Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by Chrispy_G »

o.supreme wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:53 pm A Heisei/Millennium set might be nice for fans that dont already own the films. But they all exist already on Blu Ray in North America. There are no alternate dubs. The only way the set could be of any value would be the inclusion of Godzilla 1985, along with RoG (Toho english dub, and the original audio of course), but Toho is never going to allow it.
True. Not a lot of variet and variation for the films.

The Heisei films get a little less discussion and analysis than the original series...so some commentaries, essays, booklets...anything of that nature for those films would be great.

The poster artwork from Ohrai are DEMANDING to he used for art cards or cover art or something.

And yeah. As a film I don't care for 85 as an alternate version, but almost purely out of respect to Raymond Burr it is worth including in some form. In his own way he fought to keep that film from being made a mockery of.

A cool case with all of them in it would be half the fun. Imagine a set that "matched" the Showa Set? Booklet, dimensions, disc count, etc....it would be a lot of fun if the stars aligned for Criterion to group all of the films up into sets under their label.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

......okay...

Toho wouldn't let Criterion include commentaries or alternate English versions. They also did not use poster art for the their set and instead commissioned new art from various artists.

That said, why would a hypothetical Criterion Heisei set include commentaries, Ohrai poster art or "Godzilla 1985"?

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Criterion would never touch Heisei Godzilla. Arrow could... And I will be there if they do!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Lecontinentperdu wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:09 am Criterion would never touch Heisei Godzilla. Arrow could... And I will be there if they do!
Arrow couldn't give you anything the other companies who put out the Heisei series didn't.

If you have the Krakken Return of Godzilla disc, the Echo Bridge Biollante release and everything Sony put out, you have everything Criterion or Arrow would also be able to release.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

What the world needs is a Godzilla fan to come into power at Toho that wants to preserve as much if the Godzilla films as possible. I would love something like this.

Ghidorah Ghidorah the three headed monster
Orginal uncut Japanese version 4k
New international dub for Japanese version
Orginal English dub version DVD or Blu ray quality.

I'd love a new set with all the showa films preserved in this way.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:54 pm
Lecontinentperdu wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:09 am Criterion would never touch Heisei Godzilla. Arrow could... And I will be there if they do!
Arrow couldn't give you anything the other companies who put out the Heisei series didn't.

If you have the Krakken Return of Godzilla disc, the Echo Bridge Biollante release and everything Sony put out, you have everything Criterion or Arrow would also be able to release.
That and Arrow, specifically James Flower during the promotion for the new Gamera set, said they weren't interested in dealing with Toho for anything in the future. After they hamstrung Criterion, it's no surprise really.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:54 pm If you have the Krakken Return of Godzilla disc, the Echo Bridge Biollante release and everything Sony put out, you have everything Criterion or Arrow would also be able to release.
Except for Destoroyah and Megaguirus being in chronological order on my movie shelf. :(
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Sorry, for Criterion vs Arrow, I meant that as an editorial thing, not a technical thing. I know they won't, alas. I have all Heisei on DVD, tho. A nice comprehensive BD set would be neat anyway.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:54 pm Arrow couldn't give you anything the other companies who put out the Heisei series didn't.

Maybe, maybe not. Echo Bridge managed to secure special features previously unavailable in the US, and even Sony's Blu-rays had a few Japanese-market trailers and I think the occasional behind-the-scenes video.

Anyone expecting Arrow to bring a new 4K transfer of Spacegodzilla or Godzila 1985 can expect disappointment, but a few bonus features is believably possible. Guaranteed? Definitely not.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Any bonus features would just be ported over from Japanese releases, but that's certainly not a given.

That said, I dont know why we're even having this conversation. Arrow has made it clear they're not interested in dealing with Toho and I doubt Criterion is in much of a rush to deal with their shit again either.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

My thoughts were PURELY hypothetical, I thought that was obvious. I was not saying "Oh a Criterion set would mean this this and this" I was saying that A...ANY set for the Heisei era could IN THEORY have some cool things.

