What Godzilla movies do you own?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Re: What Godzilla movies do you own?

Post by the-killer-wc »

Just got my last custom box set, now I can display my collection in this neat way. And so far I have all the movies in bluray, including biollante. The neat thing about this set is that it has a slot available on the monsterverse case for when Godzilla vs Kong releases.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Oooh, snappy!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Those do look nice, but I'm not sure if I get the need to split the Heisei and Millenium films into two volumes.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

gomezm6
Ronin

Post by gomezm6 »

Due to import companies such as the Godzilla Superstore in Chicago (which still has its internet site working, though the physical store seems to have closed), as well as access, I am lucky to own every single Godzilla film on DVD (except All Monsters Attacks which I have never been a fan of and refuse to buy, even though it is a film easy to obtain), along with Gojira, Return of Godzilla, Godzilla 2000, Shin Godzilla, and the Monsterverse films on Blu-Ray. I remember also ordering via a company, Revok Film Prodigies, back in 1996 the unreleased 1990-1995 Godzilla Heisei films on VHS, which I was extremely excited about collecting, before obtaining the DVD versions about 10 years ago.
Thanks also to Classic Media, the import companies, and luck, all the versions include the Japanese versions, which I have found to be higher class than many of the American edits.
Last edited by gomezm6 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

All Showa films, 91-95 Heisei, GINO, All Millennium, All MV, Shin and technically the Anime films.
For Emperor and Empire!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Everything but G14 and the anime films and I don't really have any interest of ever owning them.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

All of em on Blu-ray, except for the anime trilogy, which I still haven't seen. I need to get on that now that I have Netflix...

I also have the old Classic Media DVDs, which are worth keeping for the great bonus features.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

All on Blu Ray minus the unavailable Anime Trilogy. Monsterverse is 4K, G98 is 4K. I sell the older formats as they become obsolete or replaced by newer formats or newer releases.

I would be shocked to find a high number of Toho Kingdom fans who DON'T own them all...just seems like that is the type of fan you would find on here.

I obviously like some a WHOLE lot more than others...but with Godzilla I'm just a bit of a "completist" I suppose.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Chrispy_G wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:32 pmI obviously like some a WHOLE lot more than others...but with Godzilla I'm just a bit of a "completist" I suppose.
Same, it's the only IP where I just *have* to own all of the films, even though there's a fair amount that I hardly ever watch.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:45 pm
Chrispy_G wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:32 pmI obviously like some a WHOLE lot more than others...but with Godzilla I'm just a bit of a "completist" I suppose.
Same, it's the only IP where I just *have* to own all of the films, even though there's a fair amount that I hardly ever watch.
And of course...I WOULD have such an inclination for the LONGEST franchise in film history....

MegaGoji
Ronin

Post by MegaGoji »

DVD:

-Mothra vs Godzilla (classic media)
-Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster (classic media)
-G 98'
-Godzilla The Series

Blu-Ray:

-Criterion the Showa Era Films
-Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
-Godzilla vs Gigan
-The Return of Godzilla
-GVB
-All of the Sony double features
-All the Monsterverse movies
-Shin Godzilla

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Considering the anime trilogy probably won't ever hit Blu Ray(and I have a real distaste of them)...and the anime series will likely exist as a Netflix exclusive in the same way, considering stuff like the 70s cartoon, the 90s cartoon either exist only partially on DVD or on fairly low quality DVD releases....and considering that I find it to be an increasing chore to sit through my least favorite of the films, and that over time, I'm gaining a general fatigue of the aging films....I'm considering unloading a lot of my collection. Something like time travel has become one of my most loathed film concepts in recent years, and it taints the entirety of the Heisei Continuity....not that continuity was ever a strong element of Godzilla films, which is another annoyance. G98 is terrible. Millennium series is super uneven.

Everyone has their own opinion, but for me the Monsterverse is the perfect modern incarnation of the character. I'm happy to own those 4 films, and they represent an amalgam of most of my favorite concepts from across all of Godzilla lore...all in this perfect 4 film sequence. I know going forward they will be the movies I want to re-watch and revisit a lot more than any of the vintage films.

