Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Re: Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

Post by Gojira1604 »

Gamera's relationship/rivalry with the Gyaos, which I feel the Heisei trilogy kind of made a staple of him since it was featured in the beginning of Gamera The Brave and that 50th anniversary trailer, would come off as an overdone trope since they already kind of did that with Godzilla and the MUTOs and with Kong and the skullcrawlers in the Monsterverse series.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I they make another Gamera film (whether it be in Hollywood or Japan), I think they should refrain from using Gyaos for once. He/she has been featured in no less than 3 of the four Gamera films made since the Heisei era began. They should save the character for a potential sequel to any hypothetical reboot.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gojira1604 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:17 pm Gamera's relationship/rivalry with the Gyaos, which I feel the Heisei trilogy kind of made a staple of him since it was featured in the beginning of Gamera The Brave and that 50th anniversary trailer, would come off as an overdone trope since they already kind of did that with Godzilla and the MUTOs and with Kong and the skullcrawlers in the Monsterverse series.
Some will say overdue and others will question why he doesn't have a rival like Godzilla and Kong. Godzilla and Kong in this case have a new rival in every film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

They could do a spin on the dynamic. Maybe Gamera’s the last of his kind escaping the killer of his species, a Super Gyaos equivalent. Then he has to grow into his role as the Guardian of the Universe. Kind of a Gamera The Brave vibe.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Dynomy-DX wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:51 pm They could do a spin on the dynamic. Maybe Gamera’s the last of his kind escaping the killer of his species, a Super Gyaos equivalent. Then he has to grow into his role as the Guardian of the Universe. Kind of a Gamera The Brave vibe.
I didn't enjoy Gamera The Brave. I'd rather Gamera already be established and his past be discussed in tie in comics/content. People don't need origins for monsters.

That being said them briefly explaining perhaps he's a captain marvel type of hero. He saved worlds, and he comes to Earth to help against Gyaos or something.

I wouldn't mind them implying Gamera is as strong if not far more powerful than Godzilla due to his more vast array of abilities and reliance on Mana instead of nuclear energy.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:40 pm Hard not to love this picture.
https://scontent.fhio2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=6087AD7F
Very difficult. I doubt the rights to Gamera would be hard or even expensive to acquire. But it's a risky move.

On one hand Gamera is just as known as Godzilla and Kong if not a tad bit less. Def up there with Ultraman, Pulsagari and the like with franchises and fanbases at least. It wouldn't be a bad asset to acquire.

But on the other hand. You lock yourself into a corner where you now have to revive a character who the GA has never heard of practically. It'd be best to BvS it and introduce Gamera, Wonder Woman style in another film.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

ernesth100 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:45 pm
daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:40 pm Hard not to love this picture.
https://scontent.fhio2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=6087AD7F
Very difficult. I doubt the rights to Gamera would be hard or even expensive to acquire. But it's a risky move.

On one hand Gamera is just as known as Godzilla and Kong if not a tad bit less. Def up there with Ultraman, Pulsagari and the like with franchises and fanbases at least. It wouldn't be a bad asset to acquire.

But on the other hand. You lock yourself into a corner where you now have to revive a character who the GA has never heard of practically. It'd be best to BvS it and introduce Gamera, Wonder Woman style in another film.
Exactly. Starting off the bat with Gamera (like a solo movie) would be quite the hefty challenge. Maybe end Phase 2 with that new character that clearly gets its star moment in the movie and then expand it afterwards to a Gamera solo movie. They could've honestly done this with Mothra too but well we know how KOTM ended up

Also they would have to negotiate with Toho whether they are fine with the idea, the idea of promoting a former rival. Maybe they don't care since Toho is clearly the winner here and Kadokawa or whatever company has him has no chance to even be on the same level as Toho?
Long Live The King

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

The thing is this gives the Gamera name more gound. Toho wasn't set on reviving Godzilla until the 2014 film came around.

I can imagine Gamera's owners would be the same. The moment his name gets enough publicity they'll take the opportunity and run with it. It's only the natural option. The question isn't does Toho want to promote a rival. It's do they want to revive one?