Toho seemed quite accommodating when Criterion restored and released the original Godzilla film in 1954. Two versions of the film, each with their own audio commentary, and ample bonus materials. The Showa set is where they seemed to get quite restrictive.

You never know how their stance and approach might change. Heck, remember when Classic Media originally had to throw out barebones full screen DVDs and then later they were able to put out DVDs with both versions and commentary and bonus features?

All I'm saying is that Toho's approach hasn't been terribly consistent or easy to predict. It isn't like they have always had a 100% embargo on any US releases including any of the goodies we felt deprived of with the Criterion set.

Hindsight is 20/20, and all it would take is some wild new announcement of something super impressive and comprehensive release for us to go "Oh, Toho is being very cooperative with this one"

All of this discussion is purely hypothetical and 'wish list' territory. Not much of a point in pulling the "Bro even if Criterion got the rights Toho wouldn't let them do XYZ even though they let them do it for the original movie just not the rest" card.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

It'd just be nice to have Biollante in print again, and for anyone who hasn't purchased the Heisei/Millennium Godzilla films yet to have them in a nice box set.
Friends don't lie.

John Schuermann
Samurai

Post by John Schuermann »

Tohosaurus wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:03 pmAnyone expecting Arrow to bring a new 4K transfer of Spacegodzilla or Godzila 1985 can expect disappointment...
Any transfer of SpaceGodzilla brings disappointment.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

John Schuermann wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 pm
Tohosaurus wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:03 pmAnyone expecting Arrow to bring a new 4K transfer of Spacegodzilla or Godzila 1985 can expect disappointment...
Any transfer of SpaceGodzilla brings disappointment.
Daaaaaaaaamn lemme go get some aloe for that burn
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

I think the most important thing that could happen with the Heisei Series films in North America at this point would just be for any distributor to license Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mothra from Toho and put those movies back on the home media market with new blu-ray releases, since their prior releases all seem to be out of print. There are new Godzilla fans every year and right now those are the only three live-action Godzilla movies that new fans can't readily obtain on physical media.

Of course I'd love to get Criterion-translated subtitles for all of the Heisei and Millennium films. I don't expect Criterion to go for any of them, but then again, the strong sales for their Showa set might be encouraging.

Spuro wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:13 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:54 pm If you have the Krakken Return of Godzilla disc, the Echo Bridge Biollante release and everything Sony put out, you have everything Criterion or Arrow would also be able to release.
Except for Destoroyah and Megaguirus being in chronological order on my movie shelf. :(
Weird, they're already in chronological order on my shelf. ;)

(Anyone can do this.)

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The Criterion set had strong sales, but that doesn't necessarily mean a second set of somewhat newer titles that don't have the pop culture awareness of the Showa series would sell just as well or justify dealing with Toho again.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Other posters have brought up an interesting and valid point. There is a reason to root for some kind of Heisei set(From anyone) beyond the (Futile) hope of improved transfers/subs/bonus content....and that is the fact that having the films in one set, that is IN PRINT, is an appealing thing for current fans and an attractive convenience for new fans.

How many people who otherwise may not have ever collected every Showa Godzilla film NOW owns them all because they were all put together on Blu Ray at a good price(for 15+ films) from a respected label?

One big purchase gave you over 1/3rd of the films in the franchise.

The entire Godzilla vintage legacy being available and in print in 3 or 4 easy-to-access collections has value beyond just the wants and needs of die-hard fans. They become easy to access, understand, and organize for new fans...easy gift ideas, easy "Sells" when pitching the series to prospective fans or interested film collectors. They get the YouTube previews, revies, unboxing vids, etc...and it breathes a new wave of life into these films on the home market.

