The Daimajin Trilogy coming from Arrow Films!

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
goji1986
G-Force Personnel

The Daimajin Trilogy coming from Arrow Films!

Post by goji1986 »

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/t ... ay/FCD2153
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

High Definition Blu-rayTM (1080p) presentation of the three Daimajin films
Lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio for all films
Optional English subtitles - Illustrated collector’s 100 page book featuring new essays by Jonathan Clements, Keith Aiken, Ed Godziszewski, Raffael Coronelli, Erik Homenick, Robin Gatto and Kevin Derendorf
Postcards featuring the original Japanese artwork for all three films
Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Frank
DISC ONE – DAIMAJIN

Brand new audio commentary by Japanese film expert Stuart Galbraith IV
Newly filmed introduction by critic Kim Newman
Bringing the Avenging God to Life, a brand new exclusive video essay about the special effects of the Daimajin films by Japanese film historian Ed Godziszewski
Alternate opening credits for the US release as Majin
The Monster of Terror
Trailers for the original Japanese and US releases
Image gallery
DISC TWO – RETURN OF DAIMAJIN

Brand new audio commentary by Japanese film experts Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
My Summer Holidays with Daimajin, a newly filmed interview with Professor Yoneo Ota, director of the Toy Film Museum, Kyoto Film Art Culture Research Institute, about the production of the Daimajin films at Daiei Kyoto
From Storyboard to Screen: Bringing Return of Daimajin to Life, a comparison of several key scenes in Return of Daimajin with the original storyboards
Alternate opening credits for the US release as Return of the Giant Majin
Trailers for the original Japanese and US releases
Image gallery
DISC THREE – WRATH OF DAIMAJIN

Brand new audio commentary by Asian historian Jonathan Clements
Interview with cinematographer Fujio Morita discussing his career at Daiei and his work on the Daimajin Trilogy
Trailers for the original Japanese release
Image Gallery

Looks like another solid release!
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: The Daimajin Trilogy coming from Arrow Films!

Post by Vakanai »

Here's hoping that the scalpers miss this one.
Love these movies.

I still need to grab the Showa Gamera collection...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Angilasman
G-Force Personnel

Post by Angilasman »

WOOHOO! Shaping up to be terrific. Frank's art is great and the list of contributors and features is excellent.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

This is cool news! I wish though these companies would go after different titles... stuff like the Zone Fighter show.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Angilasman
G-Force Personnel

Post by Angilasman »

^ Well, this is all part of the same deal with Kadokawa that gave them Gamera, Warning From Space, the 2 Invisible Man films, and (soon) the Yokai movies. Once they've released everything then they might set their sights on other studios.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Awesome! My only complaint is this will be taking up more shelf-space than the Mill Creek one. :lol:
Cookson wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:47 am I wish though these companies would go after different titles... stuff like the Zone Fighter show.
Yeah, that's never going to happen, from Arrow (who don't even release television to the best of my knowledge) or otherwise. I'd much rather hope for Arrow releasing more Daiei titles like Demon of Mt. Oe and Whale God, along with them getting their hands on the Kadokawa-produced blockbusters of the 70s and 80s.
Ultra Q: Dark Fantasy has been funded!!
https://www.gofundme.com/f/finish-subbi ... are-flow-1
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Instant pre-order (from DiabolikDVD, not trusting Amazon on this one after the last fiasco). Very glad that most of these less-prominent films are getting great releases.

CrimsonBloodX
Interpol Agent

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

YES! YES! YEEESSSS!!!

I knew that Arrow Films was going to do this sooner or later. I'm so buying this box-set once it gets released.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

A shame that, from the looks of things, they aren't including the interviews from the Japanese DVDs, but other than that, the set looks amazing! Definitely getting it. :D
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

Content-wise this looks really solid, but I don't dig the Matt Frank artwork this time around - I get the feudal Japanese artstyle he was going for but I don't think it worked out too well on the human characters

Also this is the wrong subforum since these movies aren't from Toho ;)
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

goji1986
G-Force Personnel

Post by goji1986 »

Purzel2205 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:53 am Content-wise this looks really solid, but I don't dig the Matt Frank artwork this time around - I get the feudal Japanese artstyle he was going for but I don't think it worked out too well on the human characters

Also this is the wrong subforum since these movies aren't from Toho ;)
D’oh!! Good point.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Purzel2205 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:53 am Content-wise this looks really solid, but I don't dig the Matt Frank artwork this time around - I get the feudal Japanese artstyle he was going for but I don't think it worked out too well on the human characters
I've never cared for boutique label artwork, I always turn the covers around to the original poster art instead.
Purzel2205 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:53 am Also this is the wrong subforum since these movies aren't from Toho ;)
It doesn't matter, we have tons of non-Toho kaiju stuff here.

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:50 am It doesn't matter, we have tons of non-Toho kaiju stuff here.
"Tons of non-Toho kaiju" is a big stretch, but alright, if you say so ;)
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Not expecting a huge leap in terms of quality, since Kadokawa's transfers for these are already a good deal better than their Showa Gamera transfers, but it's cool to see more MGM archive stuff scanned.
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

Latest project: Godzilla 1985 35mm hybrid reconstruction
Current project: Stay tuned for details

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES

Chrispy_G
G-Grasper

Post by Chrispy_G »

Very nice. Looks like the usual bountiful treatment Arrow consistently provides.

I've said before...but as an overall label they are supplanting Criterion for me in a big way. They obviously release more of the genre fare I am interested in, but it also feels like they get to 'go hard' with every release across the board.
"The things you cling to? They are old, and getting older."

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

Is Arrow British?

Angilasman
G-Force Personnel

Post by Angilasman »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:51 pm Is Arrow British?
Yeah, they stated as UK only, but expanded to the US a few years ago.

canofhumdingers
G-Force Personnel

Post by canofhumdingers »

Just put my preorder in at DiabolikDVD. They came through for me on the Gamera set when Amazon was screwing people left and right with cancelled/unfulfilled orders.

Plus Diabolik has it for $65 plus tax and shipping (mine came out to $75 total) whereas Amazon currently has it at $100…. I’m sure Amazon’s price will drop but I’d much rather support a small, customer-service oriented shop over the behemoth that does everything it can to destroy all competition.
“Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind.”
~The Doctor

o.supreme
EDF Instructor

Post by o.supreme »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:55 pm Just put my preorder in at DiabolikDVD. They came through for me on the Gamera set when Amazon was screwing people left and right with cancelled/unfulfilled orders.

Plus Diabolik has it for $65 plus tax and shipping (mine came out to $75 total) whereas Amazon currently has it at $100…. I’m sure Amazon’s price will drop but I’d much rather support a small, customer-service oriented shop over the behemoth that does everything it can to destroy all competition.
I guess I can count myself fortunate in that my order of the Arrow Gamera set through Amazon came through without incident. However... with regard to Warning from Space...yeah the price did drop eventually after the item was out. Because I pre-ordered I paid the full $28 on release day, and shortly after it dropped down to $20 (yet now I see it's back up to $28...so who knows)....

Amazon is being weird right now with the Ultraman BRD's from MC, so I am going to hold off on the Daimajin set. I am content with the MC BRD set. I mean I already have the ADV VHS, the ADV DVD set, and the retromedia DVD for the English Dubs, and the purpose of getting the MC was to be the "end -all-be-all". I admit the Arrow set has some nice features, but I'll wait. If it comes down to a reasonable price I'll get it. If not, no big loss. The Gamera set was a must. And while the Warning From Space BRD was not really a high priority at all, it was more of a one-off. Not something I had several copies of already. While the Arrow Daimajin set has some nice additions, it is not a must for me.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!