Looking for very rare Godzilla on Monster Island film print.

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Tamura
EDF Instructor

Re: Looking for very rare Godzilla on Monster Island film pr

Post by Tamura »

^ I know that the CS logo was removed from SciFi showings...

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

o.supreme wrote:pphillips22 or anyone else... can you tell if the Astral Video of GOMI features the CS logo at the beginning?
According to Baradagi, the Astral Video tape has the original Cinema Shares logo.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

pphillips22
Ronin

Post by pphillips22 »

The box art has Cimema Shares next to Godzilla on the left. Are you asking if it is present while watching the movie? I can check tonight and confirm. Am I happy to have this tape? To be honest I never thought much of it. I was dissapointed when I first got it as it is Godzilla vs Gigan. I thought it was another movie entirely. It has sat in a box for some time.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

A rare VHS release of GODZILLA ON MONSTER ISLAND is on eBay right now. It ends on the 13th at noon, Pacific time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODZILLA-VS-GIG ... 3Atop%3Aen
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

wataru wrote:I like how that says Letterbox Widescreen then the description says pan & scan.
I do too. :P The seller also claims in his description that this is a different dubbed version, which is also untrue. He also has a couple other Godzilla movies listed, so I guess he probably just reused the description for each one, only substituting the names of the movies and a couple other minor things.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

wataru wrote:...or the box is wrong.
Yes, that's a possibility, but I think it's unlikely.

In the 90s, Sinister Cinema released a number of films in widescreen, though often in the wrong aspect ratio (INFRA-MAN, which was filmed and projected at 2.35:1, was released by Sinister at 1.85:1). It's been documented in a book, online and in their own catalog that Sinister Cinema released GODZILLA ON MONSTER ISLAND on VHS around this same time.

In the eBay auction, the tape has no mention of Sinister, at least on the front cover. However, the "Midnight Matinee" font is identical to the one Sinister has used for years. I think this is the Sinister Cinema release, and I think the transfer is letterboxed, as advertised.

By the way, here's the same seller's description of GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER. I also reposted his description of MONSTER ISLAND below.
GODZILLA VS THE SEA MONSTER (1967) - Color/ pan and scan - in English language - this is the 1960's Americanized version that we all grew up watching on the 4:30 Movie - the English soundtrack on this video is not the one currently available on DVD !!!
GODZILLA ON MONSTER ISLAND (1972) - aka "GODZILLA VS GIGAN" - Color/ pan and scan - in English language - this is the 1970's Americanized version that we all grew up watching on the 4:30 Movie - the English soundtrack on this video is not the same one currently available on DVD !!!
I'm pretty sure the box is right.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

pphillips22
Ronin

Post by pphillips22 »

I can't believe it's up to 32 US. I assumed GOMI was just a cheap release not worth much.

I can confirm that Cinema Shares and the CS logo are on this print.

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla6014 »

Just wanted to confirm everyone that was using this thread that I was the won the auction on Godzilla on Monster Island VHS. :huge: Always love when luck comes my way.
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.