Poll: What do you think the next Gamera film should be about?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

What should the next Gamera film be about

Continuation of the Heisei Trilogy
8%
Continuation of Gamera the Brave
3%
Make the 2015 short a full film
23%
Godzilla crossover
10%
Something entirely new
58%

Total votes: 40

Gigantis
Sazer

Poll: What do you think the next Gamera film should be about?

Post by Gigantis »

So i think we can all agree Gamera's overdue for his grand return to the world of cinema. But the question is: what should the next Gamera film be? What would be the best way to bring Gamera back to the spotlight?

Some people would say the logical way would just make a continuation of the Heisei Trilogy, but i feel like that's better left of where it is. Gamera the Brave continuation could also work (apparently there was going to be an anime follow up that didn't come to fruition because the box office for Brave kinda slumped) but since Brave isn't well liked by a good chunk of the kaiju community, i don't see that happening either. Is it possible we could just finally bring that 2015 short film into the light? Maaaybe but i feel like Kadokawa would try to do something different.

Others say that it would be for the best if Godzilla was the key to get Gamera back on his feet.. i don't really know why though. Considering the circumstances both of them are in, it would probably just end up with Godzilla completely overshadowing Gamera and casual audiences probably wouldn't even know that it was a crossover movie to begin with. I say it's best that Kadokawa just try something new with the brand. Think of some ideas that you can toss the turtle into, and then just go along from there.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Poll: What do you think the next Gamera film should be about?

Post by Jermobooka »

I’d very much love a sequel to G3. If not that, then something about the 2015 short film
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Something new, all the way. The time is long past for a continuation of the Heisei Trilogy or The Brave, as no one outside the fandom remembers those. Making a new film a sequel would just serve as a barrier for new viewers, potentially turning away people who don't want to watch cheesy old films with shitty, primitive '90s effects.

And a revival via a Godzilla crossover isn't happening. That's absurd. Why would Toho revive its competition? And more personally, if a crossover is going to happen, I want Gamera to be well-known again first so both parties can stand on semi-even terms. As it is, the majority of audience members won't know who Gamera is, or at least won't recognize him as an 'equal' to Godzilla, like they do for Kong.

Just make it a fresh start. It might be a good idea to play up Gamera's inherent outlandishness and revive some of the wacky lunacy of the Showa series. "Grounded and realistic" isn't really the popular route to go, anymore, and audiences now are perfectly willing to embrace the unrealistic as long as it's appealingly packaged.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

It would never happen but I would love to see a legacy sequel to Gamera the Brave with Ryo Tomioka reprising his role as an adult Toru meeting Gamera again after more than a decade apart.

For a pie-in-the-sky Godzilla crossover, it would be great if Shusuke Kaneko directed a legacy sequel to GMK with a new incarnation of Gamera defending Japan against the resurrected Godzilla. I'd prefer to not have any extension of Kaneko's Gamera trilogy.

An entirely new Gamera reboot would also be cool. It seems pretty unlikely that there will ever be any more new Gamera movies, though, at least not with Kadokawa as it currently exists. The 2015 short was all that they had the capacity to produce to capitalize on Godzilla's resurgence as much as they could.

No Hollywood film studio has ever taken the initiative to license the rights to produce their own Gamera film. There's no reason to expect that to change unless Kadokawa agrees to license Gamera to some low-grade company like The Asylum, but who would want to see the next Gamera movies get produced by the company that made Atlantic Rim and Ape vs. Monster?

I suppose there's a chance that Hideaki Anno might want to produce his own Shin Gamera film with Shinji Higuchi to go along with Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman and Shin Kamen Rider but it's also easy to reason that the Heisei Gamera trilogy already filled that niche.

I think the most likely future for Gamera might actually be an anime take on the character.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I'd expand the short film it had such an interesting premise that I think can service a full film.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Something well-made and interesting with a solid creative team behind it, something that matches the top-quality of the Heisei trilogy and Gamera the Brace. Katsuhito Ishii was an inspired choice for the 2015 short film so if he were to return I'd be more than happy.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I vote either a Godzilla crossover (and not done in some weird, "experimental" type of way) or a new continuity all together. Something akin to Gamera: The Brave... But better. I don't mind keeping the aspects of the "friend of all children" like it was in G:TB, but I don't need to see Gamera raised from birth by a Kenny. And for God's sake, use the classic roar.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Either the 2015 short becomes a full film, or we get something new. Far too much time has passed to try and continue the Heisei series, Gamera the Brave while good bombed in the theaters so that's out, and in my personal opinion Gamera should not make his grand return playing second billing to Godzilla! I'm not against a Godzilla vs Gamera movie happening at some point, though I personally doubt it ever will, but if it does happen it should only be after Gamera become successful and profitable again on his own as his own property! Not something that needs Godzilla to work!

