Fvaorite Showa Gamera Monster

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

What is your favorite Showa Gamera Kaiju?

Barugon
46%
Gyaos
15%
Viras
4%
Guiron
27%
Jiger
No votes
Zigra
8%

Total votes: 26

Voyager
Keizer

Fvaorite Showa Gamera Monster

Post by Voyager »

I love knockoff Rodan who had an anvil dropped on his head. I like him better than Heisei Gyaos tbh.
For Emperor and Empire!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Fvaorite Showa Gamera Monster

Post by Ivo-goji »

Guiron perfectly embodies the spirit of that era of monster design without being excessively wacky looking. He's easier to take seriously than, like, Megalon or Gigan, but still delightfully cartoony.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Barugon. It's probably because at first glance, he's kinda generic but then you realize he has ice powers and a rainbow laser from his back.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Guiron is great but I love Showa Gaos.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Zigra. We need more shark monsters.

But also, the Showa Gamera series has nothing to do with Toho. Shouldn't this be moved to Monster Manor?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Barugon is a baaaaaad mother
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Gyaos is the perfect Gamera foe in any era - the flying man-eater against the flying turtle hero/guardian.

Barugon is cool but I might (and forgive me) prefer Zedus. I like Viras and Zigra as deep sea inspired creatures are always cool.

Guiron is interesting from the perspective he's essentially his planet's version of Gamera - protecting the populace from Space Gyaos. Jiger has a similar contrast in that she's from Mu while Gamera hails from Atlantis.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

On a purely visual aesthetic, I have to go with Guiron.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Gyaos put up a good fight; he's probably the better and more interesting kaiju overall, but I voted for Guiron. A crawling green space reptile with a giant knife for a head and telekinetically controlled shurikens fired from the sides of the blade. That, and he laughs while he slices his enemies up like salami. Pure Daikaiju-eiga lunacy. Where else would you find this?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

FEAR THE RAINBOW MOTHERFUCKERS! Taste the rainbow.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I'll just rank the bastards. Before doing so, I'd like to note that it's interesting Godzilla is usually as strong or stronger than his opponents, while Gamera is usually weaker. Viras and maybe Zigra aside, all of Gamera's opponents have had him majorly outmatched.
1) Barugon: While it annoys me that he has basically the same name as the superior floppy-eared Baragon, he's still Gamera's coolest/wildest Showa opponent and starred in what is hands-down the best Showa Gamera movie. A gem-eating lizard born from a ruby egg with a lethal tongue, ice breath and a rainbow ray of death? What's not to love?
2) Gyaos: Gamera's best known opponent is definitely one of his coolest. While I prefer the Heisei interpretation of Gyaos, the Showa counterpart is definitely the deadlier of the two. My favorite part of Showa Gyaos is his fire retardant breast spray.
3) Guiron: Old Knifehead is pretty dope, too, especially for the scene where he makes Gyaos sushi. Too bad he didn't get a better film. On a side note, I feel like he was a precursor to Gigan; a brutal bladed monster that made his enemy bleed like no other.
4) Jiger: Probably Showa Gamera's strongest opponent, with an interesting array of abilities (particularly her unorthodox method of reproduction). I'm not huge on her design, otherwise she'd probably place second.
5) Zigra: I love sharks and Zigra's design is actually pretty awesome. My problem is the fact that he talks. Talking kaiju are lame. He also suffers the most degrading demise of all Gamera's opponents. And his movie sucks the big one. Otherwise he'd be toward the top of the heap.
6) Viras: The one Gamera enemy I'm not fond of. Viras just looks... dumb. My friend's dad watched the movie with us when we were kids and nicknamed him "The Parakeet Squid". Yeah, pretty much. His spear head is cool, but that's about it.

To be honest, I prefer Legion and Iris to any of Gamera's Showa opponents. Both are among my top ten all-time favorite kaiju. Zedus is actually pretty cool too, I'd rank him between Jiger and Zigra.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Sun May 10, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Barugon is a ripoff, but a cool monster, Gyaos is a ripoff AND has a horrible suit (the Heisei version is an incredible improvement), Virus is horrible, Guiron is horrible, Jiger is okay but the proportions are all off, Zigra is interesting but has a horrible suit.

I guess I'll pick Barugon on virtue of his being the only movie that's watchable.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Barugon is a ripoff
Besides then name, how? Pretty sure Baragon doesn't spew skreoonking rainbows of death from his back.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Gyaos is a ripoff AND has a horrible suit
Blasphemy!

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

"Rip-off" is terribly overused when it comes to kaiju and tokusatsu - it's like we forget Godzilla came from the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. That doesn't make him an inherently lesser character.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Guiron is a rip off of a knife!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Guiron easily - there's just something delightfully cartoony and wicked about him having like a butcher's knife for a head and those two throwing stars he controls. That's like a second grader's verion of brutal and edgy, it's so crazy yet effective. I'd love to see a modern take on such a bizarre blade-y monster.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Barugon. He’s a badass mix of a crocodile and a chameleon with that tongue, can fire off ice streams and rainbow beams, what’s not to love? I’d love to see a modern take on Barugon like how Gyaos got theirs in the Heisei era. I know Zedus is close in concept, but still.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Dynomy-DX wrote:Barugon. He’s a badass mix of a crocodile and a chameleon with that tongue, can fire off ice streams and rainbow beams, what’s not to love? I’d love to see a modern take on Barugon like how Gyaos got theirs in the Heisei era. I know Zedus is close in concept, but still.
There was a Gamera vs Barugon manga that takes place between Gamera 2 and 3. It even featured Zigra and Jiger in cameos.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon May 11, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.