Godzilla Final Wars German DVD

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Godzilla Final Wars German DVD

Post by Rockzilla »

I heard there was a German DVD of Final wars that didn't have the ugly color filters the US/Japanese version has. Is this true or just bs?

Ethan
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla Final Wars German DVD

Post by Ethan »

Is is true. G-Matt did a comparsion on the old boards. It appears though, the German DVD doesn't look as nice as Sony's. But it could be a template to attempt and correct the film, I tried that a while ago:
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Yes, it is indeed true. I was honestly quite surprised when I first took a look at the German DVD. While the removal of the color tints does work in some scenes, there are also a few scenes where the result isn't as good as you'd hope.

A couple of scenes where the color tints' removal works are Kamacuras attacking the battleship Eclair and Ebirah fighting the mutant soldiers. Both have more natural colors. Especially in the latter you'll notice some fine details like the green grass and the blue sky. Then, on the worse side, we find scenes like the motorcycle chase, where quite a few shots look pretty pale when the blue tint is removed.

Also, like Ethan indicated, the video on the German DVD has other problems. Most notably, the print isn't in such a pristine condition when compared to the Japanese and US DVDs. There is some notable print damage at times.

I would gladly do a comparison again, but unfortunately I'm unable to do it at the moment (some issues with our PC). If you can wait for a while, I'll post some screencaps sometime later.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

^ What language are the credits/text sequences in, G-Matt?

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Tamura wrote:^ What language are the credits/text sequences in, G-Matt?
They are in the original form, or in other words Japanese and English. However, all the location titles (EDF Museum, New York City etc.) have been removed for some reason.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

Is there anyway you can re-up the comparison shots? I am really curious to see the differences.