Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by Goji »

The reason Hedorah got a restoration on it's anniversary is because it's an insanely popular entry, especially in Japan. Godzilla Raids Again, is not.

Toho have acted like Rodan is nothing special since forever. Mothra is clearly considered a more marketable character to them, and probably the reason why her debut film is getting a restoration first. One would hope that one for Rodan isn't far behind, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

And Varan sure as hell isn't getting a 4K. It's not even on Blu-Ray.
Last edited by Goji on Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Someday I'll need to enter the modern world and get a BR player. These restorations look amazing.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:25 pm Someday I'll need to enter the modern world and get a BR player. These restorations look amazing.
At this point might as well jump right to 4K.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:25 pm Someday I'll need to enter the modern world and get a BR player. These restorations look amazing.
That or getting a game system.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Getting every Godzilla film restored in 4K, and getting even Blu Ray discs of those restorations...let alone 4K discs....would be insanely invigorating as a fan. Toho has a few years left to make sure that 70th anniversary is a big time event in Japan AND around the world.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

If Toho did a full 4K restoration of Mothra, I assume that wouldn't actually help in, say, the US, where we'd be relying on the Columbia transfer. Meaning to get it on 4K disc for the American market it'd require either Columbia doing their own restoration or licensing Toho's (neither being likely).

Or am I mistaken about that?
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Kurosawaworld
Young Farmer

Post by Kurosawaworld »

Hello all, I just joined this forum and am new to the Godzilla franchise, so it's hard to keep up with which films have received 4K restorations and which ones haven't (especially since Toho seem to be picking films at random when it comes to choosing which films get restorations first). Would someone be kind enough to list all of the Godzilla films that have gotten a 4K restoration?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Godzilla 54, King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidrah, Monster Zero, Destroy all Monsters, Godzilla vs Hedorah and Godzilla VS Biollante.

Of these, only KKvsG has gotten a physical media release.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Looks like Rodan is next in line. The movie will be shown in 4K in Japanese cinemas in December this year.

https://asa10.eiga.com/2022/cinema/1113/
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Nice!

Man I wish they’d start putting the rest of these out on disc! But, more importantly, I’m so glad they’re continuing to do these 4K transfers. Fingers crossed they do all their kaiju and effects films!!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

About stinking time!! I don't know why they missed the chance to time it with the film's 65th anniversary last year. Rodan needs more respect.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:53 am There may also be an interest in finishing up the Pre-1962 films, meaning that in addition to the original Godzilla and Mothra...we might get Raids Again, Rodan, etc
Rodan it is!

Next they just need to announce Raids Again and the next batch of Godzilla films.

I think they might trickle the marquee titles onto 4K disc...but that 2024, the 70th anniversary of the original film, is when they will aim to have completed the restoration work on all of the Godzilla films, and when they would aim to get them out on 4K disc....likely in INSANELY expensive sets and collections.

I'm not even going to dare to hope for a corresponding US release in 2024 unless Toho themselves tried to take a more active/cooperative role in making that happen.

Criterion's Spine 1000 getting a 4K upgrade would be pretty amazing. 2024 would be 5 years since the release and we've seen films have a shorter turnaround between their Criterion Blu Ray release and their Criterion 4K release.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Man, I’d be over the moon to see spine 1000 upgraded to 4K with these transfers. I wouldn’t even wait for it to be on a half price sale. Of course, that would actually require all the showa films to have 4K restorations AND for toho to be willing to share them. Still, a man can dream…

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:53 am Man, I’d be over the moon to see spine 1000 upgraded to 4K with these transfers. I wouldn’t even wait for it to be on a half price sale. Of course, that would actually require all the showa films to have 4K restorations AND for toho to be willing to share them. Still, a man can dream…
For me personally, it is my hope in regards to how Spine 1000 felt sort of rushed. Yes, Toho shoulders whatever blame they shoulder. Still, Criterion placed the Showa films as Spine 1000, probably the most prestigious Spine # they could hand out. Regardless of transfers, the whole thing felt oddly skimped out on. I'm sure Toho couldn't mandate restrictions on thick sturdy packaging, essays, an informational booklet with a ton of imagery(posters, BTS photos, etc)....it feels as part of it was Criterion being held back, and maybe upon that realization, part of it was them decided to hold themselves back.

Perhaps playing the long game. Put it out, give Spine 1000 to Godzilla...knowing that a number of years down the road, the option MIGHT be available to go back and upgrade the release and really go all out. The prestigious Spine 1000 is still carried...but their freedom and ability to create a much more robust and high quality release might have arrived.

That's just hopeful thinking on my part though.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I know you’re just doing some wild speculation but I don’t think there’s any chance criterion was “playing the long game” and planning or even hoping to redo spine 1000 with more content in the future.

Although it definitely sounds like they originally planned to do more (we know they were searching out film elements for the US cuts at one point) but then once Toho started hamstringing them they just said “screw it” and slapped together what we got.

If they do reissue spine 1000 in the future, I wouldn’t expect any upgrades other than the new transfers. And while I’d love to get a more comprehensive set, I’d gladly pay full price just to get actual decent quality 4K copies of all the films.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Indeed. Audio Commentaries across the board would be nice, the ability to have every original cut be provided an English dub....things like that are all super cool but highly unlikely.

If I can even get Blu Rays sourced from 4K restorations, I would be incredibly happy. 4K discs just feel like a pipe dream.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

This is awesome that Rodan is getting a fresh coat of paint. The transfer we've been seeing the last few years looks as it was soaked in urine inside of a porta-potty.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

are the versions appearing on the web with chinese hardcoded subtitles the ONLY ones available? for 95% of gvmothra, its fine but then it crosses over into the video for part of the song segment near the end and somewhere else. shame.
Last edited by airforce111 on Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

airforce111 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:31 pm are the versions appearing on the web with chinese hardcoded subtitles the ONLY ones available? for 95% of gvmothra, its fine but then it crosses over into the video for part of the song segment near the end and somewhere else. shame.
Edit: nevermind, I found it on the internet archives.
Last edited by MONSTER MANIC on Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

You know that "certain guy" who sells bootleg blu-rays on his shopify?
Turns out, he has updated some of his blu-rays to include the 4K remasters!