A hot take, I know.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

If you do unload your films, please consider donating at least some to libraries near you. Even though it might seem something of a long shot, it could be someone's first exposure to the franchise. An anecdotal for-instance: I know at my library in the middle of bumfuck-nowhere, USA, the Godzilla films are checked out more often than more "popular" sci-fi classics like Alien, ID4, etc. And while obviously circumstances are different today than when I was a kid, I can't express just how fortunate I was to discover a lot of fantastic and obscure movies (Godzilla/kaiju genre or otherwise) through my local libraries.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:11 pm If you do unload your films, please consider donating at least some to libraries near you. Even though it might seem something of a long shot, it could be someone's first exposure to the franchise. An anecdotal for-instance: I know at my library in the middle of bumfuck-nowhere, USA, the Godzilla films are checked out more often than more "popular" sci-fi classics like Alien, ID4, etc. And while obviously circumstances are different today than when I was a kid, I can't express just how fortunate I was to discover a lot of fantastic and obscure movies (Godzilla/kaiju genre or otherwise) through my local libraries.
I remember when I was 18 or 19 giving one of my friends some of the older dvds to a younger friend of mine after purchasing the blu-rays. In any case, Godzilla films should always be something that could/should easily be passed on.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:11 pm If you do unload your films, please consider donating at least some to libraries near you. Even though it might seem something of a long shot, it could be someone's first exposure to the franchise. An anecdotal for-instance: I know at my library in the middle of bumfuck-nowhere, USA, the Godzilla films are checked out more often than more "popular" sci-fi classics like Alien, ID4, etc. And while obviously circumstances are different today than when I was a kid, I can't express just how fortunate I was to discover a lot of fantastic and obscure movies (Godzilla/kaiju genre or otherwise) through my local libraries.
I can’t believe it took someone else pointing this out for me to realize it’s the perfect option. I’ve got a growing stack of dvds and even some blu rays that I’ve been contemplating how to get rid of as I’ve upgraded to better releases. Gamera, Daimajin, soon the Sam Katzman set (and if I ever track down reasonable priced BD’s, King Kong ‘33, Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, etc. Curse my tardiness to upgrade and letting them go out of print!!!)

I was looking at putting them on eBay but dreading the effort of wasting that much time and energy for little if any profit after the fees and shipping. I was thinking of just giving them away anyway, but the library is a much better option than just putting them on the neighborhood Facebook “buy nothing” page!
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:11 pm If you do unload your films, please consider donating at least some to libraries near you. Even though it might seem something of a long shot, it could be someone's first exposure to the franchise.
This is a fantastic idea that would probably never have occurred to me. I'll most likely go this route if I ever decide to offload my own redundant kaiju media. I always loved searching for Godzilla VHS tapes at the library when I was a kid, and that was how I saw KOTM '56 for the first time. It's be great to be able to pass that experience on to some hypothetical future kid.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

I used to own King Kong Lives on DVD. I donated it to my local library back in 2012 because I never watched it.

Now that DVD is out of print and used copies are listed online for at least $40 from third-party sellers.

Do I regret this decision? Kind of.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:08 am
I remember when I was 18 or 19 giving one of my friends some of the older dvds to a younger friend of mine after purchasing the blu-rays. In any case, Godzilla films should always be something that could/should easily be passed on.
My nephew is a big fan, who already has a few Godzilla(and King Kong, of course) action figures. He would be my #1 choice, as he and his sister both enjoy the movies.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Back in the days of VHS before I was married and had kids, if any of my parents friends had younger kids, I would make VHS copies of Godzilla films and give to them. Not sure how many new fans that generated, but I'd like to hope.

I've not unloaded any of my Kaiju DVD's, but my kids and their friends seem to be pretty savvy about finding things online. If they ever want to watch a specific film, I try to burn it to a dvd for them or put it on a flash drive (which they think is old school, but I explain to them, there aren't links to everything...yet).
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I guess technically the only Godzilla film I dont have on blu ray, not counting the anime, is Godzilla vs Kong. I need to get around to that. Obviously, Im most excited to have Godzilla vs Biollante on blu ray, considering the prices it goes for.