Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by canofhumdingers »

So have there been any more announcements about 4K projects from Toho? I started watching the Godzilla Day livestream on YouTube last night but had to go to bed before they got very far into it. At the beginning they did briefly mention the Mothra 4K transfer but I don’t speak Japanese and they didn’t show anything new.

I was hoping that maybe we’d get lucky and get some news that some of the other 4K restorations were getting released on disc sometime.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

No new announcements so far about other titles to be restored, or discs to be released; there was a full half-hour featurette on the Mothra 4k restoration during the livestream, showing the work Tokyo Laboratory staff performed, Kyoko Kagawa's reaction the the restored feature, etc.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Well something is better than nothing. Glad they’ve branched to giving more kaiju films 4K restorations.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

So I just saw the G54 4K at Alamo Drafthouse…looked and sounded incredible!
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Poor Rodan is having his 65th anniversary this year and Toho hasn't even given him a glance.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Joseph Goodman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:13 am No new announcements so far about other titles to be restored, or discs to be released; there was a full half-hour featurette on the Mothra 4k restoration during the livestream, showing the work Tokyo Laboratory staff performed, Kyoko Kagawa's reaction the the restored feature, etc.
Toho just uploaded this video about the 4k restoration of Mothra to their official Godzilla Channel on YouTube. I’m guessing this is the same featurette from the livestream.

It’s a cool video. I couldn’t understand most of what they said but it’s not hard to follow. The restoration work looks great!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Hey, at around 8:17 in that Mothra restoration video, are they talking about that editing error where the shots of the fighter jet are out of order? Is that error not exclusive to the US Blu ray?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I think the current theory is that Toho recut the film for export themselves, and that error may have been introduced during a later attempt to reassemble the uncut domestic version.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

did they decrease the prices? i thought this 4k one was 12000 yen or so, its only 7800 now which is reasonable, 1080p version is only 4000 yen

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%AB%98%E5%B ... d=&amp&sr=

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

airforce111 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:29 pm did they decrease the prices? i thought this 4k one was 12000 yen or so, its only 7800 now which is reasonable, 1080p version is only 4000 yen

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%AB%98%E5%B ... d=&amp&sr=
Look close at the listing. It not only has a banner towards the top that says "Black Friday" but it shows the savings in the sale price. Still too expensive for me, I'm comfortable with the bluray.

Also, it's out of stock anyway.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

^ Temporarily (key word there) out of stock. It says you can still order it. That’s a great price (relatively speaking).

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:25 pm ^ Temporarily (key word there) out of stock. It says you can still order it. That’s a great price (relatively speaking).
Really, really glad I got this. The photo book is a hell of a bonus too!
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I think we are going to have an even larger batch of Godzilla films announced for restoration in 2022 than in 2021. Gigan, Vs Mothra, and Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla will all be celebrating 50, 30, and 20 year anniversaries. There may be consideration to finish out the Showa Era of G film restorations. Son of Godzilla will be 55. There may also be an interest in finishing up the Pre-1962 films, meaning that in addition to the original Godzilla and Mothra...we might get Raids Again, Rodan, etc
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Don't overthink this, Chrispy.

I think some fans put too much stock on things happening just because certain films celebrate anniversaries. Did Toho remaster and air Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and GMK in 4K this year because they celebrated their 30th and 20th anniversaries? Nope.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Can't decide if I'd rather see new restorations announced for the coming year or discs of the ones they've already done. Knowing Toho, it won't be both.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

As much as I want physical copies (which is a LOT), if I had to choose I’d rather them continue doing proper 4K restorations before it’s too late. The film elements won’t last forever even under perfect storage conditions. And I’d hate for the hi-vision transfers of any of these films to become the de facto “archival” versions.

John Schuermann
Samurai

Post by John Schuermann »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:01 pm As much as I want physical copies (which is a LOT), if I had to choose I’d rather them continue doing proper 4K restorations before it’s too late. The film elements won’t last forever even under perfect storage conditions. And I’d hate for the hi-vision transfers of any of these films to become the de facto “archival” versions.
Correct answer!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:52 am Don't overthink this, Chrispy.

I think some fans put too much stock on things happening just because certain films celebrate anniversaries. Did Toho remaster and air Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and GMK in 4K this year because they celebrated their 30th and 20th anniversaries? Nope.
I was just throwing out various things that MIGHT indicate what we could expect. In general it seems like the restoration process is going somewhat chronologically from the original Godzilla onward. So Rodan, Raids Again and other 'early stragglers' might be good choices.

I have doubts that Toho is taking insane consideration of 'finish the Showa Era, this gets an anniversary this year, etc etc'....but I recall they mentioned Hedorah's 50 year anniversary was one of the reasons it was part of the 2021 batch.

I do think the intention is to have them all done and ready for the 70th anniversary...meaning by the end of 2024 all of the films are done. A batch in 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024. The more recent the films get, it becomes less that they require as much 'restoration' so much as 'proper high quality transfers'
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

https://www.kpbs.org/news/arts-culture/ ... -to-retire
I figured this was the place to post this tidbit, from an interview with Chris Mowry:
Toho is also planning to make the films themselves more readily available and in higher quality formats, which is something fans in the U.S. have longed for.
I wonder if they actually mean higher quality releases in the West or if the author got their 4K releases in Japan conflated with potential new higher-quality drops on this side of the globe?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:51 am https://www.kpbs.org/news/arts-culture/ ... -to-retire
I figured this was the place to post this tidbit, from an interview with Chris Mowry:
Toho is also planning to make the films themselves more readily available and in higher quality formats, which is something fans in the U.S. have longed for.
I wonder if they actually mean higher quality releases in the West or if the author got their 4K releases in Japan conflated with potential new higher-quality drops on this side of the globe?

Mirjahangir: (Gojira 1954) being shown off in 4K for the first time and everything and usually it’s kind of indicative of a future home release. Will that happen? With Godzilla 4K here in the U.S.?
Mowry: I believe so. Released here or Japan though? That’s the big question.
Mirjahangir: In the US.
Mowry: Ah that I’m not so sure of.
Mirjahangir: Ok.

Mowry: I would imagine so though.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/interv ... lora-cohn/
Last edited by Chris55 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.