* Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: * Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

Post by Terasawa »

G1985 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:50 pm
Terasawa wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:34 pm KotM and GvK are dollar bin purchases for me. I enjoyed GvK but I don't anticipate watching it more than maybe a couple more times the rest of my life, lol. :shrug: I'd be buying them only to complete my collection, so the lower the price, the better. /2¢
For those of us who are interested in the 3D and Steelbook versions (both of which tend to get a single production run and sell out quickly), buying the films on release date is the only way to get them at the "lowest price".
My saying I'll buy them at bargain prices wasn't supposed to be a condemnation of those who buy the films on day one... :?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Just got GvK on 4K, not only for completion's sake, but because I actually enjoyed the movie.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

KManX89 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:00 pm Just got GvK on 4K, not only for completion's sake, but because I actually enjoyed the movie.
Yes! I knew I wasn’t the only one.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:23 am
KManX89 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:00 pm Just got GvK on 4K, not only for completion's sake, but because I actually enjoyed the movie.

Same here. In fact, I unabashedly consider it my number one favorite of the Monsterverse films we've gotten so far.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Amazon really is a cluster right now. I guess i have to endure them to guaranty pre-ordering more niche items, but never again for a general release. I have no idea when I'm getting GvK. I pre-ordered over a week ago (I could order it right now AGAIN and get it tomorrow according to their site), but as of now, according to my bank, I've been charged for it 3 times (and refunded twice), which comes out to a net charge of one time. I would have canceled on Tuesday and just bought it at walmart, but thats when all this mess started. The delivery date is still Next Tuesday June 22nd, but the dumb thing still hasn't shipped yet....so frustrating. My Ultra releases are going something similar, although at least one of them shipped.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

After looking at two local Walmarts and finding absolutely nothing at either of them, I finally got my DVD/Blu-ray combo of Godzilla vs. Kong at my local FYE!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

o.supreme wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:54 am Amazon really is a cluster right now. I guess i have to endure them to guaranty pre-ordering more niche items, but never again for a general release. I have no idea when I'm getting GvK. I pre-ordered over a week ago (I could order it right now AGAIN and get it tomorrow according to their site), but as of now, according to my bank, I've been charged for it 3 times (and refunded twice), which comes out to a net charge of one time. I would have canceled on Tuesday and just bought it at walmart, but thats when all this mess started. The delivery date is still Next Tuesday June 22nd, but the dumb thing still hasn't shipped yet....so frustrating. My Ultra releases are going something similar, although at least one of them shipped.
Amazingly (no pun intended), I also pre-ordered from Amazon and it was gonna be arriving on time, but they strangely made a few last second out-of-town deliveries on their way to my place and it didn't arrive until Wednesday. And mind you, this was at 10 PM!
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I'll never understand why people pre-order movies like GvK from online stores like Amazon, or online in general. You'll be waiting for it to arrive longer than it'd take to just to go to your nearest Walmart or Target. With that said...

Picked up Ultra Galaxy and Ultraman Zero complete series, and ordered The Giant Behemoth and King Kong '76 blu-rays.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:48 am I'll never understand why people pre-order movies like GvK from online stores like Amazon, or online in general. You'll be waiting for it to arrive longer than it'd take to just to go to your nearest Walmart or Target.
Once upon a time, Amazon made sure that a) you received your pre-ordered movie on the day of release, and 2) Amazon shipped your movie in a box and not an envelope, so it couldn't be crushed.

On the other hand, once upon a time my local Wal-Mart and Best Buy made sure that all new releases were taken out of the warehouse and could be found on the shelf at the minute of store opening on the day of release.

Because the latter can't be trusted to stock movies on the day of release, I still do the former.
Last edited by G1985 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

G1985 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:59 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:48 am I'll never understand why people pre-order movies like GvK from online stores like Amazon, or online in general. You'll be waiting for it to arrive longer than it'd take to just to go to your nearest Walmart or Target.
Once upon a time, Amazon made sure that a) you received your pre-ordered movie on the day of release, and 2) Amazon shipped your movie in a box and not an envelope, so it couldn't be crushed.

