* Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Jory
Monarch Researcher

Re: * Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

Post by Jory »

Image Image

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

- Shin Godzilla (Hong Kong Blu-ray)
- Gappa (a German DVD)
- Garuda (Thai DVD)
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Seems like Amazon just got some copies of the Media Blasters titles as they are up on there for like $30 each. Pricier than I would like, but at this point I can't be picky with FCTW and Space Amoeba.

rob559
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob559 »

I picked up 3 of the Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock DVDs Frankenstein/Conqers, Dogora, Space Amoeba. All are original discs. I thought they were out of print, so picked them up. My copy of Frankenstein has a glitch when trying to watch the international version from the menu,movie will not play/start. If I start from the chapters it starts the movie after the Japanese army have received the heart. Everything else plays fine. I seem to remember hearing this disc had mastering/authoring problems when it came years ago, so I put off buying the disc, lost track of time and it became out of print. Anyone else remember this?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

You must've bought those from Amazon right? I did a ton of research and it seems like it's a legit product.

Though they're a bit expensive, Toho just announced new blu rays. So I might hold off a bit longer.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

rob559
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob559 »

yes , I got them from Amazon. $29.99 not great, but I've seen much higher prices. Are those Toho announced blu rays coming to the U.S. or just Japan?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Just Japan for now, but I'm hopeful.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Yeah, Toho just announced them in Japan, but that means nothing for us as they won't even have English Subtitles.

Which version of FCTW is the international version? I've only seen the one where he is swallowed by the Earth. Although, due to the beginning of WotG, the octopus ending probably makes more sense.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Japan has the same BR region as us, so you'll be able to view the new (maybe?) special features at least.

For English subs, you can probably expect some bootlegs of the new BRs to hit the market.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Which version of FCTW is the international version?
The one with the octopus ending.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

rob559
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob559 »

Yes, the International version has the octopus ending. The disc has the Japanese, English and International versions.
The octopus ending is also an extra. Hopefully Son of Godzilla will see a blu ray release soon. I only have the old VHS tape. But it does have the Titra english dub.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

UltramanGoji wrote:For English subs, you can probably expect some bootlegs of the new BRs to hit the market.
I will never buy a bootleg. If I have to pirate, I will download it for free. However, I see no reason to do so since official copies have been released in the US even if it is DVD.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Damn, didn't grab Atragon when it was available and now it's gone from Amazon. Looks like those Tokyo Shock ones are going fast.

Latitude Zero is under $20 right now.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If Amazon is sold out, check eBay. I got my copy of Atragon there recently for less than $30.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Yeah, I'm super skeptical of buying on eBay. Feels so easy to get a bootleg.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Yeah, I'm super skeptical of buying on eBay. Feels so easy to get a bootleg.
Just check with the seller to confirm it's not a boot and make sure they have good feedback and you should be fine
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

YES!!! My Media Blasters Toho collection is finally complete (at least, I believe they only did 8 movies).

Godzilla21 wrote:
Mr. Yellow wrote:Yeah, I'm super skeptical of buying on eBay. Feels so easy to get a bootleg.
Just check with the seller to confirm it's not a boot and make sure they have good feedback and you should be fine
Sellers aren't going to tell you the truth. I got a Supergirl Season 1 BD for Xmas that one of my friends bought off ebay, but it was a bootleg. The discs were black colored, the episode booklet was improperly folded, there were no disc menus, there was no digital copy included or even listed on the packaging (like it is on EVERY CW package), and the slipcase that was wrapped up had a deformed front as if it was bent in the printing process or something sticky got stuck to it. The seller swore it was a legit copy and he had a 99% positive.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote: Sellers aren't going to tell you the truth. I got a Supergirl Season 1 BD for Xmas that one of my friends bought off ebay, but it was a bootleg. The discs were black colored, the episode booklet was improperly folded, there were no disc menus, there was no digital copy included or even listed on the packaging (like it is on EVERY CW package), and the slipcase that was wrapped up had a deformed front as if it was bent in the printing process or something sticky got stuck to it. The seller swore it was a legit copy and he had a 99% positive.
I've been using eBay since 1998 (back when you MAILED in your seller fees and they didn't require a credit card to register) and I've never had a problem with a high rated seller sending a bootleg as long as I've asked them before. There might be situations like yours where perhaps it was an honest mistake. Either way you have protection built in with PayPal and eBay and it's a situation easily remedied
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I can guarantee that you'll be getting an official release and not a DVD-R, at least for Atragon, Latitude Zero, and Dogora.

If my word isn't enough, just take a look at the return address I received my DVDs from:

Now if that isn't a big enough confirmation, I don't know what is.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Godzilla21 wrote:Either way you have protection built in with PayPal and eBay and it's a situation easily remedied
Yes, but I shouldn't have to. It is a hassle just to return something from ebay.