Added in 11 minutes 24 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:38 amJust make it a fresh start. It might be a good idea to play up Gamera's inherent outlandishness and revive some of the wacky lunacy of the Showa series. "Grounded and realistic" isn't really the popular route to go, anymore, and audiences now are perfectly willing to embrace the unrealistic as long as it's appealingly packaged.
While I've nothing against taking the more outlandish approach, and while it's true that audiences are willing to embrace the ridiculous elements now, I disagree that "grounded and realistic" has somehow become unpopular. Logan and Joker took that approach and were wildly successful and critically acclaimed, and next year's The Batman looks to be going that way and a lot of people (myself included) are hyped for it. I don't think that it's a matter of that style becoming unpopular, but more the failure of DCEU's Snyderverse films (which were awful for their own reasons besides "grounded and realistic") and the prevalence of the MCU and all things inspired by and chasing after the MCU that gives that impression. But the few times filmmakers still go for a more grounded approach, and they do it well, it's still typically a huge hit.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’d like a continuation of the Showa era tbh.
For Emperor and Empire!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'd like to see Gamera as a safe haven for good 'ol crunchy whacky toku fun. I'm talking Image
ALIENS

Part of me wants to see all new creatures, part of me really wants to see Gurion and Viras come back. Either way give don't bring Gyaos out right out the gate!
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun May 23, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

^ Zigra too.
For Emperor and Empire!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:17 pm I'd like to see Gamera as a safe haven for good 'ol crunchy whacky toku fun. I'm talking Image
ALIENS

Part of me wants to see all new creatures, part of me really wants to see Gurion and Viras come back. Either way give don't bring Gyaos out right out the gate!
I think if Shin Ultraman's a success with it's more outlandish looking kaiju, then there's a decent chance that guys like Guiron and Viras could be updated for modern Japanese cinema easily enough.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Taking an original approach would probably work best. We don't need a serious tone, but something that tells a good story, has some element of fun, and introduces a new enemy for Gamera. I'd like to see an unique foe before reintroducing the old foes.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

Evil space children! Forcing Gamera in a dilemma between his traditional role of fighting evil aliens and protecting children. :P

More seriously - I'm fine with continuing thing from the Heisei stuff but I voted for new because I prefer that. I'd love to see some of the classic foes updated a bit.

- Michael

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I actually wouldn't mind a continuation of Showa, just make it a little less silly (we can pretend Super Monster never happened). But realizing some old ideas like Leoman and Garasharp would be kind of cool.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

o.supreme wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:10 am I actually wouldn't mind a continuation of Showa, just make it a little less silly (we can pretend Super Monster never happened). But realizing some old ideas like Leoman and Garasharp would be kind of cool.
I'm aware of Garasharp, but what's Leoman? Sounds like a lion themed Ultraman knockoff (which honestly would be kind of awesome, give Gamera his own Jet Jaguar).

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Vakanai wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:19 pm
o.supreme wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:10 am I actually wouldn't mind a continuation of Showa, just make it a little less silly (we can pretend Super Monster never happened). But realizing some old ideas like Leoman and Garasharp would be kind of cool.
I'm aware of Garasharp, but what's Leoman? Sounds like a lion themed Ultraman knockoff (which honestly would be kind of awesome, give Gamera his own Jet Jaguar).
All I can find is that it was an idea that was nixed for Zigra. No idea what Leoman himself looked like. Maybe he would have been some kind of evil henshin hero, who knows.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:20 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:19 pm
All I can find is that it was an idea that was nixed for Zigra. No idea what Leoman himself looked like. Maybe he would have been some kind of evil henshin hero, who knows.
Sad shame, but at least I'll always have the vision of some Godman looking hero but with even more of a lion mane thing going on in my head.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Yeah, I dont think any concept art of Leoman exists. I just have strong memories of it, because I have a sci-fi/horror film encyclopedia from the early 80's that lists this as a Legit Gamera film :lol: . Pre-internet was so much fun. ;)
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

o.supreme wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:02 am Yeah, I dont think any concept art of Leoman exists. I just have strong memories of it, because I have a sci-fi/horror film encyclopedia from the early 80's that lists this as a Legit Gamera film :lol: .
We sure this just isn't the Gamera version of King Kong vs. Godzilla's "alternate ending?" :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!