The Heisei and Millennium films might be particularly attractive as Box Set Prospects because the Showa films have a pretty strong presence in the streaming arena(I think most are on HBOmax and the Criterion streaming platform) while, in my experience, there isn't really an easy place to find the Heisei and Millennium films to stream. I own them all so I don't need a stream, BUT a new licensing for new sets might wrap them into a streaming package or deal and it might lead to many more people having easy-access to a huge chunk of Godzilla films that are from the last 40 years.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Lots of truth in this post. Even if we are getting subpar quality and limited extras, just having Heisei and Millennium box sets available is a complete no-brainer, especially in this age of struggling physical media. You want your Blu-rays as attractive and accessible as possible, and a bunch of jumbled two-packs is not the way to go.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I saw this exchange and the discussion of the Showa Box-set in the Gamera thread and just wanted to comment on something. For context, some users (MM, Godzilla21, and a few others), were discussing the artwork on the Criterion set:
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:30 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:26 pm I mean, is anyone looking at the Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster Criterion artwork and saying "What, Godzilla doesn't look like THAT in the movie, that kind of art-style isn't in the movie! 0/10!
I DO hate how almost all of the artwork is obviously just work for hire and not done by true fans, going as far as traces (or VERY SIMILAR poses) for kaiju from other media AND use the complete wrong versions (again). IIRC, GvMZ uses Heisei Rodan, MvG has 02 and Heisei, etc. The package itself has skreeonking BIO-GOJI.

0/10? Nah, that's some Daizula DA caliber scoring. But definitely less than a 5.
While I think the choice of Heisei Rodan is strange for IOTAM, and it is likely that a few of the posters were "work for hire", I wanted to personally provide some key background info about the main cover and it's illustrator Shimizu Yuko. Shimizu Yuko is a very well known Japanese illustrator from NYC, and works as an instructor at the School of Visual Art (SVA). My ex-girlfriend was a protege/student under her and everything I've heard about her is pretty positive.

I suggest listening to this, because it provides insight, and you see sketches and rough drafts of the cover, that were then submitted before she did the actual work. She pretty explicitly states that it's her own version of Godzilla. There's also a story to it as well, and she has a very interesting insight into it all.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... onic-beast

I'm paraphrasing her words here but she essentially says, "Godzilla was my childhood. It's interesting because what you think it was when you were a kid and what you know it as an adult is completely different. It is a lot darker...As a kid we just didn't think of these."

In other words, even if it strikes a resemblance to Bio Goji, it's her own version of her character, and it's likely that a multitude of sources, including her own memory of what she thought Godzilla was, played a part in the creation of that design.

This is all to say while perhaps some of the illustrations have strange choices (Heisei Rodan), it wasn't some slapdashed effort, and I think the fact that they got a really welll respected artist to do it means a lot. And it's not just her. Pretty much everyone else is a well-respected illustrator. Also worth noting that some of the illustrations appear to be partially edited by Criterion to fit a theme/specifc version. Angela Rizza's Mothra vs. Godzilla's illustration looks a little weird and an overload of yellow, until you see the original version has a bright blue sky, and the entire thing melds together with this sort of cosmic and fantastical energy. I'm still not sure what exactly Benjamin Marra was going for, on the IOTAM, but it's worth noting he's an award winning cult artist known for weird stunts. It's possible he was intentionally making a bizarre cover, that wouldn't feel out of place amongst older VHS covers, complete with the wrong monster. Many of the other artists, such as Art Adams, Simon Gane, are Godzilla comic artists, or well respected mangakas, comic book artists etc...

Honestly the full page spread of Godzilla destroying Tokyo Tower by Shimizu Yuko with the pink sky is one of the best pieces of Godzilla art I've ever seen, and I think a lot of the art in the collection is full of wild and ecclectic energy.

