. =/
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Picked up Kong: Skull Island on blu-ray and Godzilla: The Series Complete Collection on DVD for my birthday. The former I haven't actually seen yet and the latter I'll probably will never watch again but wanted it for my collection.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

I'm an addict, guys: I bought...

* The Japanese 'Orochi Strikes Again' DVD
* An 'MM9' TV english subtitled DVD
* The 'Gamera: Gigantic Creature Council' DVD.

SO excited about all of them, but especially the last one. Why was I never aware of a 90-minute in-universe Hesei Gamera documentary? AMAZING! Haha I'll report more when I recieve it in the mail, but it was apparemtly a promotional DTV release that takes place between G2 and G3 and touches on everything from the origins of the Atlantean civilization and the science behind Gyaos' beam attacks and zodiac analysis, to how the government is reacting to recent events- all of it voiced through real members of Academia at the time. 65 minutes for the main features and an extra half-hour of interviews with the "cast". Though, admittedly, I'll probably need to hire someone to translate it for me to get the most out of it.

P.S- Everyone NEEDS to buy "The Big Book of Japanese Monsters: The Lost Films". The sheer amount of information on lost, indie, rare (I learned about the Gamera doc above from here) and fan films (Matango 2? Daimajin 4!?) in conjunction with proto, unfinished, and alternate scripts for films we all know and love is incredible. Not to mention the wonderful and in-deoth essays that do deep dives into ceetain historical influences of the fandom and the search for rare films unavailable to the west. As someone who thought he knew just about everything there was to know at this point...I'll happily admit I was wrong. Grab it now! =)
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

A friend of mine picked up the Gamera disc and IIRC wasn't too impressed with the outcome.

Definitely agree on the Lost Films, even if it unfortunately includes work done by a ginormous hack with a fake identity.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Ah. Too bad. Worth the money or not (Probs not considering what I paid for it), it will be a nice addition to my collection and assuredly fun to go through once. Out of curiousity, why was said friend disappointed? Too many talking heads?

There's basically 0 info in English about the thing online, so between your friend's experience you sharr and the one I'll post when I get/watch the feature, that might be the only exposure some get unless they buy the book. =P

And I assume you mean Sompote Sands? Yeah, he's a huge pos, but if you're looking to plumb the depths of the Kaiju subgenre...you need to talk about him. I think the book was rightfully disdainful of him, at least. It didn't even mention his other "kaiju" movies except in passing.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

phantomsdaydreams wrote:* The 'Gamera: Gigantic Creature Council' DVD.

SO excited about all of them, but especially the last one. Why was I never aware of a 90-minute in-universe Hesei Gamera documentary? AMAZING! Haha I'll report more when I recieve it in the mail, but it was apparemtly a promotional DTV release that takes place between G2 and G3 and touches on everything from the origins of the Atlantean civilization and the science behind Gyaos' beam attacks and zodiac analysis, to how the government is reacting to recent events- all of it voiced through real members of Academia at the time. 65 minutes for the main features and an extra half-hour of interviews with the "cast". Though, admittedly, I'll probably need to hire someone to translate it for me to get the most out of it.
What does this DVD look like? I'm only asking because I've got a DVD that's related to the Heisei trilogy in some way. It's packaged in a standard jewel case and the cover has Gamera's amulet.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

G-Matt wrote:
phantomsdaydreams wrote:* The 'Gamera: Gigantic Creature Council' DVD.

What does this DVD look like? I'm only asking because I've got a DVD that's related to the Heisei trilogy in some way. It's packaged in a standard jewel case and the cover has Gamera's amulet.
That's the one. =)
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

phantomsdaydreams wrote:
G-Matt wrote:What does this DVD look like? I'm only asking because I've got a DVD that's related to the Heisei trilogy in some way. It's packaged in a standard jewel case and the cover has Gamera's amulet.
That's the one. =)
Okay. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I was left pretty dumbfounded by it; after a decent amount of runtime it just seemed to stop on this one screen that kept looping. And no, it didn't seem to be a menu of any kind, but part of the main feature. If you can figure that out, I wanna hear it.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

phantomsdaydreams wrote:
And I assume you mean Sompote Sands? Yeah, he's a huge pos, but if you're looking to plumb the depths of the Kaiju subgenre...you need to talk about him. I think the book was rightfully disdainful of him, at least. It didn't even mention his other "kaiju" movies except in passing.
No, Ayame Chiba or whatever. A fake identity made up by some dude on Facebook who unfortunately tricked John LeMay.

I'll have to get back to you with sources or whatever, but this was all but confirmed around the time of the book's release.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

UltramanGoji wrote:
phantomsdaydreams wrote:
No, Ayame Chiba or whatever. A fake identity made up by some dude on Facebook who unfortunately tricked John LeMay.

I'll have to get back to you with sources or whatever, but this was all but confirmed around the time of the book's release.
Oh, shit. I had no idea. Regardless of the controversy though, I did enjoy the essay, so it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the book too much. Still. Why lie? Very strange.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

JetrellFo
Samurai

Post by JetrellFo »

I've been keeping my eye out for fairly priced Japan Millenium Series VHS and what I've noticed most on eBay is a resurgence in "convention tapes" showing up but not being described as such. The few I won I got cheap but there are others that are priced equal to and sometimes more than the "real" Japan VHS releases.

It sucks.

:(

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I have Godzilla (1954; also contains Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956)) (The Criterion Collection; first pressing), King Kong Escapes (Universal), The Bloodthirsty Trilogy, Warning from Space and The Invisible Man Appears/The Invisible Man vs. the Human Fly (all Arrow Video (U.S. versions; first pressings)), The Return of Godzilla (Studio 23 Films/Kraken Releasing), Godzilla vs. Biollante (Miramax/Echo Bridge), Rebirth of Mothra I II III and Godzilla 2000: Millennium (both Sony/Tristar) and The Ultimate Gamera Collection Volume 1 and Volume 2, The Gamera Trilogy, The Daimajin Trilogy, Mothra (SteelBook version) and Sci-Fi Double Feature: The H-Man/Battle in Outer Space (all Mill Creek Entertainment) on Blu-ray.

