Does anybody find the heisei gamera trilogy to be overrated

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Does anybody find the heisei gamera trilogy to be overrated

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^^^^^ NO WAY! I haven't checked the Arrow set if this made it on there, but those interviews with Higuchi just bring me right back. Can't wait to watch this later.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

I find the Heisei Gamera trilogy to be three of the best giant monster movies ever made. They’re hardly known outside of kaiju fandom, though, and they aren’t universally appreciated even within kaiju fandom, so if anything they’re underrated.

When it comes to sheer ambition, genre-defining innovation and well-honed determination, they’re right up there with the original King Kong, Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, King Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Monster Zero, Daimajin and Jurassic Park. There are plenty of other giant monster flicks that come close but nothing else really stacks up in that regard.

For all of its modern flourishes, G1 is very old-fashioned in its approach, whereas G3 is decidedly new-fashioned. G2 strikes a very riveting balance between old and new styles of monster moviemaking and, coupled with its unique emphasis on sci-fi over fantasy, that does make it the most accessible entry in the trilogy for a pure monster fix.

While I get that, and even though I personally love all three of these films equally, I think it’s evident that Shusuke Kaneko, Shinji Higuchi, screenwriter Kazunori Ito and all of the cast and crew consistently stepped up their game with each entry, culminating with the third film. The level of artistic discipline in every shot of Gamera 3 is nearly unparalleled in this genre and hasn't been matched since.

tbeasley wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:00 pm
That's nothing new as far as movies go unfortunately, and imagine what happened on older movies. I remember reading somewhere that Toho crew members back in the day would dump old paint and chemicals in a nearby lake or river by the studio lot.
Trying to find this quote too - I remember it was one of the older special effects guys talking about the early days and how they didn't know any better back then.

Sorry for the tangent but ever since I posted these was like, "I better back these statements up."
Indeed, that anecdote comes from Koichi Kawakita and Shinji Higuchi’s audio commentary for The Mysterians, which was originally recorded for Toho’s 2001 Japanese DVD and later included on Media Blasters’ 2005 US DVD.

Kawakita and Higuchi were accompanied on the track by a host/moderator identified only as Mr. Ishii. About 33 minutes in, when the five scientists are in the Mysterian base talking to the leader, Ishii mentions that the Mysterian costumes were made of fiberglass that irritated the actors' skin. Kawakita says that back then they would try lots of different materials to make sets without regard for pollution. Higuchi replies that it's now hard to find good materials for sets because they're all pollution-free. Kawakita describes how they used to pour leftover paints into the Sengawa River after they finished painting. He refers to that time as a golden age for filmmaking and Higuchi quips that they didn't know what was good or bad for the environment, to which Ishii says that was why Godzilla vs. Hedorah came about.

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:28 pm ^^^^^ NO WAY! I haven't checked the Arrow set if this made it on there, but those interviews with Higuchi just bring me right back. Can't wait to watch this later.
All of the special features from previous US Gamera DVD & BRD releases are preserved in Arrow's sets. That interview with Shinji Higuchi is included in its entirety on Arrow's Guardian of the Universe disc!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:34 pm I find the Heisei Gamera trilogy to be three of the best giant monster movies ever made. They’re hardly known outside of kaiju fandom, though, and they aren’t universally appreciated even within kaiju fandom, so if anything they’re underrated.

When it comes to sheer ambition, genre-defining innovation and well-honed determination, they’re right up there with the original King Kong, Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, King Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Monster Zero, Daimajin and Jurassic Park. There are plenty of other giant monster flicks that come close but nothing else really stacks up in that regard.

For all of its modern flourishes, G1 is very old-fashioned in its approach, whereas G3 is decidedly new-fashioned. G2 strikes a very riveting balance between old and new styles of monster moviemaking and, coupled with its unique emphasis on sci-fi over fantasy, that does make it the most accessible entry in the trilogy for a pure monster fix.

While I get that, and even though I personally love all three of these films equally, I think it’s evident that Shusuke Kaneko, Shinji Higuchi, screenwriter Kazunori Ito and all of the cast and crew consistently stepped up their game with each entry, culminating with the third film. The level of artistic discipline in every shot of Gamera 3 is nearly unparalleled in this genre and hasn't been matched since.
Well said!

Feels like the original Godzilla and Shin Godzilla are the go-to entries for the more casual fan when asked what the great Japanese kaiju movies are - and they are great, but if only the Gamera Trilogy could be in there, too! Pump up its place in the pop consciousness! They're terrific, and give a better sense of the genre overall.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:34 pm I find the Heisei Gamera trilogy to be three of the best giant monster movies ever made. They’re hardly known outside of kaiju fandom, though, and they aren’t universally appreciated even within kaiju fandom, so if anything they’re underrated.

Wholeheartedly agree! I always raise a brow when one calls them overrated even in the fandom, outside of TK and maybe some Youtubers like Blunova I rarely see the trilogy get the attention it deserves. I frequently see them flippantly written off with mentalities of being "as good as Heisei Godzilla" and whatnot; or fanboys grumbling about how they don't like it cause "muh Godziller." The Gamera trilogy is fascinating and beautiful to watch because it just keeps getting better. You genuinely get to watch supremely talented directors and craftsmen at, arguably, the peak of the careers. Especially at a time when the genre had tapered into mediocrity.
Resized Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:50 amI frequently see them flippantly written off with mentalities of being "as good as Heisei Godzilla" and whatnot; or fanboys grumbling about how they don't like it cause "muh Godziller."
Lol. Got links to this.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:34 pmIndeed, that anecdote comes from Koichi Kawakita and Shinji Higuchi’s audio commentary for The Mysterians, which was originally recorded for Toho’s 2001 Japanese DVD and later included on Media Blasters’ 2005 US DVD.

Kawakita and Higuchi were accompanied on the track by a host/moderator identified only as Mr. Ishii. About 33 minutes in, when the five scientists are in the Mysterian base talking to the leader, Ishii mentions that the Mysterian costumes were made of fiberglass that irritated the actors' skin. Kawakita says that back then they would try lots of different materials to make sets without regard for pollution. Higuchi replies that it's now hard to find good materials for sets because they're all pollution-free. Kawakita describes how they used to pour leftover paints into the Sengawa River after they finished painting. He refers to that time as a golden age for filmmaking and Higuchi quips that they didn't know what was good or bad for the environment, to which Ishii says that was why Godzilla vs. Hedorah came about.
Thank you! I knew I remembered something like this. (It's been years since I listened to any of the Media Blasters commentaries.)

And well said on the Gamera trilogy!