Gamera vs. Gyaos (1967)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Gamera vs. Gyaos (1967)

Post by Terasawa »

The worst Showa Gamera movie gets its own thread so I figure the others should, too.

Although Gamera vs. Barugon has the better production values (and is generally better-regarded for its more mature story), and although some of the later films are more representative of Yuasa and Takahashi's vision for the series, I think this is the best of the original Gamera series and the closest any of those movies came to matching their Toho contemporaries.

I like that this one sort of blends what made Gamera work (namely a child character at the film's core, although done much better here) with the kind of adult melodrama at the center of Gamera vs. Barugon. The latter also works better here, IMO, because Takahashi weaves the various plot threads together more tightly here than in that film. I think the story flows really well, especially through the first act, where we're introduced to all the principal characters and factions (road crew and villagers) in turn while getting pretty much right into the monster stuff. The conflict between the villagers and road workers is ostensibly banal, but it doesn't really get in the way of the monsters at any point.

The monster action is also a huge step up from the slow and uncoordinated battles in vs. Barugon. The film's subtitle in Japan is "Giant Monster Dogfight," and the mid-movie aerial battle between Gamera's UFO-flight mode and Gyaos is a (mostly) well-executed fight sequence the delivers on that promise. I appreciate that the filmmakers gave us three distinct battles between the monsters: The first has Gamera mount a near-total defensive approach (to protect Eiichi) which nevertheless gets him shellacked, the second is the titular dogfight, and third is a total slugfest where both monsters give their all. Gyaos definitely feels like a tough opponent who could kill Gamera if not for the latter's determination in battle. This is really the movie that established that facet of Gamera's character, which we've seen in nearly every movie since.

A few more thoughts:

The reporter who uses Eiichi to get close to the green lights, only to cowardly abandon him when the going gets rough is one of my favorite minor villains in a kaiju movie. His death at Gyaos' hands (and mouth) is richly deserved.

The "rescue" of Eiichi from Gamera is pretty well-staged for an incident so obviously lacking in real danger. We know Gamera is the hero, as does Eiichi, but the adults' perspective is more grounded -- he's a giant monster, and even if he did save Eiichi, there's still the matter of safely getting him off the back of an enormous turtle. I like that it requires Kojiro Hongo's character and Gamera to cooperate (he asks Gamera to move closer!), which shows that the adult characters realize Gamera is an intelligent creature. Later Gamera movies would ask the audience to suspend their disbelief when Gamera saves children (I'm thinking specifically of the scene in Gamera vs. Zigra when Gamera, carrying Ken and Helen, executes a crash landing despite the obvious danger that would mean for the kids).

Overall, the special effects are more ambitious and better-executed than in the other Daiei Tokyo SFX films. (The Majin movies done at the Kyoto studio had superior SFX.) While never reaching the same quality seen in the Toho films of the period, the FX work here is pretty good. The optical work fares best while the wire work probably fares the worst, although it's still better than in the other Showa Gameras or Gappa and The X from Outer Space.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Gamera vs. Gyaos (1967)

Post by edgaguirus »

This movie sets the tone for the sequels, and does it well. It helps that the kid is only part of the equation, and we have other engaging characters that can carry the story forward.

It's easy to see how Gyaos became the signature foe for Gamera. The kaiju gives Gamera a good fight, and is a vicious attacker when it has the upper hand.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

I would rank this as the peak of the Showa Gamera series alongside Vs. Guiron. Both embody the core of what I love about Showa Gamera. They're whimsical daydream-esque childhood fantasy movies without an ounce of cynicism.
Resized Image

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

This was one of the only Gamera movies I owned for a long time, so I have a soft spot for it and remember watching it a lot (along with The Magic Serpent which was included on the same DVD). It's definitely the movie that comes to mind when I think of Gamera and I always think back to crazy scenes like when Gyaos zaps the moving car in half or when the two monsters are battling each other in the sky. The music is pretty enjoyable as well, and helps keep with a more menacing tone compared to the direction the later movies would take.

I didn't need to see other Gamera movies to know that Gyaos was his arch nemesis; he's a total PEST in this film. They just can't get rid of him. :lol:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I watched this a few days ago, having recently re-watched Gamera vs. Barugon, and I'm not sure which one I prefer. I do think that when taking the other entries into account, Gamera vs. Gyaos is the most representative film of the Showa Gamera series; it features a nice balance of adult melodrama, childish whimsy, and monster carnage.