Sorry for the rambling, I just really enjoyed looking at the art, then at the illustrators portfolios, and seeing what I think they are attempting to do with their own style.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:41 pm I saw this exchange and the discussion of the Showa Box-set in the Gamera thread and just wanted to comment on something. For context, some users (MM, Godzilla21, and a few others), were discussing the artwork on the Criterion set:
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:30 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:26 pm I mean, is anyone looking at the Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster Criterion artwork and saying "What, Godzilla doesn't look like THAT in the movie, that kind of art-style isn't in the movie! 0/10!
I DO hate how almost all of the artwork is obviously just work for hire and not done by true fans, going as far as traces (or VERY SIMILAR poses) for kaiju from other media AND use the complete wrong versions (again). IIRC, GvMZ uses Heisei Rodan, MvG has 02 and Heisei, etc. The package itself has skreeonking BIO-GOJI.

0/10? Nah, that's some Daizula DA caliber scoring. But definitely less than a 5.
While I think the choice of Heisei Rodan is strange for IOTAM, and it is likely that a few of the posters were "work for hire", I wanted to personally provide some key background info about the main cover and it's illustrator Shimizu Yuko. Shimizu Yuko is a very well known Japanese illustrator from NYC, and works as an instructor at the School of Visual Art (SVA). My ex-girlfriend was a protege/student under her and everything I've heard about her is pretty positive.

I suggest listening to this, because it provides insight, and you see sketches and rough drafts of the cover, that were then submitted before she did the actual work. She pretty explicitly states that it's her own version of Godzilla. There's also a story to it as well, and she has a very interesting insight into it all.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... onic-beast

I'm paraphrasing her words here but she essentially says, "Godzilla was my childhood. It's interesting because what you think it was when you were a kid and what you know it as an adult is completely different. It is a lot darker...As a kid we just didn't think of these."

In other words, even if it strikes a resemblance to Bio Goji, it's her own version of her character, and it's likely that a multitude of sources, including her own memory of what she thought Godzilla was, played a part in the creation of that design.

This is all to say while perhaps some of the illustrations have strange choices (Heisei Rodan), it wasn't some slapdashed effort, and I think the fact that they got a really welll respected artist to do it means a lot. And it's not just her. Pretty much everyone else is a well-respected illustrator. Also worth noting that some of the illustrations appear to be partially edited by Criterion to fit a theme/specifc version. Angela Rizza's Mothra vs. Godzilla's illustration looks a little weird and an overload of yellow, until you see the original version has a bright blue sky, and the entire thing melds together with this sort of cosmic and fantastical energy. I'm still not sure what exactly Benjamin Marra was going for, on the IOTAM, but it's worth noting he's an award winning cult artist known for weird stunts. It's possible he was intentionally making a bizarre cover, that wouldn't feel out of place amongst older VHS covers, complete with the wrong monster. Many of the other artists, such as Art Adams, Simon Gane, are Godzilla comic artists, or well respected mangakas, comic book artists etc...

Honestly the full page spread of Godzilla destroying Tokyo Tower by Shimizu Yuko with the pink sky is one of the best pieces of Godzilla art I've ever seen, and I think a lot of the art in the collection is full of wild and ecclectic energy.

Sorry for the rambling, I just really enjoyed looking at the art, then at the illustrators portfolios, and seeing what I think they are attempting to do with their own style.
The insight on the artist is nice and all, and I get where she's coming from. I still 100% disapprove of it for the release. As I said before, for a simple Godzilla piece, it's good. For a set that's specifically supposed to be 100% Showa era Godzilla, it does not fit what's so ever.

"This is how I remember Godzilla"

It's a 14 movie set, spanning three decades of design. You couldn't watch one of them to just pick a design? Or base your artwork on?

As I said, most of the artwork looks good, or at the very least decent. But the fact many of the artists simply use the wrong versions, either on purpose, blissfully ignorant or under order from Criterion themselves... It still jarring as hell for me. Imagine if they did artwork for the Nolan Batman films and used the George Clooney Batman in the packaging art. Same exact thing. Or did artwork for the original Star Wars trilogy, and Han Solo looks like he did in his prequel/spinoff.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?