Given Kong is as popular as Godzilla(if not slightly more due to age) I don't think Toho would have problem as it's their universe that's giving both characters life. This they technically get some leg room to call the shots if needed.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I never got the argument that you couldn't start with a Gamera solo film and need some team up film with Godzilla and/or Kong first. I mean, The Meg, Rampage, the first Pacific Rim all say hey.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:02 pm I never got the argument that you couldn't start with a Gamera solo film and need some team up film with Godzilla and/or Kong first. I mean, The Meg, Rampage, the first Pacific Rim all say hey.
Pacific Rim border line flopped and the other two had smaller budgets with more believable characters.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:02 pm I never got the argument that you couldn't start with a Gamera solo film and need some team up film with Godzilla and/or Kong first. I mean, The Meg, Rampage, the first Pacific Rim all say hey.
The Meg is part of a popular multi-book series, Rampage was based off a popular game starring the Rock and Pacific Rim struggled.

Remember only 145$ million for MEG came from the U.S. and Canada, Pacific Rim only 101$ million, same with Rampage in the U.S and Canada. If it wasn't for China and other territories all of them would have flopped. The MEG being the most successful with 540$ million worldwide.

Monster movies generally cost 100$ million to make, 100$ million to market. A studio is not going to risk a Gamera movie of that budget until waters have been tested and feedback is extremely positive.

At best, if a ''Monarch'' TV show is produced they could introduce Gamera and see audience reaction, then bring him in a Kong or Godzilla sequel and from there see how general audiences appeal to him for a solo film.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I do not care, because if he does, Gamera will be introduced to a part of the fandom that is slightly less than stellar *cough* *cough* Rule 34 Artists *Cough* *Cough*
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:27 pmPacific Rim border line flopped and the other two had smaller budgets with more believable characters.
XxComablack1937xX wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:43 amPacific Rim struggled.
How is it then that it got a sequel? Granted which sucked.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

Chances of Gamera in the MV, Unfortunately none.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Voyager wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:03 am I do not care, because if he does, Gamera will be introduced to a part of the fandom that is slightly less than stellar *cough* *cough* Rule 34 Artists *Cough* *Cough*
Bit of a naive assumption that it didn't happen already, unfortunately.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

XxComablack1937xX wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:43 am At best, if a ''Monarch'' TV show is produced they could introduce Gamera and see audience reaction, then bring him in a Kong or Godzilla sequel and from there see how general audiences appeal to him for a solo film.
I agree. The absolute best way to introduce Gamera into the MV would be through Godzilla’s newly rumored animated series
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:20 am
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:27 pmPacific Rim border line flopped and the other two had smaller budgets with more believable characters.
XxComablack1937xX wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:43 amPacific Rim struggled.
How is it then that it got a sequel? Granted which sucked.
PR2 was made becasue they wanted to get it into the MV for my understanding.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:27 pm
Pacific Rim border line flopped and the other two had smaller budgets with more believable characters.
It did well enough to get a sequel (now that one flopped/bombed) and an anime. I would love for Gamera to flop so hard compared to the nothing we've got right now.
XxComablack1937xX wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:43 am
The Meg is part of a popular multi-book series, Rampage was based off a popular game starring the Rock and Pacific Rim struggled.
I highly doubt that the fans of the book series or the game series contributed much if anything to either of those films' success. And a Gamera movie should include a star of the Rock's level. So, considering that the "popular book/game series" might account for at most 1% of the audience if we're generous, and including a big Hollywood star is a smart move, why not?
Remember only 145$ million for MEG came from the U.S. and Canada, Pacific Rim only 101$ million, same with Rampage in the U.S and Canada. If it wasn't for China and other territories all of them would have flopped. The MEG being the most successful with 540$ million worldwide.
And Gamera would not be showed in China why? If those movies became profitable thanks to China, then China should be part of the reason Gamera could become profitable. Not exactly fair to start making exclusions just for Gamera to not make money right?
Monster movies generally cost 100$ million to make, 100$ million to market. A studio is not going to risk a Gamera movie of that budget until waters have been tested and feedback is extremely positive.
Or they could just copy from The Meg's and Rampage's playbook. Budget and market the film the same as those two, include a star like Statham or the Rock, go big in China, make a similar profit. What's wrong with that?
At best, if a ''Monarch'' TV show is produced they could introduce Gamera and see audience reaction, then bring him in a Kong or Godzilla sequel and from there see how general audiences appeal to him for a solo film.
A Gamera solo film is too big an ask, but you want to put faith in a Monarch series?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The easiest way to get eyes on Gamera would be Godzilla vs Gamera then do the solo Gamera film.

Same way Black Panther did I'm Civil War. He stole the show there did loom what his film did.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image