I also have both Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island on Target exclusive DVD/Blu-ray combos and both Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) and Godzilla vs. Kong on DVD/Blu-ray combos (all four Legendary/Warner Brothers).

Finally, I also have Shin Godzilla (FUNimation) on DVD/Blu-ray combo.

The rest of my tokusatsu and non-tokusatsu films and TV shows I mostly have on DVD mainly because Blu-ray doesn't exist for most of them or, if it does, I just haven't bought them - yet. They are:

The Criterion Collection and Eclipse Films
*Equinox (also contains the original version of the film, The Equinox... A Journey into the Supernatural (1967)) (first pressing)
*When Horror Came to Shochiku (contains The X from Outer Space/Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell/The Living Skeleton/Genocide) (first pressing)

Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock (all except the last one are OOP)
*The Mysterians
*Varan
*Matango
*Atragon
*Dogora
*Frankenstein vs. Baragon (a.k.a. Frankenstein Conquers the World)
*Space Amoeba
*Monster X Strikes Back: Attack the G8 Summit
*Gappa the Triphibian Monster (second pressing) (DVD-R)

Universal
*Tarantula (DVD-R, Universal Vault Series) (DVD-R)
*Tremors: 7-Movie Collection
*Tremors: The Complete Series
*King Kong (2005) (Deluxe Extended Edition)

Warner Brothers
*Them! (first pressing)
*Little Shop of Horrors: The Director's Cut (1986)
*The Iron Giant (Signature Edition)

Paramount
Dragonslayer

Classic Media/Dreamworks
*Rodan and War of the Gargantuas (first pressing)

Shout! Factory
*Ultra Q: The Complete Series *
*Ultra Seven: The Complete Series *
*Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot: The Complete Series

Mill Creek Entertainment
*Ultraman: The Complete Series *
*Godzilla: The Series - The Complete Animated Series

Sinister Cinema (both gray market bootleg DVD-R releases)
*Rainbow Man
*The Whale God

MGM
*The Angry Red Planet (Midnite Movies)
*Yongary, Monster from the Deep/Konga (Midnite Movies Double Feature)

VCI Entertainment
*Gorgo

Something Weird Video/Image Entertainment
*Swedish Double Feature: Terror in the Midnight Sun/Invasion of the Animal People (Special Edition)

Sony/Tristar
*Godzilla (1998)

Magnolia Home Entertainment
*Pulse (Japanese version)

Dimension Home Entertainment and Dimension Home Entertainment/Dimension Extreme
*Pulse (unrated American version)
*Pulse 2 a.k.a. Pulse 2: Afterlife
*Pulse 3 a.k.a. Pulse 3: Invasion

* These three releases I hope to get on Blu-ray SteelBook versions someday.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:15 am, edited 100 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Bought 1984 and Vs The Sea Monster due to a sale for both blu-rays for about 5 bucks each. Glad I found them, as they were the only Godzilla movies I haven't seen I've been having trouble finding.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Pacific Rim: Uprising on Blu-ray...

I'm not really a fan of the film...but I wanted it in my collection
& I did want to listen to audio commentary...which didn't really
give me any great insights into the film.

Ugh...

I really wanted this film to be better than what it was.
Last edited by Grievous on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I don't really know a place to ask this, but I'm curious. Anyone 'round these parts have a blu-ray burner?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Grievous wrote: Ugh...

I really wanted this film to be better than what it was.
You and me both, brother.
It wasn't a complete mess but damn if it wasn't a slap in the face to everything that made the first one so good and everyone who liked it.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Titanoterror98 wrote:You and me both, brother.
It wasn't a complete mess but damn if it wasn't a slap in the face to everything that made the first one so good and everyone who liked it.
I think the Pacific Rim story was told perfectly in one film...
but of they did have to make another film...they should
have made a prequel based on the stories from the "Tales
From Year Zero" comic book.

Make it an anthology film featuring the stories of:

~ K-Day: Trespasser's (the first kaiju) attack & defeat...
~ Turn of the Tide: The creation of Brawler Yukon, the perfection
of the "drifting" tech & the first ever Kaiju/Jaeger fight with Brawler
Yukon taking on & killing Karloff (the fourth kaiju)...
~ The Bond: The deeper story of the Coyote Tango/Onibaba fight
detailing what happened inside the jaeger & how Stacker was able to
finish the fight on his own...as well as his adoption of Mako Mori...

That is what I would have liked to have seen in a Pacific Rim film.
Last edited by Grievous on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Just got Sony's double feature of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mothra. Anybody else get somewhat annoyed that Sony mostly just releases their Godzilla films as double features? Especially since Godzilla 2000 was released on its own, while Godzilla vs. Destroyah and Godzilla vs. Megaguirus are bundled together. That just bugs me cause it's gonna fuck up my display once I get a proper shelf.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Dr. Professor wrote:Just got Sony's double feature of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mothra. Anybody else get somewhat annoyed that Sony mostly just releases their Godzilla films as double features? Especially since Godzilla 2000 was released on its own, while Godzilla vs. Destroyah and Godzilla vs. Megaguirus are bundled together. That just bugs me cause it's gonna skreeonk up my display once I get a proper shelf.
Not to mention all those gaps that are just in the Classic Media set...

Yes, the dream of a perfect shelf-display Godzilla home media collection belongs solely to the Japanese right now. :(
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!