Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by Chrispy_G »

Malchik wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:20 am Can't argue there. G84 and Bio were probably the most cinematic of that era.
100% I feel that you can compare those films to US films of the same general timeframe, and they sort of hold their own and stand up. Once the 90s hit, it just felt like the production value and cinematic quality of the Godzilla films just seriously lagged behind similar US films of the same era.

Although Destoroyah would be the next one after them. By then, Okawara had developed a bit more of a cinematic eye(although it was best in G2K). Considering everyone involved knew it would be the final Godzilla film for a while and that Godzilla would die...I think that film benefitted from those involved bringing their A-game.

It is still a little uninspired in some places, in terms of visuals and cinematography, but there are plenty of places where it really works and feels more like cinema and less like TV.

But yeah, the 1991-1994 films are fairly brutal in a number of facets. Weak scripts, cinematography, production value. The films are colorful, have great music and lots of lasers, and generally I dig all of the creature designs, but not much beyond that.

If there were a way that going straight from Biollante to Destoroyah made sense, continuity wise, I'd embrace it...but alas, the presence of Junior requires that GvsMGII be watched, which requires that GvKG be watched...which requires the viewer to buy into a terribly executed bullcrap time travel plot.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The '90s Godzillas have a sterile quality to them but nothing to compare them to contemporary TV films, especially in Japan. The reason why those films look comparatively worse, as Chrispy touched on, is because they were made and released at a time when Hollywood raced ahead of Japan's film industry. I think they look a lot more like low budget Hollywood films of the same time than anything shot for TV.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Ima be honest, I REALLY want those 4K's.
does anyone have access to [names of torrent sites redacted]?
There's a chance they won't be on there, but it's worth a look.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MONSTER MANIC wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:27 am Ima be honest, I REALLY want those 4K's.
does anyone have access to [names of torrent sites redacted]?
There's a chance they won't be on there, but it's worth a look.
I've removed the names of the torrent sites from your post. Please refrain from mentioning specific sites in the future. Thanks!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Currently watching the criterion Blu-ray of ghidorah the three-headed monster, definitely one of the better hi-visions, the colours are vibrant and pop out nice also, the print toho used (Interpositive?) Appears to be in pretty good condition with little to no scratches at all criterions tweaks just make the whole thing look a lot better as well, the stronger contrast gives way to slightly more vibrant colours.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I think the films in most need of revision on the Criterion Showa set are KKvG (J), MvG and IoAM. Those were based off dupes and earlier restorations as the camera negative was edited and compiled into the cut-down Toho Champion Matsuri Festival versions of the 1970s. Once they got to GtTHM they spared the camera negatives and used something else.
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Great Hierophant wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:38 am I think the films in most need of revision on the Criterion Showa set are KKvG (J), MvG and IoAM. Those were based off dupes and earlier restorations as the camera negative was edited and compiled into the cut-down Toho Champion Matsuri Festival versions of the 1970s. Once they got to GtTHM they spared the camera negatives and used something else.
Yeah, the champion festival was a mistake.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

MONSTER MANIC wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:25 am
Great Hierophant wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:38 am I think the films in most need of revision on the Criterion Showa set are KKvG (J), MvG and IoAM. Those were based off dupes and earlier restorations as the camera negative was edited and compiled into the cut-down Toho Champion Matsuri Festival versions of the 1970s. Once they got to GtTHM they spared the camera negatives and used something else.
Yeah, the champion festival was a mistake.
The editor's shortsightedness was a mistake. Toho's archiving was lacklustre at best.
Last edited by Malchik on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

GodzillaFan1996 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:33 am https://twitter.com/SpaceHunter_M/statu ... 01920?s=19

Clip from
@SpaceHunter_M
where are all of these people finding these rips? :mad: :mad: :mad:

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

They’re not “finding” them. I’m pretty sure they are being carefully shared between trusted friends.

smagal
Samurai

Post by smagal »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:35 am They’re not “finding” them. I’m pretty sure they are being carefully shared between trusted friends.
And I call this bull$hit. Why they do it? Do they feel better than the rest of the fans? "Oh look at me, I'm so unique that I got this rip, let's make it secret for only "trusted" people"... It's 21st century... come on...

