Would a Solo Gyaos film work?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Would a Solo Gyaos film work?

Post by LegendZilla »

I've noticed it becomes trendy once in a while to give popular fictional villains their own stand-alone film and this point in time is no exception. Sure, plenty of attempts haven't been that great -- like Cruella, Malificent, and Catwoman -- but that does not mean the idea is inherently bad.

As far as kaiju who have never had their own solo films, I think one that has potential (besides King Ghidorah) is none other than Gamera's arch nemesis Gyaos, the shadow of evil. One thing that could make such a film interesting is that the nature of Gyaos as a character could lend him/herself to an R-rating. In a day and age in which virtually every franchise that began R-rated is getting dumbed down to PG-13, it's always refreshing to see things go in the opposite direction now and then, just one example being X-men franchise with the Deadpool films and Logan.

Anyways, do you think my pitch has potential to be good? If so, how do you imagine the plot playing out? I know there's a chance that such a movie could fail miserably, but hey which one doesn't come with such a risk upon being greenlit? What matters is the right amount of heart, effort and creativity to make for a good execution.

This is LegendZilla signing out.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Would a Solo Gyaos film work?

Post by edgaguirus »

The three films named were able or almost able to create some level of sympathy with the villain, but while Gyaos seems pure evil, there could be ways to get people to care. It might work if we keep the idea of Gyaos as a bio engineered species, controlled and chained for some purpose until it escapes that control, turning on its creators.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don't understand this obsession with "hey these other movie companies are doing something, let's replicate it and remove all originality!".

The Gyaos already have succulent development in Gamera Guardian of the Universe. They get just as much development and screen time as the titular monster. Despite Gamera popping in to save the day, GOTU serves well to be a Gyaos solo film, showing various failed military operations against them and how they would play out. Gamera 3 extends the narrative, showcasing an evolution of the Gyaos. Beyond that, it's unneeded. I don't see what having a "solo" film for the Gyaos would do for the monsters considering how much screen time and variation they have in the Heisei Gamera Trilogy. There's really no interesting or uninteresting questions to work with. I suppose someone might say,"if there's an interesting narrative to construct" then sure, but at that point it would be cool to just expand or build upon a new or another monster.

Also, as an aside, thinking about film ratings is sort of pointless.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:44 pm I don't understand this obsession with "hey these other movie companies are doing something, let's replicate it and remove all originality!".
Have you been paying attention to the MV lately? That whole series is basically all because of all of the successful Marvel and DC crossover hits. While I would prefer originality if possible, I don't require something to necessarily be original to be enjoyable. That would include seeing Rodan getting his own movie or if Gamera actually comes back, Gyaos.

While I find it very unlikely to be created, a solo Gyaos film could certainly work. If you want to add a sympathetic angle like the poster above me mentioned then we could make this a unique rogue Gyaos that is an aberration in some way. Or perhaps give Gyaos a whole new origin. Where it really isn't evil but just an animal. Or maybe the lesser of two evils. Compare Venom to Carnage for example. Having a pure evil Gyaos could still work however. Probably best as a prequel to Gamera. Having the movie feel like Gojira or something along those lines with one rogue kaiju going on a rampage.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Lesko wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:59 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:44 pm I don't understand this obsession with "hey these other movie companies are doing something, let's replicate it and remove all originality!".
Have you been paying attention to the MV lately? That whole series is basically all because of all of the successful Marvel and DC crossover hits. While I would prefer originality if possible, I don't require something to necessarily be original to be enjoyable. That would include seeing Rodan getting his own movie or if Gamera actually comes back, Gyaos.

While I find it very unlikely to be created, a solo Gyaos film could certainly work. If you want to add a sympathetic angle like the poster above me mentioned then we could make this a unique rogue Gyaos that is an aberration in some way. Or perhaps give Gyaos a whole new origin. Where it really isn't evil but just an animal. Or maybe the lesser of two evils. Compare Venom to Carnage for example. Having a pure evil Gyaos could still work however. Probably best as a prequel to Gamera. Having the movie feel like Gojira or something along those lines with one rogue kaiju going on a rampage.
Since it's impossible to make Gyaos a sympathetic character, why not make up for it in the human department? I imagine the movie being about a group of cryptozoologists traveling to an uninhabited island not far from mainland Japan to see if sightings of these weird, ravenous bird-like creatures are true. As they get picked off one by one, they tensions start to brew between the group.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

To be brutally honest when Kadokawa can't get a Gamera film made at all a solo Gyaos film is just silly to think about.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

No… Gyaos just needs another monster (preferably the Friend to All Children).
For Emperor and Empire!