What did you love about the Heisei Gamera Trilogy?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Desghidorah
G-Grasper

What did you love about the Heisei Gamera Trilogy?

Post by Desghidorah »

This is probably because I experienced the Heisei Gamera trilogy in a vacuum long before I got to actually converse with other G-Fans, but I actually don't really know why people love the films so much. Lemme clarify, I know the films are good, great even in many regards, I just don't quite know what draws others to them. Usually when I poke around online and see commentators speak of them, the commentary really doesn't actually clarify what they found so endearing (i.e. they'll say "the human cast is excellent" without actually saying what said cast did to stand out so much). Other times I see folks like Blunova adore the series, but many of the things they lament aren't really all that distinct from other kaiju films I know that commentator loathes so I can't tell what made the difference.

So, mind clarifying what exactly got the series to earn the high marks many here give it? I am genuinely curious how folks appreciate it their own way.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: What did you love about the Heisei Gamera Trilogy?

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The action and destruction are a huge part of it. Then there's the increasingly impressive special effects from film to film. Then there's just being all around solid well told stories.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

The miniature sets are in my opinion the greatest of all time even better than any kaiju film. GOTU is my second favorite FILM ever.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm sure there's been a lot of detailed discussion here if you were to really comb through the individual threads for the movies. Are you looking for people to just list off specific details of the movies that appeal to them?

I'm more a fan of GOTU and GIII than I am of GII, so I won't even get into that one right now.

For GOTU, I find the plot to be extremely well structured and well paced, with a steady increase in peril/tension, and with Asagi's bond to Gamera serving as a very compelling device to advance the action, convey exposition, and emotionally connect humans and kaiju. Kaneko ellicits largely more energetic, emotive, and effectively comical performances than we tended to get in Godzilla films of the era, along with a more dynamic visual sensibility. Meanwhile, Higuchi's effects sequences have a sense of immediacy to them that was definitely lacking in Kawakita's work of the time.

As for GIII, the slow burn of the narrative, with kaiju action reserved for a few major dramatic bursts is extremely effective. Ayana's struggle with survivor's guilt gives her one of the most compelling emotional journeys in the whole genre. Kaneko steps up the striking formal visual elements; while Higuchi creates some of the most epic, poetic and beautiful effects imagery ever to grace any genre.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:50 pm The miniature sets are in my opinion the greatest of all time even better than any kaiju film. GOTU is my second favorite FILM ever.
The closeups of miniature destruction are spectacular.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I could say a lot about each movie but like eabaker GOTU and G3 stand out, I just think he convered those pretty well. G2 isn't quite either of those but still has some standout moments.
The plot has good escalation. The winter setting helped it feel unique, and Gamera's entrance is nothing short of epic. Gamera's chest opening up and shooting a giant fire beam was pretty satisfying. The characters serve their purpose and occasionally give a giggle. The score is usual Kow Otani bangers.
Also special shout out to the little tricks Higuchi does such as making Gamera's breath show in the cold, or that low-angle shot where you can see the snow shaking off the phone booth as Gamera stomps near it.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.