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

smagal wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:14 am
canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:35 am They’re not “finding” them. I’m pretty sure they are being carefully shared between trusted friends.
And I call this bull$hit. Why they do it? Do they feel better than the rest of the fans? "Oh look at me, I'm so unique that I got this rip, let's make it secret for only "trusted" people"... It's 21st century... come on...
Because it's not really smart to just be sharing stuff like this everywhere. You throw it around to just anyone and everyone and eventually Toho is absolutely going to shut it down. Come on now, let's be realistic here.

If I was lucky enough to have access to one of the 4k airings (which I have, since I had a copy of KKvsG back in 2019) I would definitely not be going "Here it is, everyone in the entire fandom! Take it! Take it! Take it!" because that'd be a good way to screw myself. Like humdingers said, I'd be carefully sharing with trusted friends within my own circle, because I'm not obliged to let everyone see it.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Legion nailed it. Same reason the best Star Wars (or other film) preservations are hard to find or invite only.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

dont agree. i understand the star wars comparison, but its not like these are those rare star wars footage found in a basement and never before seen. this skreeonk aired on television. I would understand if it was like servanov's Return of Godzilla find, like if you found taht stuff in a basement, thats the star wars situation then yes, i agree keep that stuff to yourself and you have the right to not share that. but this literally was from toho, not from some fanboys basement, that broadcast. I think it's silly.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's still someone else's IP that your sharing for free online in a completely different country for everyone else to see. You do know Toho has a huge problem with stuff like that, right?

And again, no one should feel obligated to share anything with the rest of the fandom if they don't want to. No one is entitled to everything.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

right, they have a huge problem with that. so lets start blasting it on twitter and start making memes with those 4k video clips on twitter! /s Right right, its so illegal, we better flaunt it, instead of actually keep it secret in a circle like we should. All I am saying is, the Star Wars comparison is in no way the same thing that is happening with these. It is what it is, agreed to disagree.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

airforce111 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:20 pm dont agree. i understand the star wars comparison, but its not like these are those rare star wars footage found in a basement and never before seen. this skreeonk aired on television. I would understand if it was like servanov's Return of Godzilla find, like if you found taht stuff in a basement, thats the star wars situation then yes, i agree keep that stuff to yourself and you have the right to not share that. but this literally was from toho, not from some fanboys basement, that broadcast. I think it's silly.
Then make your own Japanese fandom contacts and get copies through them yourself? As Legion said, no one is obligated to share anything with anyone else. Nor is anyone obligated (except legally) to withhold clips or screenshots.

I'd also like to point out that being petulant about it isn't going to make anyone who might have these want to share them. :shrug:
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

This is a problem I have, not just with Godzilla fandom, but with modern fandoms in general. Everyone thinks they're entitled to everything else and they get upset when people aren't automatically sharing what they have. If a buddy of mine does me a solid and sends me a copy of the 4k version of KKvsG what kind of person would I be if I in turn shared it with every Tom, Dick and Harry that I don't even know out of some weird expected courtesy to the entire fandom. I'm sorry, life doesn't work thst way.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

As someone who *maybe* has these recordings, I can affirm that Legion1979 and Terasawa are absolutely correct about this. The source I could have received them from DOES NOT want them passed around. A recording of a TV broadcast is technically illegal, doubly so if it’s shared in any way. Don’t forget that these were broadcast on PREMIUM cable (IE you pay extra for those channels) too, so the expectation is that these are very exclusive to paying customers. Toho is one of the most litigious companies out there and will crack down hard if they’re shared freely.

I earned my “right” (it’s such an entitled word but it’s the only one I can think to use right now) to get access to these types of things because I spent years fostering relationships with people and building trust.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132