On the other hand, once upon a time my local Wal-Mart and Best Buy made sure that all new releases were taken out of the warehouse and could be found on the shelf at the minute of store opening on the day of release.

Because the latter can't be trusted to stock movies on the day of release, I still do the former.
I've never had an issue getting a newly released movie from a store, be it Wal-Mart, Target or FYE. But maybe that's just the area I'm in? On the other hand, I've watched tracking for movies remain at my post office for at least a day before arriving the next afternoon. The reason I only get the more niche releases online and just make the drive to buy whatever new release is out I want.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I just don't get what the rush is. If it's some limited edition thing that's going to sell out quickly, then sure, preordering makes sense. Otherwise, it's like... this disk is going to sit on thousands of store shelves for months or even years to come. Unless you just want to be first, why stress about getting it on release day?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:59 pm The new King Kong 1976 Blu-ray.
Leviarex wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 pm
Same here. In fact, I unabashedly consider it my number one favorite of the Monsterverse films we've gotten so far.
I, too, have recently added these to my Kong BRD collection:

Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

When I realized I NEVER watched G14 and KOTM even once when I bought them on bluray, I decided I didn't need GvsK on physical media. Streaming is good enough for me when it comes to the Monsterverse.

Just ordered the Ultra Galaxy series and movie set from Amazon.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:49 am
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:59 pm The new King Kong 1976 Blu-ray.
Leviarex wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 pm

I, too, have recently added these to my Kong BRD collection:

Image Image
Life will be complete and the universe can reset itself once we get the greatest sequel in history in a collector's BR release...

Quote of the Year:

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

If Shout! can do KK '76, they should be able to do King Kong Lives. NGL, instead of thinking of KKvG during the heart jump scene, I thought of KKL lol.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:25 am I just don't get what the rush is. If it's some limited edition thing that's going to sell out quickly, then sure, preordering makes sense. Otherwise, it's like... this disk is going to sit on thousands of store shelves for months or even years to come. Unless you just want to be first, why stress about getting it on release day?
Depends on one's perspective. Retailer exclusives are nearly always very temporary, so if you want a digibook, steelbook, etc, you'll need to act quickly. Lots of collectors also like slipcovers, which often last only months before the studio tops producing them (this varies by Hollywood studio). Certain other aspects can be limited as well. Arrow releases will often have a booklet on early pressings, but later won't. If you're a big fan of the movie, you may want to see it in the best PAQ possible, and even a good HD or UHD stream will not match picture or audio quality of Blu-ray or 4K Blu-ray, respectively. For others, none of this matters/matters as much if you can get it for a lower price in a year or later.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I'm in no rush to buy Godzilla vs. Kong either, but I'll probably pick it up next time I'm at a brick and mortar store, largely for completist's sake.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I ordered The Bermuda Depths (which apparently features a giant turtle, so it counts here) and The Horror of Dracula Warner Archives Blu-rays from Amazon. Both will be here today.

EDIT: And I picked up the G14 4K from Walmart.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

Just splurged and bought the Tokyo Shock Frankenstein, Mysterians, Varan, and Matango DVDS. My wallet is not happy, but once they come in, I will be.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

KingCornetto wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:24 am Just splurged and bought the Tokyo Shock Frankenstein, Mysterians, Varan, and Matango DVDS. My wallet is not happy, but once they come in, I will be.
And on that note, I've been wondering if these are worth picking up. I know the Varan DVD is supposed to be garbage, but what about the others? They're a bit on the pricy side for DVDs, but if they're good quality releases* of their respective films, I'll definitely want them. There's no telling when/if Blu-rays will come along.

*Relatively speaking, of course; I know how Toho is with releasing its films outside of Japan.