I think the adult story is really interesting to analyze, the farmers versus construction crew. Unlike a lot of films at the time, I don't think the film takes a clear side on who is in the right and does a good job at showing actual reasons for debate and conflict. The construction at hand isn't some resort or get-rich quick scheme (unlike Mothra vs. Godzilla), but rather an expressway that will connect rural parts of Japan to Tokyo. In real life, I'm pretty sure the section they point to on the map is Chuo Expressway, so I can get why that's important. Gamera vs. Barugon featured Kurobe Dam, so it's clear the Gamera creators were taking full advantage and interest in Japan's rapid industrialization and "progress". Likewise, while some of the higher-ups in construction are a bit hasty and rushing of the project, the main lead/foreman Shiro Tsutsumi clearly cares about his workers, and also isn't interested in rushing things. When Gyaos poses a threat to his workers, he sends them home. Likewise, the other workers are humanized, just trying to make money to feed themselves. The farmers, admittedly are a bit greedy, but they too are well-explored. The film makes it clear through a line by Eiichi's grandmother that "selling your own land isn't easy", and even if we removed the monetary aspect from it all, it's a bit tragic. Likewise, although everyone starts throwing insults out at the elder, it's clear that he was just looking out in the interests of the villagers. It's nothing amazing, but it has a sophisticated level of nuance that few other entries in the genre have. It also mostly connects to the Gyaos plot well: it's because of the land dispute and highway development that Gyaos is even first discovered so quickly, and it's Gyaos attacking their ranch and cattle that gives a dire and localized sense to Gyaos' rampage. The conclusion of the film is the villagers sacrificing their forests for the greater good, and also everyone trying to get along better. I can certainly see people taking issues with aspect of the film's environmental stances, but for a film produced by a rapidly developing country it makes a lot of sense and works well.

In regards to Gyaos story, it's a bit standard fare. I like how Gyaos is first hinted at, with a strange sonic laser that cuts a plane in half, and then we get a very up close and personal reveal with Eiichi and the reporter. Gyaos is scary, a man-eater, and it makes sense why he's Gamera's most popular foe. He can fly like Gamera, an attribute that Barugon was sorely lacking. Likewise, Gyaos dislikes fire and has a unique way of dispelling Gamera's flames. Gyaos is a very offensive creature, and works well as Gamera's foe. I love the effect of him slicing things in half, it's very unique for the time. His rampages, while short, leave a lot of impact with a great amount of violence and chaos. The scene with the train is pretty intense, and does a good job at illustrating how monstrous the creature is. One specific moment I like is when the military planes begin to bombard Gyaos's lair, and many of them are quickly sliced up. The general, shocked and saddened, calls off the attack saying the sacrifices would be too great. It's a rare moment of caution in a Kaiju film. Another great moment is when Gyaos is trying to flee Gamera's grasp in the morning. The sun is rising, and a matte painting sets a very unique coloration of early morning sun that is rare in these films. Gyaos is bleeding, firing off beams, and Gamera is desperately trying to prevent Gyaos from escaping. It's great.

Although this film suffers like Gamera vs. Barugon for having very few Gamera scenes, it makes up for it for having the scene of Eiichi riding on Gamera's back and continually discussing and wishing for Gamera to help out. It allows Gamera to constantly be in the background and ethos of the film, even if he is not always immediately present. One thing I noticed which makes Gamera is unique, is how ofter he uses is shell in the fights in the film. I love how he rolls on the side of his shell using his tail. Unlike other monsters (Angurius), Gamera's carapace/shell is used to great effect. Like Gamera vs. Barugon, there's a savagery that really makes the monsters animalistic and fearsome. When Gamera can get close, he fights by biting and dragging his opponents apart. The Gamera series does a great job at having their monsters sustain serious injuries and keep going.

I agree with Terasawa's above opinions on the fights, it's fantastic how all three encounters are characteristically different, despite featuring the same monsters. Unlike Barugon and a few other entries (Viras), there's a nicer balance and better pacing. There's also a nice balance of locales: from Mt. Fuji, to the outskirts of Mt. Fuji, to Nagoya City and the nearby watery port. It's well-throughout out the locations also make sense if you look on a map.

Overall, I can see and understand why people think this is the best Showa Gamera film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I love this movie.

This was the first Gamera movie I saw, probably in 1987 or so. The designs of Gyaos and what I believe is a new Gamera suit have such a different aesthetic than the Toho stuff, and it appealed to me so much as a kid. There's a simplicity to the monsters, and Gamera and Gyaos complement each other so well: Gamera has tubes for arms and legs and a round hamburger shell, while Gyaos is literally all angles. The glowing cartoon eyes are also quite striking when compared to the Toho monsters. These guys don't look like they could co-exist in the Godzilla universe, and that's true across the board with the Daiei monsters. Shit, even the original line of Bandai Gamera figures have a different feel to them than the Toho stuff.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:52 pm I love this movie.

This was the first Gamera movie I saw, probably in 1987 or so. The designs of Gyaos and what I believe is a new Gamera suit have such a different aesthetic than the Toho stuff, and it appealed to me so much as a kid. There's a simplicity to the monsters, and Gamera and Gyaos complement each other so well: Gamera has tubes for arms and legs and a round hamburger shell, while Gyaos is literally all angles. The glowing cartoon eyes are also quite striking when compared to the Toho monsters. These guys don't look like they could co-exist in the Godzilla universe, and that's true across the board with the Daiei monsters. Shit, even the original line of Bandai Gamera figures have a different feel to them than the Toho stuff.
I forget which commentary confirmed this but it’s the same suit at 66 with an altered/new head.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Really the same body?
https://ourculturemag.com/wp-content/up ... .05.46.png
I guess the change in budget and director makes the body looks more I dunno gnarled and natural. Naturally they'd change his head to look less scary I get that part.

Certainly better than later Showa suits where the head had to unnaturally look straight up.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... A&usqp=CAU