Favorite Heisei Gamera Film

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

Waht is your favorite Hesiei Gamera Film?

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
26%
Gamera 2: Attack of Legion
26%
Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris
33%
Gamera the Brave (yes this is still a Heisei Gamera film)
15%

Total votes: 27

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Favorite Heisei Gamera Film

Post by Chrispy_G »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Thanks for including Gamera, the Brave. It was annoying when fans dubbed that "the Millennium series" Gamera movie, despite Toho only using that branding for the 2000s Godzilla films. I'm not sure what Tsuburaya did with Ultraman but Toei used "Heisei series" for Kamen Rider and Super Sentai until -you know- the Heisei era ended.
You’re welcome dude. I think the idea of a ‘Millennium Gamera Series’ is redundant anyway.
Well, I think mostly because it is just a Gamera Millennium Film, not a reboot.

For me, I completely do think of "The Brave" as the "Millennium Film" because for me, I never think of the eras in terms of the corresponding years, so much as I just use them to refer to distinct continuities or to films sectioned together in the "production timeline" after any kind of break in continuity or hiatus in production.

For me...the Godzilla Millennium Era is 98-2004 because the Heisei Era/Continuity ends with Destoroyah, so after that, something new HAS to start.

Just as the Gamera Trilogy, despite going 95-99, is still the Heisei Trilogy.....even though Godzilla films from 98 and 99 are in the "Millennium Era"....and the Heisei Trilogy ends after 3 years. So anything that came next, unless it was a literal "Gamera 4", would HAVE to represent the start of something new.

And with The Brave being a new reboot and 7 years after Revenge of Iris....I just can't think of it as being part of the "Heisei Era" or "Heisei Series"....so it is the Millennium Reboot, Millennium Film, Millennium Era for me.

Still, like I said....with Gamera The Brave just being one film, I mostly just think of it as "Just Gamera The Brave" as opposed to any kind of distinct era....but I most certainly can't think of it being grouped in with the Heisei Trilogy, because the Heisei Trilogy is very much a contained, stand-alone thing.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gamera, the Brave is officially part of the Heisei Gamera series.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Poor Brave, right now the other three films are tied at #1 (surprising), with it being at the bottom.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I love Gamera The Brave for what it is, but I tend to forget the film exists from time to time. Seeing it in theaters was something I will always remember though, I cant describe how epic in particular that film felt. I think somehow I knew it would perhaps be the last Gamera movie released. I really need to revisit the film.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Terasawa wrote:Thanks for including Gamera, the Brave. It was annoying when fans dubbed that "the Millennium series" Gamera movie, despite Toho only using that branding for the 2000s Godzilla films. I'm not sure what Tsuburaya did with Ultraman but Toei used "Heisei series" for Kamen Rider and Super Sentai until -you know- the Heisei era ended.
I know the post-2010 Sentai and Rider shows have been called the "Neo-Heisei" era...but I honestly have no idea if that moniker has been used in official materials or is just a fan term, as I don't really care for that period.

The Ultraman shows starting with Ginga, and actually continuing into Taiga, which was the first show of the Reiwa era, have been given the moniker of "New Generation", which portrays them as their own era kind of similar to Toho's Millennium series.

Anyways, Gamera the Brave for me. Almost went with Guardian of the Universe, but Brave is such a sweet little movie, whereas I find the trilogy a little hard to keep up with given all of its lore and stuff (Not to mention the excessive fanwank they get). I'll definitely be revisiting them when Arrow's set arrives though.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I don't see how the trilogy is hard to follow... the first sets everything up, the second is more of its own adventure, while the third ties back to the first wrapping everything up. Most if not all trilogies follow that method and Heisei Gamera does that extremely well.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Terasawa wrote:Gamera, the Brave is officially part of the Heisei Gamera series.
Yep, "officially" it is part of the Heisei Era.

It shares no continuity with the Heisei Trilogy.

It was released 7 years after the Heisei Trilogy.

It was released on the heels of a sequence of Godzilla films known as the Millennium era.

All 4 of the above things are true. So each to their own.

I hardly care how it gets grouped, it is very clearly something SEPARATE from the Heisei Trilogy whether it gets "officially" recognized or not...like that REALLY means all that much anyways. Most of the time this stuff just seems like convenience of branding on behalf of the studios anyway.

Return of Godzilla was made during the Showa Period but it starts the Heisei Era largely because Toho feels like it.

The Millennium Era was made during the Heisei Period but it is its own thing largely because Toho feels like it.

The justifications for these discrepancies are usually listed as being things like "Well RoG launched the continuity all of the Heisei films followed" and "Well the Millennium movies are clearly a separate thing from the previous Heisei Era continuity so it needed a new branding"

Well...with Gamera the Brave we see all of the signs of the same thing. It is produced during the same era as the previous set of films, but it is a reboot years later with no shared continuity to those films. As much as it might be simpler for Kadokawa to group it with or attach it to the Heisei Trilogy for convenience or branding or added prestige or the fact that one film having an 'era' might seem silly or WHATEVER....it is still separated from the Heisei Trilogy in virtually every way.

Apologies...it really is a nonsense, quite unimportant thing to go on a rant about.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."